By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the 3DS outsell the NES?

Will lifetime 3DS sales be greater than the NES at 61.91 million?

Yes 116 92.80%

No 4 3.20%

Too close to call 5 4.00%

Total:125

According the VG Chartz the NES had sold 61.91 million consoles in its lifetime. This makes it the 10th best selling console of all time. 

VG Chartz is currently a bit vague on total 3DS sales, putting it at 59.8 million in its alltime chart and tracking it at 58.7 million on its global totals

graphic but it's safe to assume somewhere around the 59 million mark is accurate.

So my question is will the 3DS pass the NES.? With the NX looming and the 3DS coming to the end of its reign will it sell another 3 million units? Will it be able to enter into the top 10?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.... 

Around the Network

Yes. Nintendo will really push hard with killer deals during holidays to make it get several more million before the NX comes along.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

It will be a close one .

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Hard for it not to. Nintendo will be shipping around 5 million for FY17, and IIRC the 3DS was at 57 million by April of this year, putting it at ~62 million units by April 2017 (implying Nintendo's estimates are 100% correct)... and even if it doesnt outsell it by the end of FY17, I expect Nintendo to ship like 5 million more by the time it stops selling (around 2019-20 imo).

Edit: If what I said is too confusing (re-reading it feels that way ), I expect the 3DS to sell at least 67 million units lifetime.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

It has officially shipped 59.79 million as of June 30, 2016 so it would be pretty much impossible to not pass NES.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Of course it will :)
3DS will sel between 65M and 70M LTD :)

Pokemon Sun & Moon special edition will definitley put it over the top.

Yes, thanks to pokemon Sun/Moon and the resurgence of the pokemon craze.

Easily.

Going by the amount shipped in June it may pass the NES before the end of the year, likely around Black Friday.