By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the 3DS outsell the NES?

Will lifetime 3DS sales be greater than the NES at 61.91 million?

Yes 116 92.80%

No 4 3.20%

Too close to call 5 4.00%

Total:125
thismeintiel said:
I really don't see the point of this thread? I mean I could see if it was made 10M-15M units ago, but ~2M more to go, with its last holiday without a successor still to come. This is a given. Now, ask if it's going to beat any of the other Nintendo handhelds...

This.

Around the Network

Yes, it should have just about shipped more than the NES by the end of March 2017, when 3DS should be at 62 million. I expect life-time shipments to be in the 67-70 million range.

Assuming the NX is effectively a successor/replacement to the 3ds I expect the 3ds to reach around 64-66 million.

I think it's almost a certainty it will break the 62 million mark.

I would be surprised if it didn't

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

thismeintiel said:
I really don't see the point of this thread? I mean I could see if it was made 10M-15M units ago, but ~2M more to go, with its last holiday without a successor still to come. This is a given. Now, ask if it's going to beat any of the other Nintendo handhelds...

Crazy things happen. Like theres games out there that we think it will do bad, but it turned it around. And vice versa. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

I'm surprised many people expect under 65 million lifetime for 3DS.
3DS is at 59.79 million by end of June 2016, before the Pokémon GO phenomenal, after July NPD and the many European region boost we saw (UK, Italy for hardware, as well Germany and France for software), i see 3DS selling AT LEAST as much as last year from now (but will most likely be even up).

3DS sold 4.77 million last year, i think it will probabily be at least 5 million this year, i personally say even 5.5-6.5 million, and of course, it won't stop selling just after NX, Nintendo will most likely continue to sells 3DS even in 2018-2019.

70 million seem the most likely scenario.

I have no doubts about it.

Ryng_Tolu said:
thismeintiel said:

This.

True, but a comparison is a comparison nonetheless. VGChartz still posts vs. articles that pit Wii U vs. PS4 and Xbone and we all know how that's going, or PS4 vs. Vita. It's just for comparison's sake.

thismeintiel said:

to be fair, the ds and gameboy were dirt cheap. I myself owned about 6 game boys and 3 ds'. Cheapest I've found was 40 bucks for a refurbished ds during 2007.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.