By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - BBC - the 100 greatest films of the 21st Century

Slimebeast said:
Just another list filled with pretentious junk movies that are praised for their emotionally disturbed and morally perverted characters with unrealistic behaviour you never actually find in real life.

What's so bad about emotionally disturbed and morally perverted characters? And why do they have "unrealistic behaviour"?

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Slimebeast said:
Just another list filled with pretentious junk movies that are praised for their emotionally disturbed and morally perverted characters with unrealistic behaviour you never actually find in real life.

I don't enjoy it, threfore, it's pretentious. 

Pretentious means someone is PRETENDING to enjoy those movies. That's simply not the case for most of us, we actually enjoyed some of those movies, for real, we did. 

Hell, I don't agree with many of the movies that made the list, that was no reason for me to call it pretentious.

Nice try, but you obviously don't even know what the word pretentious means.

Slimebeast said:
LurkerJ said:

I don't enjoy it, threfore, it's pretentious. 

Pretentious means someone is PRETENDING to enjoy those movies. That's simply not the case for most of us, we actually enjoyed some of those movies, for real, we did. 

Hell, I don't agree with many of the movies that made the list, that was no reason for me to call it pretentious.

Certainly better than your EMPTY try to downplay a list of great movies that you didn't enjoy, and felt the need to drag down because you feel bad for your inability to comprehend the meaning behind them... or something. 

Wright said:
Slimebeast said:

What's so bad about emotionally disturbed and morally perverted characters? And why do they have "unrealistic behaviour"?

If you had followed the "cultural critic" scene for a few years and the criticism towards it, you would have understood what I meant.

In cultural critic circles, if a character is emotionally disturbed it gets automatically a ten times higher chance to be appreciated.

If a character is morally perverted it gets automatically a ten times higher chance to be appreciated.

If a character displays unrealistic behaviour it gets automatically a ten times higher chance to be appreciated (while the critic foolishly believes the behaviour actually mirrors the behaviour of humanity and/or the behaviour of the critic himself, which is never actually the case).

If a character is political (and of course the political message must be left) it gets automatically a ten times higher chance to be appreciated.

For Spielberg films Lincoln, Munich, and The Adventures of Tintin would have been better choices then A.I. and for Ang Lee films Life of Pi would have been a better choice then Brokeback Mountain.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Slimebeast said:

Certainly better than your EMPTY try to downplay a list of great movies that you didn't enjoy, and felt the need to drag down because you feel bad for your inability to comprehend the meaning behind them... or something. 

Please, at least look up the damn word.

LurkerJ said:

I'd swipe Lost in Translation with The Virgin Suicides, a much better Sofia Coppola movie.

Problem is Virgin Suicides is from 99.

Slimebeast said:

Yet this is the most pretentious comment of the whole thread by far. Good Job.

LurkerJ said:
Slimebeast said:

Bingo.

Chris Hu said:
For Spielberg films Lincoln, Munich, and The Adventures of Tintin would have been better choices then A.I. and for Ang Lee films Life of Pi would have been a better choice then Brokeback Mountain.

Actually, and now I may be pretentious, but A.I. is an incredible movie and Spielberg's best.

In real life I've never heard anybody like it though.

I've only watch 5 of them (memento, inception, the dark knight, finding nemo and ratatouille). I've seen bits of others but never fully watch them.

Slimebeast said:
LurkerJ said:

Please, at least look up the damn word.

Can you honestly say all the 100 movies in the list are "pretentious" and not actually good? All 100 of them?

I haven't watched many of them, I haven't liked many of them, but it's a big list and it is impossible to end up hating all or loving all.