By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would Rare have been better off with Nintendo?

Would Rare have been better off with Nintendo?

Yes 356 87.68%

No 50 12.32%

Total:406

Duh. It's no coincidence that the only worthwhile Rare games since they left Nintendo are the Viva Pinata ones, a series that felt like it was a Nintendo franchise. There was no real audience for them on Xbox and trying to mold to fit the Xbox demo proved disastrous for them. Stuff like a Banjo Kazooie game that was desparate to be some kind of "cool" Ratchet and Clank knockoff instead of an actual Banjo game. 

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:

Duh. It's no coincidence that the only worthwhile Rare games since they left Nintendo are the Viva Pinata ones, a series that felt like it was a Nintendo franchise. There was no real audience for them on Xbox and trying to mold to fit the Xbox demo proved disastrous for them. Stuff like a Banjo Kazooie game that was desparate to be some kind of "cool" Ratchet and Clank knockoff instead of an actual Banjo game. 

Ratchet and Clank was a vehicle builder/platformer? And what are the games Rare made for Xbox demo especifically that proved disastrous?

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Exactly Nintendo doesn't put up with shit effort. Yes, occassionally a sloppy game will slip through, but the cheerful/cuddly persona of Miyamoto is a myth in development terms, even around Nintendo other devs talk about him more like Darth Vader patrolling the Death Star. If your work isn't up to par, you're going to get it. 

Retro learned this the hard way in their infancy when Nintendo canned NFL Football, a racing game, and Raven Blade and forced them to work on Metroid and then put their feet to the fire to make sure the game was really good. 

Yeah, I remember reading quite a few horror stories of developers whose had their work assessed by Miyamoto and got very critical and almost entirely negative feedback. As for Nintendo themselves, it's widely believed they went so far as to kick not one but two of Retro's presidents to the curb from 2002-2003, replacing the second with one of their own, NoA veteran Michael Kelbaugh, who remains in charge to this day I believe.

That said, I still feel that even Nintendo supervision may not have been able to salvage Rare's decay; after all, they let Starfox Adventure though and that was a pretty weak game.

fatslob-:O said:

The team behind Golden Eye 007 and Perfect Dark, the two most noteworthy games that Rare has made for the N64 basically left to form Free Radical Design in 1999

How is that possible when Free Radical was formed a year before Perfect Dark even came out?

KungKras said:

YES!!! PLEASE NINTENDO!

They definitely should, therefore they won't. :(

Why would they buy Playtonic? They haven't proved themselves yet. I don't want a repeat of Mighty No. 9, after all.

bluetoad said:
im glad nintendo sold rare, at the time nintendo was in major decline and probably would not have lasted another gen. The sale of rare funded the DS and Wii development

But they didn't sell Rare.

XanderXT said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, I remember reading quite a few horror stories of developers whose had their work assessed by Miyamoto and got very critical and almost entirely negative feedback. As for Nintendo themselves, it's widely believed they went so far as to kick not one but two of Retro's presidents to the curb from 2002-2003, replacing the second with one of their own, NoA veteran Michael Kelbaugh, who remains in charge to this day I believe.

That said, I still feel that even Nintendo supervision may not have been able to salvage Rare's decay; after all, they let Starfox Adventure though and that was a pretty weak game.

How is that possible when Free Radical was formed a year before Perfect Dark even came out?

They definitely should, therefore they won't. :(

Why would they buy Playtonic? They haven't proved themselves yet. I don't want a repeat of Mighty No. 9, after all.

There were many indications that Mighty No.9 would be a trainwreck from way before it came out. Yooka Laylee doesn't seem to be showing any signs so far of a similar disaster.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:

Project Dream turned into Banjo Kazooie, which originally was a blueprint for Sea of Thieves. Where did you get that idea thet Project Dream was Crash's clone? Nintendo had the best 3D platformer at the time, why would Rare copy Crash?

Rare had a tremendous record for being efficient and deliver quality titles from Snes era till N64. More so than Nintendo itself. 

Read things in context Project Dream was this suposedly ambitious rpg but from the words of people from the Conker team when they were doing their developer commentary of Conker BFD it wasn't very good and at most was a Crash Bandicoot clone and not a good one. Secondly Dream didn't become Banjo it got shelved and some of the ideas went on to be used in Banjo Tooie.

Rare were far from efficient in the late 90s.

curl-6 said:

I actually think their decline began before they left Nintendo; their final game for Ninty, Starfox Adventures, was pretty bad and lacked the quality of their prior works, impressive graphics aside.

Frankly, I don't think Rare has made a single good game since the N64.

I'm not sure what game you played, yes the game may have been a let down as far as Starfox story franchise goes. But the game definitely wasn't a bad game! 

Ck1x said:
curl-6 said:

I actually think their decline began before they left Nintendo; their final game for Ninty, Starfox Adventures, was pretty bad and lacked the quality of their prior works, impressive graphics aside.

Frankly, I don't think Rare has made a single good game since the N64.

I'm not sure what game you played, yes the game may have been a let down as far as Starfox story franchise goes. But the game definitely wasn't a bad game! 

Thank you! I can't believe people woudl say that Star Fox Adventures was a bad game. It wasn't no where near a bad game. Sure it wasn't of the normal Star Fox vein, but it was still a great game.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Paying something like 250million $ in Nintendos situation back then, wasn´t really viable, it was shortly after N64 and early GC days. Considering that you never know what happens with the talent after a buyout it was a very big risk, because you might end up with a lot of developers without the leaders to direct them accordingly. If you also add the human component, I mean despite all this beeing a business I wouldn´t be surprised if they felt betrayed by the Stampers brothers after alle these years, so I´m not too suprised they didn´t want to make the Stampers Brothers even richer by buying them out.

Rares departure surely caused a hole in Nintendos lineup especially during GC days, because in colaboration with Nintendo they really created popular games together. But looking at Rare today, it´s clear who got the even worse deal, none of the classic Rare IPs became blockbusters on the Xbox systems and if it weren´t for the very successful WiiSports rip-offs, Rare might even have been Lionbeheaded as well by now.

From a gamers perspective I really think that an ongoing Nintendo+Rare relationship would have lead to more prolific games. Perfect Dark, Kameo would have been launched during the 128bit generation just an example of how much time they wasted due to all the structural changes they had to go through due to what happened.

curl-6 said:
XanderXT said:

There were many indications that Mighty No.9 would be a trainwreck from way before it came out. Yooka Laylee doesn't seem to be showing any signs so far of a similar disaster.

I don't know. I've always been wary of the whole kickstarted spirital successor game. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Playtonic would prefer to be independent.