By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who will provide the NX GPU?

Who is making the NX GPU

nVida 187 41.19%

AMD 210 46.26%

Silicon Graphics Inc 16 3.52%

Sony (the power of the Cell!!!) 41 9.03%

Total:454
Soundwave said:

While Nvidia remained hush on anything NX related, one interesting tiny blip did come out of the Hot Chips conference aside from just a general idea of what the Tegra Parker (X2) can do. This slide mentions "sufficent thread count for automotive and gaming applications" for the upcoming Tegra X2/Parker ... now we know they're not making more Shield consoles, so likely this is referring to the Nintendo NX. 

Nvidia's chips are not only used in Nvidia's own devices. The X1 is used in the Google Pixel C as well as the shield console... the K1 is used in the HTC Nexus 9, Acer Chromebooks, Xiaomi MiPad, Lenovo products... the X2 will be used in lots of devices, you're making quite the stretch to say that this refers to the NX.

Around the Network

It's looking more likely that DMP is providing the NX GPU. It looks like Eurogamer got hosed again.

Darc Requiem said:
It's looking more likely that DMP is providing the NX GPU. It looks like Eurogamer got hosed again.

That would be LOL worthy if true but then again it's not so farfetched since they do have some relatively new designs and on the brighter side it could allow backwards compatibility with the 3DS providing if their M3000 series were binary compatible with the PICA200 ...

It would be hilarious if true. Probably another BS rumor though. All these damned rumors are driving me insane. I was hoping the Hot Chips announcement from Nvidia would provide some clarity but it hasn't.

Darc Requiem said:

Based on what? It's not on Nvidia to announce Nintendo's product. Quite frankly this whole notion of parts suppliers disclosing information on a vendor's product before the vendor even gets to announce it is grossly unprofessional IMO. 

Nintendo clearly has tight NDAs on the NX, not only because Sony/MS but I think they are very afraid that a tablet maker will basically steal a lot of their ideas before they release the stystem. 

I've never seen Nintendo be this secretive over any product before. 

Nvidia specifically saying "game performance" in addition to automotive tasks for the Pascal Tegra is something though. We know Parker is for smart cars, but why is game performance listed as a key feature since they've already said they're out of the Shield console biz. If you were expecting more than that ... really that was never happening. Nintendo has very tight NDAs on this thing. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Based on what? It's not on Nvidia to announce Nintendo's product. Quite frankly this whole notion of parts suppliers disclosing information on a vendor's product before the vendor even gets to announce it is grossly unprofessional IMO. 

Nintendo clearly has tight NDAs on the NX, not only because Sony/MS but I think they are very afraid that a tablet maker will basically steal a lot of their ideas before they release the stystem. 

Nvidia specifically saying "game performance" in addition to automotive tasks for the Pascal Tegra is something though. We know Parker is for smart cars, but why is game performance listed as a key feature since they've already said they're out of the Shield console biz. If you were expecting more than that ... really that was never happening. Nintendo has very tight NDAs on this thing. 

Based on the fact that they're delivering an SoC in the first half of 2017 ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

So basically based on nothing. Quite possible that DMP spurned by Nintendo for Nvidia also simply said "fine, we'll just make our own device", the way that's on their website implies it's some shitty low budget tablet. 

Getting back to Tegra/Parker, Nvidia apparently said today the Parker/Tegra can get up to 1.5 TFLOPS, but they are obviously talking about FP16 mode there, so that would mean 750 GFLOPS in more standarad FP32. 

750 GFLOPS .... welp. If they can deliver that in "docked/home power" mode I'll take it I guess. Shitty home performance given all things but at least it's a reasonable upgrade on the Wii U and not the GameCube to Wii all over again. I guess it could be the whole "Nvidia flops are 30% better than AMD flops" thing, lol, in which case, the reports of it being a little less than an XB1 would kinda line up exactly. 

Based on the slides the Tegra X2 is only a 625 GFLOP GPU. If this ship is in the NX. It's most likely going to have a lower clock speed to reduce the power draw. It doesn't seem to be much of an improved over the Tegra X1.

As for DMP it's not just the prior relationship, the timing of it's release is also a factor. It's not like they chip was announced yesterday. It was announced back in May. The performance in comparison to Tegra X1 and X2 is comparable and it would allow for 3DS backward compatibility. In addition, the M3000 supports UE4 and Vulcan amongst other things.

fatslob-:O said:

"The first half of 2017" could be anything between January and June 2017. For a proper March launch of the NX console, they have to start mass production a few months earlier. Don't you think that the M3000 is launched a bit late to be a valid candidate for the NX?

And how is the track record of DMP? Do they always deliver punctually as scheduled?

Darc Requiem said:
Based on the slides the Tegra X2 is only a 625 GFLOP GPU. If this ship is in the NX. It's most likely going to have a lower clock speed to reduce the power draw. It doesn't seem to be much of an improved over the Tegra X1.

As for DMP it's not just the prior relationship, the timing of it's release is also a factor. It's not like they chip was announced yesterday. It was announced back in May. The performance in comparison to Tegra X1 and X2 is comparable and it would allow for 3DS backward compatibility. In addition, the M3000 supports UE4 and Vulcan amongst other things.

Nvidia says 750 GFLOP (1.5 GFLOP FP16) but the the slide says 625 GFLOP ... wonder what the discrepancy is (though it's not huge).