By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No PS4 NEO this year?

Call me crazy, but I'm beginning to have this sneaking suspicion that the Neo wont be released this year.

Now there is some evidence suggesting that it will; case in point being the information passed on from the guy that made sketches of what the PS4s looked like almost 2/3 months ago (who from all indications works at whereever these consoles are assembled) "figuratively" saying that they also are making "another one" that weighs 10lbs. 

However, looking at this slim, the PSVr all coming this year it's beginning to seem likely to me that Sony would just push the Neo release to febuary or March next year. 

Which will totally suck for me because I have already sold my PS4 in anticipation of a Neo reveal next month and a release shortly after. But that was before the slim leaked.

When do y'all think the Neo gets released? 

Around the Network

It's really difficulty to say, especially as Sony seem to leaning towards the apple approach of announce and release almost instantly. I mean the Slim is still unannounced, it'll probably launch the same day they officially announce it so who knows... hopefully we'll find out soonish.

I'm 50/50 between October/November and March at the moment.

I think it was going to release this November with when the leaks about Scorpio and it's specs came out a week before E3 they removed it's reveal from their  E3 conference to improve its specs to around the same as the Scorpio and we will see it next year sometime.

WoodenPints said:

I think it was going to release this November with when the leaks about Scorpio and it's specs came out a week before E3 they removed it's reveal from their  E3 conference to improve its specs to around the same as the Scorpio and we will see it next year sometime.

I highly doubt that, I don't think it was meant to be revealed at e3, and I don't believe they have made any modifications as a direct response to the Scorpio specs.

MS kind of have Sony in a jam here. If Sony release an iterative console this year or early next year then MS can simply call the Scorpio the XB2 and so the perception will be they're leading in the 9th generation. If Sony decide to release the Neo this year or early next year and try to one up MS by calling it the PS5 in order to try and get an early lead in the 9th generation then all MS has to do is follow through on the iterative 'label' and make it look as if Sony went back on their word. It's actually quite a clever move.

What would make it insteresting is if the PS4 slim was a 4.2tf system and the Neo is the 5.5tf system. It's doubtful but it would be a good move.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
MS kind of have Sony in a jam here. If Sony release an iterative console this year or early next year then MS can simply call the Scorpio the XB2 and so the perception will be they're leading in the 9th generation. If Sony decide to release the Neo this year or early next year and try to one up MS by calling it the PS5 in order to try and get an early lead in the 9th generation then all MS has to do is follow through on the iterative 'label' and make it look as if Sony went back on their word. It's actually quite a clever move.

But if MS don't follower through with making the Scorpio an iterative console then it's them who went back on their word... Scorpio and Neo are both iterative console upgrades and will remain as such.

Neither are really in a corner. Neo will have the advantage of an earlier release, Scorpio will have the advantage of more powerful hardware.

Barkley said:

But if MS don't follower through with making the Scorpio an iterative console then it's them who went back on their word... Scorpio and Neo are both iterative console upgrades and will remain as such.

Neither are really in a corner. Neo will have the advantage of an earlier release, Scorpio will have the advantage of more powerful hardware.

The press are already talking about the Scorpio in terms of a full generation update and a year is a lot of time for people to forget. It gives MS a full year of fake Twitter conversations and PR to reverse the narrative. Hell, it only takes one fake Twitter conversation nowadays to make Phil look like he's got his finger on the pulse. It's as if he reads GAF ...

I expect leaked info about Sony developing the PS5 mid to late 2017. It's a game of Chess.

The PS5 Exists. 

I think they do both at once.
They just market the Neo as a premium device.

GribbleGrunger said:

The press are already talking about the Scorpio in terms of a full generation update and a year is a lot of time for people to forget. It gives MS a full year of fake Twitter conversations and PS to reverse the narrative. Hell, it only takes one fake Twitter conversation nowadays to make Phil look like he's got his finger on the pulse. It's as if he reads GAF ...

I just don't really see Scorpio being labelled as a "Next Gen" machine over an upgraded console much of an advantage... There's nothing to stop Sony from marketing the Neo as the "Next Generation of Gaming" while still having all the games playable on the Original PS4.

Ok now that there's been a presscon announced on 8th as well for Asia I'm gonna say Neo this year. You don't need to have 3 presscons within a week of each other to just announce a slim.