By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No PS4 NEO this year?

GribbleGrunger said:

MS kind of have Sony in a jam here. If Sony release an iterative console this year or early next year then MS can simply call the Scorpio the XB2 and so the perception will be they're leading in the 9th generation. If Sony decide to release the Neo this year or early next year and try to one up MS by calling it the PS5 in order to try and get an early lead in the 9th generation then all MS has to do is follow through on the iterative 'label' and make it look as if Sony went back on their word. It's actually quite a clever move.

What would make it insteresting is if the PS4 slim was a 4.2tf system and the Neo is the 5.5tf system. It's doubtful but it would be a good move.

I don't think that'd work out very well for either Sony or MS. Based on what we know so far, neither the Neo or Scorpio is going to represent a full traditional generation jump (and that's without considering diminishing returns). If people perceive either as a new generation, they're going to be incredibly underwhelmed. Doubly so if they're both looking to push higher resolutions, since relatively few people currently own TV's that can display anything higher than 1080p. That's fine for upgrades just looking to cover their basis with the higher-end parts of the gaming market, but as a generation jump it'd be premature.

Perception is important, but so is meeting the expectations that come with that perception. As it currently stands, neither the Scorpio or Neo look like they'll be able to meet the expectation end of a new-gen perception. 

Around the Network

Didn't Sony said the Neo would be released early 2017?

My thought is PS4 Slim to counter XB1S and in time for holiday season, and PS4 Neo to counter NX launch.

GribbleGrunger said:
Barkley said:

And how is changing the name of a console and labelling it a "9th gen machine" an advantage? The NX will be a '9th gen machine', will that give it a significant advantage over ps4/xbo?

Generations are meaningless at this point.

Let's just say I agree with Colin Moriarty. Perception is everything in the console business. Like I said, I'm not saying this 'definitely' gives MS the advantage, just a 'better shot'. If they don't do something then they're done. Sony are in an interesting position too. A cheaper PS4 will broaden their market whilst a Neo will cement the current market. On paper it appears Sony are in the driving seat and the only move I can see as viable for MS is to do what I've suggested. It was a smart move to announce the Scorpio in light of their current situation. I used to think it wasn't but I've given it more thought. There WILL be a slowing down of XB1s sales as the release date of Scorpio grows nearer. That's another reason why calling it the XB2 might be wise. It 'could' create renewed enthusiasm from the press and console fans.

One thing I will guarentee: The press will constantly discuss whether the Scorpio is a true next gen console while the Neo is only a half step. GUARENTEED. Watch that narrative take hold - trust me. Forums will be full of fans calling the Neo only a 'half step'.

I still dont think it ll matter.

3rd party will still focus on the playstation (before scoripion).

Late 2017 when the scorpio releases, there will be like 70m+  PS4+PS4neo mix.

You dont just ignore those, and premairly develope for a Xbox two (scorpio) thats starting over from stratch.

People will judge the scopio on the merits of what it can do compaired to the PS4 & PS4neo.

If its priced expensively I dont see how that benefits MS even with them going "this is a new gen, its the Xbox Two".

Also even if they had a 1-2year headstart, by the time Playstation 5 launches, it ll probably be even more powerfull than teh Xbox Two.

The question then becomes if the headstart MS can make by calling it a Xbox Two, is big enough to matter.

I dont think it will be, look at the Xbox One.

Fastest selling Xbox to date, and even after nearly 3 years its somewhere around 25m units?

Xbox Two's headstart, compaired to the Playstation 5 will probably be smaller than that, since the Scorpio will be a expensive premium model.

FIT_Gamer said:
It would be stupid of them not release this year. Regardless of power difference they have the larger, more popular brand, and getting a year head start on the Scorpio is going to be a huge advantage.

They'll release this year. The question is, will it be 4.2tf or 5.5tf? The latter gives Sony an even bigger advantage and MS are likely to want to revise their power messaging up. In the mean time Sony will likely forgo their power messaging and spend the whole year talking about 'experiences'.

PR in the next year and a half is going to be fascinating to watch.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
FIT_Gamer said:
It would be stupid of them not release this year. Regardless of power difference they have the larger, more popular brand, and getting a year head start on the Scorpio is going to be a huge advantage.

They'll release this year. The question is, will it be 4.2tf or 5.5tf? The latter gives Sony an even bigger advantage and MS are likely to want to revise their power messaging up. In the mean time Sony will likely forgo their power messaging and spend the whole year talking about 'experiences'.

Price plays a huge role.

If nintendo launches a 612 Gflop NX console... does that mean it wont sell anything just because its slower than the others?

Games , Brand & price of console, are just as big factors as Power.

NX might be 1/3rd of what a normal PS4 is, and Im still going to get one, as long as it has the games I want.

Honestly I dont think Sony need to worry about anything.

That 1 year headstart, and the cheaper price of its console, along with its games library & brand, ontop of it being the leading console this gen, means the extra power of the scorpio is probably a non issue.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

I still dont think it ll matter.

3rd party will still focus on the playstation (before scoripion).

Late 2017 when the scorpio releases, there will be like 70m+  PS4+PS4neo mix.

You dont just ignore those, and premairly develope for a Xbox two (scorpio) thats starting over from stratch.

People will judge the scopio on the merits of what it can do compaired to the PS4 & PS4neo.

If its priced expensively I dont see how that benefits MS even with them going "this is a new gen, its the Xbox Two".

Also even if they had a 1-2year headstart, by the time Playstation 5 launches, it ll probably be even more powerfull than teh Xbox Two.

The question then becomes if the headstart MS can make by calling it a Xbox Two, is big enough to matter.

I dont think it will be, look at the Xbox One.

Fastest selling Xbox to date, and even after nearly 3 years its somewhere around 25m units?

Xbox Two's headstart, compaired to the Playstation 5 will probably be smaller than that, since the Scorpio will be a expensive premium model.

Yes, and that's the point I'm making. Call it an XB2 and suddently you have a XB2 number versus 0 situation.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
JRPGfan said:

Yes, and that's the point I'm making. Call it an XB2 and suddently you have a XB2 number versus 0 situation.

Today's world is ruled by 3rd party.

3rd party isnt going to ignore the 70m+ PS4 user base.

It wont be a XB2 vs 0 situation.

Look at the PS4 vs XB1, the PS4 is like 40% faster than the XB1.

That doesnt mean 3rd party ignore it.

Even if Scorpio is 40% faster than the Neo, it ll be the same thing.

Also the PS4 has a much larger base than the XB1, it would be a much harder pill to swallow as a 3rd party developer.

Factor in a 1year headstart for the PS4 neo, and that extra power of the scorpio probably ends up meaning little.

JRPGfan said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Today's world is ruled by 3rd party.

3rd party isnt going to ignore the 70m+ PS4 user base.

It wont be a XB2 vs 0 situation.

Look at the PS4 vs XB1, the PS4 is like 40% faster than the XB1.

That doesnt mean 3rd party ignore it.

Even if Scorpio is 40% faster than the Neo, it ll be the same thing.

Also the PS4 has a much larger base than the XB1, it would be a much hard pill to swallow as a 3rd party developer.

I'm not following. Why would 3rd party ignore the 70m+ install base and what has that got to do with what I'm saying? If MS call the Scorpio XB2 then they're affectively kicking off the 9th gen while Sony are still supporting the 8th gen. That narrative will be presented by the press and not just the press on the internet. It will read as XB2 9th generation console and Neo as 8th generation console. The ignorance of the masses won't even care if the difference between the consoles isn't huge, they'll just follow the narrative. Perception is everything.

Like I keep saying though, it only 'gives them a shot'. I'm now interested in finding out how Sony's PR is going to 'sell' a new narrative because they will no longer be able to put 'the world most powerful console' in their adverts.

The PS5 Exists. 

It won't be this year, I believe it was going to be but they changed their plans after the reveal of the xbox scorpion. I reckon the XOS ended up being a better spec than the neo, and Sony being Sony they like to have the highest spec console so I think they might of had to change some hardware and pushed back release.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

GribbleGrunger said:
FIT_Gamer said:

PR in the next year and a half is going to be fascinating to watch.

That'll likely happen any ways. Now that they're claiming 4K 60fps on games, there is no way in hell the Scorpio will only be 6TF. Unless they have some kind of voodoo magic we're not aware of.