By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami announce Metal Gear Survive for PS4/XB1/PC; four-player co-op

Kerotan said:

He said he doesn't agree with the out come of the game although some of it could fit his timeline. 

It's not proper canon and not made by him.  As I said it fits in with acid and this new game.  Spin offs of the main series.  

He didn't agree with the approach to videogame design when making the game, but he had complete control over the story and cutscenes, as part of his collaborative effort with Platinum Games to finally make the game, and he was completely satisfied with it. The game wouldn't have been made had Kojima nor Platinum Games been involved, as it was noted by Kojima himself and Platinum Games' president (back then at least), Minami.

Kojima loved it, Kojima wanted to make a sequel, Konami had MGR fit into the timeline of their games and Revengeance Raiden makes an appearance in both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, both Kojima-directed games. There's simply no reason to consider Rising non-canon, especially how it doesn't break or retcons anything from the games before it, aside from Raiden's personal philosophy at the end of MGS4.

Around the Network

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

ktay95 said:
Ruler said:
funny how some month ago everyone thought Metal Gear Solid and Konami were done with Videogames, now they make a new game and people still hate them.

It looks pretty interesting better than Left4Dead and other generic zombie games.

We wanted them to be done with Metal Gear. This just looks like a cash grab.

Popular IP, check

Reused assets, check

New Director, check

And I'm sure with what happened between Kojima and Konami this doesn't exactly have his blessing. 

I'm surprised as many fans are willing to give this a chance as their is.

And, so is every game? Left4Dead was just a Half Life mod or something. It still has better graphics than Overwatch and it will be cheaper too.

This doesnt look like it has its blessing? Zombie Apokalyptic game in anotehr universe: that sounds exactley where MGS would keep heading under Kojima lol

Metal Gear Zombies?
lol

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

... And so the franchise finally dies.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Wright said:
Kerotan said:

He said he doesn't agree with the out come of the game although some of it could fit his timeline. 

It's not proper canon and not made by him.  As I said it fits in with acid and this new game.  Spin offs of the main series.  

He didn't agree with the approach to videogame design when making the game, but he had complete control over the story and cutscenes, as part of his collaborative effort with Platinum Games to finally make the game, and he was completely satisfied with it. The game wouldn't have been made had Kojima nor Platinum Games been involved, as it was noted by Kojima himself and Platinum Games' president (back then at least), Minami.

Kojima loved it, Kojima wanted to make a sequel, Konami had MGR fit into the timeline of their games and Revengeance Raiden makes an appearance in both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, both Kojima-directed games. There's simply no reason to consider Rising non-canon, especially how it doesn't break or retcons anything from the games before it, aside from Raiden's personal philosophy at the end of MGS4.

It's a platinum game and not a Kojima Productions game.  

It's not your typical metal gear game.  It's a hack and slash title with no snake.

It's a spin off fitted into the series as best as possible.  

Wow, those characters look generic as hell. Everything looks generic as hell.

Kerotan said:
Wright said:

It's not your typical metal gear game.  It's a hack and slash title with no snake.

Wright isn't arguing that it's a Kojima or a typical Metal Gear game. He is merely stating that it is canon. which I agree.

VGPolyglot said:
Kerotan said:

Wright isn't arguing that it's a Kojima or a typical Metal Gear game. He is merely stating that it is canon. which I agree.

I don't agree it's proper canon because there are little things that don't go with the series.  

Whether it is or isn't though it doesn't detract from my main point which is this new metal gear goes under the spin off umbrella along with acid and rising. Only difference is this won't be canon. But they're still just fun spin offs. 

Kerotan said:

Kerotan said:

I don't agree it's proper canon because there are little things that don't go with the series.  

Whether it is or isn't though it doesn't detract from my main point which is this new metal gear goes under the spin off umbrella along with acid and rising. Only difference is this won't be canon. But they're still just fun spin offs. 

It's both a Kojima Productions and a Platinum Games's game. The later is the one that designed the gameplay, whereas the former had the control over story and cutscenes.

It's not a typical Metal Gear, indeed. Snake not being in it isn't a problem, as there are other Metal Gear games were Snake isn't featured. But the problem is that you think spin-offs aren't canon, when in reality some of them are. Here's the Inside Gaming interview with Yuji Korekado (who was the lead programmer at Kojima Productions' Programming Unit) and who had a degree of interaction during the development on Revengeance:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xo1mz

The very first question asked was, "is this game canon?", and his response was the following thing:

"Metal Gear Rising isn't Metal Gear Solid, it's a different type of game, but it does take place in the same universe and within the same storyline, so yes, it's connected, it's canon and it takes place after Metal Gear Solid 4; explains what happens to the world after the events that happened with Snake during Metal Gear Solid 4."

And I don't get the point of "little things that don't go with the series". Which ones? The universe, technology and everything does fit with the template that MGS4 laid on (much much better than that futuristic post-Cold War that Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain tried to make), there are multiples references and easter eggs to the other games, there's even stealth sections for a hack n' slash game (which some involve the cardboard box!). Really, this shouldn't even be a point of discussion.

I don't accept the notion of "proper canon". It is canon in the fully meaning of the word, just like Portable Ops is canon, despite Kojima's incredible efforts to try and erase the later game from existence.