By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No PS4 NEO this year?

StokedUp said:
It won't be this year, I believe it was going to be but they changed their plans after the reveal of the xbox scorpion. I reckon the XOS ended up being a better spec than the neo, and Sony being Sony they like to have the highest spec console so I think they might of had to change some hardware and pushed back release.

If Sony delay to match the specs of the Scorpio then they'll lose the advantage because they have to produce the console and not just slap some numbers down on a piece of paper and wait over a year to try and meet that expectation. I'm more or less certain that the Neo will release this year. PR is where the battle is won or lost. Whoever controls the narrative, controls the perception.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
StokedUp said:
It won't be this year, I believe it was going to be but they changed their plans after the reveal of the xbox scorpion. I reckon the XOS ended up being a better spec than the neo, and Sony being Sony they like to have the highest spec console so I think they might of had to change some hardware and pushed back release.

Would be such a waste of money I don't see that happening, not only money but time for both Sony and devs. They sent dev kits out months ago I don't see them changing hardware. Possibly just overclocking the GPU. If they get out a year ahead of Microsoft and at a cheaper price, they'll still have the advantage, regardless of power. 

FIT_Gamer said:

That'll likely happen any ways. Now that they're claiming 4K 60fps on games, there is no way in hell the Scorpio will only be 6TF. Unless they have some kind of voodoo magic we're not aware of. 

Yes, that's 'preliminary' PR in order to suggest possibly higher specs. They know their fanbase and then the media will begin that speculation but because it's speculation and not an out and out statement, MS are in the clear if the Scorpio IS exactly as they advertised. MS are already putting out adverts with games running at 4K on PC and ending the trailers with an adert for the XB1s. Do you think MS wouldn't try and control the narrative with more smoke and mirrors in the future? Look at how MS used the word 'Parity' to discribe games upscaled from 700p to 1080p. Then they started putting 1080p (parity) on their game boxes.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
StokedUp said:

If Sony delay to match the specs of the Scorpio then they'll lose the advantage because they have to produce the console and not just slap some numbers down on a piece of paper and wait over a year to try and meet that expectation. I'm more or less certain that the Neo will release this year. PR is where the battle is won or lost. Whoever controls the narrative, controls the perception.

They ll have 1 year to get their message across, when all MS will be able to say is "wait and see".

Still... doesnt price factor into this at all? is it just power?

Supposed MS makes this 8 teraflop monster console, they call the Xbox Two, and it launches at 599$.

The narritive can easily become "it plays all the same games, the difference in resolution is barely noticeable, and it costs 200$ more".

I dont think Sony is in a bad spot at all.

JRPGfan said:

They ll have 1 year to get their message across, when all MS will be able to say is "wait and see".

Supposed MS makes this 8 teraflop monster console, they call the Xbox Two, and it launches at 599$.

The narritive can easily become "it plays all the same games, the difference in resolution is barely noticeable, and it costs 200$ more".

Well clearly, yes. Why else would MS announce the Scorpio by promoting the specs? If Sony sold a 100m PS4s by the end of next year it wouldn't matter as far as the press or PR goes if MS announce the Scorpio as a 9th gen console. People would just move on from talking about the PS4 winning gen 8 and start talking about the XB2 winning gen 9. It's the ONLY solution for MS. If they don't then that's a tacit admission they're not interested in consoles any more and they'll move even deeper into PC centric gaming. I believe it's the latter but I'm simply offering a solution to give them a chance in the former.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
GribbleGrunger said:

$599 they'd be easily taking $300 hit at that price. Don't see it. 

Sony has a special hardware conference in a few days. The Neo should launch this year. They wouldn't make a special conference only for a slim, and can't announce a new console for early 2017 so soon because it would lower the holidays sales.

Everything points to a holiday release, except speculations about a MS console we know nothing about yet...

Bandorr said:
Calling the scorpion xb2" is a worse Idea than the Wii u.

It conveys the completely wrong message.

That's because you're looking at the current perception and not taking into account what a years worth of PR can do. It only takes a week of Twitters to completely change the narrative nowadays. Sony had ONE conference showing game after game and suddenly the industry is talking about how 'this is what Sony do'. They take ONE instance and portray it in abolutes instead of waiting to find out if it's a 'trend' and THEN drawing conclusions. The internet is reactionary and childish in that way. You've only got to look at the Amazon thread to see that in action. The PS4 can be in the lead for a year and the moment I post the XB1 in the lead you genuinely get people stating 'Sony are done'. That's the internet and everything it entails.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Barkley said:

And how is changing the name of a console and labelling it a "9th gen machine" an advantage? The NX will be a '9th gen machine', will that give it a significant advantage over ps4/xbo?

Generations are meaningless at this point.

Let's just say I agree with Colin Moriarty. Perception is everything in the console business. Like I said, I'm not saying this 'definitely' gives MS the advantage, just a 'better shot'. If they don't do something then they're done. Sony are in an interesting position too. A cheaper PS4 will broaden their market whilst a Neo will cement the current market. On paper it appears Sony are in the driving seat and the only move I can see as viable for MS is to do what I've suggested. It was a smart move to announce the Scorpio in light of their current situation. I used to think it wasn't but I've given it more thought. There WILL be a slowing down of XB1s sales as the release date of Scorpio grows nearer. That's another reason why calling it the XB2 might be wise. It 'could' create renewed enthusiasm from the press and console fans.

One thing I will guarentee: The press will constantly discuss whether the Scorpio is a true next gen console while the Neo is only a half step. GUARENTEED. Watch that narrative take hold - trust me. Forums will be full of fans calling the Neo only a 'half step'. 'The Scorpio's step child' is likely to be the go to insult.

Lol, what does it change anything if MS call it XB2. Its all about whether MS can differentiate XB2 to from XB1, with games looking notably better and next gen. Just rendering XB1 games at 4K changes nothing. MS' exclusive output has been very weak and what little games they publish they certainly won't be locking 20-30M XB1 owners out of it.

It'd be disastrous for MS if they think they can kickstart the 9th gen on their own 3 years too early. PS5 is gonna come around 2019/2020, 6-7 years everyone is itching for a new gen. Sony answers with true new hardware, and MS has a 2-3 year outdated hardware. (and they'll likely have another iteration by the time PS5 comes out, and face everyone's backlash because their 2 year old Scorpio consoles cant play the newest games.)

Turkish said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Let's just say I agree with Colin Moriarty. Perception is everything in the console business. Like I said, I'm not saying this 'definitely' gives MS the advantage, just a 'better shot'. If they don't do something then they're done. Sony are in an interesting position too. A cheaper PS4 will broaden their market whilst a Neo will cement the current market. On paper it appears Sony are in the driving seat and the only move I can see as viable for MS is to do what I've suggested. It was a smart move to announce the Scorpio in light of their current situation. I used to think it wasn't but I've given it more thought. There WILL be a slowing down of XB1s sales as the release date of Scorpio grows nearer. That's another reason why calling it the XB2 might be wise. It 'could' create renewed enthusiasm from the press and console fans.

One thing I will guarentee: The press will constantly discuss whether the Scorpio is a true next gen console while the Neo is only a half step. GUARENTEED. Watch that narrative take hold - trust me. Forums will be full of fans calling the Neo only a 'half step'. 'The Scorpio's step child' is likely to be the go to insult.

Lol, what does it change anything if MS call it XB2. Its all about whether MS can differentiate XB2 to from XB1, with games looking notably better and next gen. Just rendering XB1 games at 4K changes nothing. MS' exclusive output has been very weak and what little games they publish they certainly won't be locking 20-30M XB1 owners out of it.

It'd be disastrous for MS if they think they can kickstart the 9th gen on their own 3 years too early. PS5 is gonna come around 2019/2020, 6-7 years everyone is itching for a new gen. Sony answers with true new hardware, and MS has a 2-3 year outdated hardware.

Wait, Nintendo has been really successful in their early launch of this gen with the Wii U, it's obviously a great choice :)