By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I avoid buying games on release, here are my reasons

That's cool and all, but I'm still gonna buy some games pre-release.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

Lower price, getting complete or GOTY editions with all the DLCs and the trouble of day one patches and broken games are also my main reasons for not buying games at launch.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Holding off only applies to the patient, denying ones immediate pleasure for long term rewards it a sign of a successful person

I don't buy games day 1, but I don't really have a reason. I guess money is a factor, but sometimes I just feel like waiting a bit.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I thought one of the reasons would be "I don't buy games on Day One because they're rarely finished developing on Day One."

Around the Network

Within 6 months most games are usually half price or even cheaper second hand.

invetedlotus123 said:

Hi! Since PS2 era I avoid buying games at release, and here are my reasons and I want to share them with you to see if I can find people that agree or diasgree with me.

1) Wait to get discounts. Yes, the main reason. If I wait I can get the games far cheaper than in release day, and I`m not talking about used copies, but brand new copies. Not necessarily I wait for a Greatest Hit Re-Issue, but one month or two makes wonders to games prices, mainly here in Brazil.

2) If it`s a game I know is going to be full of DLC I prefer to wait a release where all the content is included in a single purchase. I didn`t get GT5 right away for example, even it being one of the games that made me choose a PS3 at the time, but I waited the Edition that contained all the content on a single purchase, and it was worth it. I did the same with Street Fighter IV and RE 5. This gen I haven`t bought a PS4 yet, but when I do i`m going to have the benefit to be able to buy those "fuller" versions of the earlier games in the gen.

3) Quality Control. It kinda goes back to number one, but after some time I can see the feedback the early buyers give to said game( more reliable than professional reviews), and even if the game isn`t as good as I thought, at least I didn`t paid the full price for it. And after FF XIII being so disappointing for me I don`t even trust franchises names to make buy a game, i`m really hyped for FF XV, but I won`t be dropping coins on it until I know it`s good, and if it`s bad I`ll only buy it when it`s heavily discounted.

For the most part can't fault the logic. I just hope you make exceptions for the games you really really want (Especially if they're more niche/risky). Unfortunately, a games success is generally determined by it's publisher in the opening month. So if it's something you truly love, you need to show them that there is a market there for the game.

However, the stuff you're not convinced on, definitely hold off til a price you're prepared to risk. Buying a new copy, you are still supporting the title and adding to the total units sold. Sadly, a used sale in the current market is practically a hidden sale as far as unique users.

Like you say, a GOTY edition of a game with all the DLC included is always a much nicer well rounded package. If publishers want to stop people doing this, they have to stop putting the DLC on at a later date to encourage borderline sales from holding off the original print.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

Like you say, a GOTY edition of a game with all the DLC included is always a much nicer well rounded package. If publishers want to stop people doing this, they have to stop putting the DLC on at a later date to encourage borderline sales from holding off the original print.

I've always thought that the Collector's Edition of any game should grant you all the DLC that the tittle will have. And yet, what we are given is Collector's Editions that don't even include the game.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I rarely buy day-one or preorder, because
1) waiting is no problem for me;
2) backlog is too big anyway.
But once or two a year I preorder games, because
1) I love so much the franchise;
2) I believe I will love this game;
3) I respect the developers.
This year it was Uncharted 4. In 2015: The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.

I agree with you but it only applies to certain titles. For example I'll 100% pre order battlefield 1 and gran turismo sport this year. But I'll wait for sales for the witcher 3, fallout 4, mafia 3, no man's sky and many more.

My reasons for waiting. Some games like no man's sky I don't want to pay over $40. I also want to wait until it's been properly patched.

Then there's the witcher 3. Apparently a fantastic game. But I've never played the series so don't know what I'm missing. Makes the wait easy. I'll get the complete edition for $30 on a sale next summer.

Why do I wait? Well I've got a ps3 backlog to get through thanks to ps plus and awesome sales. Why buy all these new games at $60 when I can play my current backlog now and get the others cheap later.

I still buy my favourite games at launch.