By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Intrinsic said:
Fei-Hung said:

I'm unsure of the NX price due to the whole hybrid thing, but I can see a Neo launching at £399 and the Scorpio launching 9-12 months later for $599+. A minimum $200 difference will play a big role in what consumers go for. 

As for the slim, I like the design. It's simple and clean. 

I dont see the scorpio being more expensive than $499. MS just won't be that stupid. Especially if the Neo comes in at $399. If the neo is $499 then MS can rightfully match that price a year later or stupidly come in at $599. 

In this new phase sony is holding all the cards. By that time they will no doubt have an overall PS4 install base that's at least 2x more than whatever XB1 install base is. That put them in a better position to compete on price or even bundles than MS would ever be with the XB1. I can pretty much guarantee that the Neo will have its first price drop on or around the time the scorpio is releasing especially if it's releasing at the same price of the Neo. 

I was thinking $499 for Scorpio until Albert Panello went on about the Scorpio card alone costing as much as launch PS3. We don't know if he meant launch PS3 retail or manufacturer cost as the way he worded it, it could be both. If we go with the cheap option, the card alone is $499 (launch 20gb PS3). Then you add a 4K BR player, 1TB HDD, 12GB GDDR5, controller, USB ports, WiFi, Bluetooth, PU, fan, case, audio chip, packaging and logistics.

Even if we say they are getting this expensive card (he said they are going for an expensive card to be able to hit 4K 30fps native) at 3/5th the price ($200 off retail),  that's still $300.

$300 chip

$100 4K BR player (Samsung has one of the cheapest ones on the market at $320)

$100 for 12GB GDDR5 & 1TB HDD

$100 for everything else including pad, audio chip, 4k hdmi cable, power unit, fan, cooling, WiFi, Bluetooth, headset....

That's $600. Now they can sell at a loss, but i doubt MS will want to sell at a $100 loss. If they sell a million units that's a billion dollar loss. 

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

I was thinking $499 for Scorpio until Albert Panello went on about the Scorpio card alone costing as much as launch PS3. We don't know if he meant launch PS3 retail or manufacturer cost as the way he worded it, it could be both. If we go with the cheap option, the card alone is $499 (launch 20gb PS3). Then you add a 4K BR player, 1TB HDD, 12GB GDDR5, controller, USB ports, WiFi, Bluetooth, PU, fan, case, audio chip, packaging and logistics.

Even if we say they are getting this expensive card (he said they are going for an expensive card to be able to hit 4K 30fps native) at 3/5th the price ($200 off retail),  that's still $300.

$300 chip

$100 for everything else including pad, audio chip, 4k hdmi cable, power unit, fan, cooling, WiFi, Bluetooth, headset....

That's $600. Now they can sell at a loss, but i doubt MS will want to sell at a $100 loss. If they sell a million units that's a billion dollar loss. 

Some errors here....

Firstly no way a BR drive costs $100. Not even going to cost half that much. The reason BR players are expensive is because you aren't just paying for the drive. You are also paying for the processor and other components that go into them to make the damn thing work. A lot of those things cross over when looking at consoles. Eg; no need to get in a processor for BR playing cause u already have a processor for your games. No need to develop a dedicated OS for the player cause the system already has an OS....etc

There is also no way they are paying $300 for a chip. Especially one based on something that has a retail price of $299/$350 cause again a lot of the things that goes into that chip cross over for consoles and that's even before looking at the prices console platform holders get their stuff at. 

And lastly, if they sell 1M consoles at a $100 loss, that's not $1B in losses. It's $100M in losses. That's nothing to them when u consider they make probably more than $500M from XBL subscriptions alone every year. 

Anyways, I just don't see them coming in at more than $499. They are coming a year late, into a war they are already losing, they won't do that. 

Intrinsic said:
Fei-Hung said:

$300 chip

Some errors here....

Firstly no way a BR drive costs $100. Not even going to cost half that much. The reason BR players are expensive is because you aren't just paying for the drive. You are also paying for the processor and other components that go into them to make the damn thing work. A lot of those things cross over when looking at consoles. Eg; no need to get in a processor for BR playing cause u already have a processor for your games. No need to develop a dedicated OS for the player cause the system already has an OS....etc

There is also no way they are paying $300 for a chip. Especially one based on something that has a retail price of $299/$350 cause again a lot of the things that goes into that chip cross over for consoles and that's even before looking at the prices console platform holders get their stuff at. 

And lastly, if they sell 1M consoles at a $100 loss, that's not $1B in losses. It's $100M in losses. That's nothing to them when u consider they make probably more than $500M from XBL subscriptions alone every year. 

Anyways, I just don't see them coming in at more than $499. They are coming a year late, into a war they are already losing, they won't do that. 

Dammit I meant 10 million consoles! Lol

The point i was making is, I was thinking what you are thinking until i read what Panello said. He isn't referring to what everyone was taking about, a cheap $199 chip. He has flat out said this will be an expensive machine with the chip alone costing MS serious money. 

Maybe a UHD BR drive doesn't cost $100, maybe it's less since there is no case etc, but I don't think they will be buying UHD BR drives for below $50. Even launch BR drives weren't that cheap. 

I don't think MS will want to launch this at a loss or a heavy loss. Based on what Panello has said i can't see this coming in below $599. The cost is what will drive most people to the PS4S and Neo. MS will find it though to compete with both its models of Sony go for a big price drop on the OG and release their slim at $300 and Neo at $399. 

jason1637 said:
So the PS4S and the PSVR this year. Do you guys think Sony will release a PS4K this year or next year?

I'd say most likely.  Sony said that the Neo would be announced shortly before it launches.  And I HIGHLY doubt they are holding a press conference to merely announce a Slim model.

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

This is gonna make Sony have the cheaper & more powerfull, console again.

Just like at launch, when Xbox One was 499$ with kinect, (100$ more than PS4) even though it was 40% weaker.

Your gonna see PS4 slim for 249$ vs XB1 slim for 299$.

Sony will again have price advantage + power advantage.

Holidays are gonna be brutal.

You know MS will cut XB1 S to $250 if PS4 Slim is $250, maybe not immediately but before November for sure. Also, XB1 S still has the advantage of a 4K blu-ray player and HDR, I'm hearing PS4 Slim has neither. MS is also bundling games with XB1 S already, while Sony doesn't seem to be bundling games with PS4 Slim at release. 

And?  That's not going to help MS.  July NPD already proved that MS needs to be $100 cheaper to compete with the PS4, and that's in just the US.  Most every where else, the war is done.  Having them the exact same price just puts MS back in the same exact spot they were in before.

Ooooh BOY! I'm excited. Things are heating up again. I wonder what this means for the current base PS4 though, will it be dropped lower? And will the slim be 4k content enabled?

Around the Network

At least the new design confirms external hard drive support right?

_Jameson said:

There's a HDD hatch on the back corner of the console. 

Do we know if that square was optical out yet?

FIT_Gamer said:
_Jameson said:

There's a HDD hatch on the back corner of the console. 

Damn, thanks for the clarification.

Meh, you're better off spending the extra $100 on a Neo.