By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS+ price increasing in the United States, Canada and Brazil on September 22nd

If PC can have free online, why can't consoles?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

You don't pay for online on PS4 but for the "free" games, of course.

walsufnir said:
KLAMarine said:

So can I opt out of the free games but still get online?

KLAMarine said:
walsufnir said:

Of course (if you have a PS3).

walsufnir said:
KLAMarine said:

Can I get the free games without paying for online?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
walsufnir said:

Can I get the free games without paying for online?

Sure. There are a lot of free2play games.

KLAMarine said:

PC has free online mostly because there's too much competiton on PC for that to happen. If Steam started charging for Online people would just buy games somewhere else. The money Steam would lose from sales would outweigh what they would make from subscriptions. Consoles are closed systems that don't have that problem. If you don't want to play for Online on your Xbox One, but still want to play multiplayer, what are you going to do? Dump your prefered gaming platform over $60 a year?

On top of that, I think Steam takes a larger cut from games than Sony/MS do. I could be wrong but I think it's something like 30% vs. 20%.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
KLAMarine said:

PC has free online mostly because there's too much competiton on PC for that to happen. If Steam started charging for Online people would just buy games somewhere else. The money Steam would lose from sales would outweigh what they would make from subscriptions. Consoles are closed systems that don't have that problem. If you don't want to play for Online on your Xbox One, but still want to play multiplayer, what are you going to do? Dump your prefered gaming platform over $60 a year?

On top of that, I think Steam takes a larger cut from games than Sony/MS do. I could be wrong but I think it's something like 30% vs. 20%.

So it's essentially console manufacturers charging because they can?..

KLAMarine said:
Normchacho said:

They realized they can so they did. Not that it would not be justified to make consumers pay for infrastructure costs, though.

KLAMarine said:
Normchacho said:

Partly, but it's also becuase they fund themselves differently then someone like Valve does with Steam.

Sticking with the Steam example, they basically make publishers/developers pay for online through a higher cut of the total revenue wheras Sony/MS charge the people using online multiplayer directly for it's use.

Mind you, if either Sony or Microsoft had data showing that they could make up the lost revenue through increased sales by making online free, they would. But it doesn't hurt them to charge for it, which means it wouldn't really help them to make it free.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.