By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Starbound Thread: 1.2 Vault Update

I ended up using my ship for the time being the same way you have lol.

I'll have to cap me some screens but recently I've been getting back into WoW with some friends and I've had some catching up to do.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
FunFan said:

Are we all shy that we dont have a super amazing thing to show? Not me. But instead of something amazing I'll show everyone a couple of things I found useful in the early game.

Here is my ship:

Look at that efficient use of space . Nothing big but I think it pays up big time to have all the most advanced crafting stuff in there. Not just because is right there for when you visit new planets but everything inside the ship stays even if you change servers or play in the single player. This way if the servers closes, resets or have troll players you still got the important stuff on the ship and you keep your inventory unfilled.

About cotton:

It is weird in that cotton is easy to find but tricky to get in enough quantities. This is definitelly something you want to farm (as in cultivate). And you should do it from the very begining as you'll want to make that teddy bear as soon as posible, trust me.

I'm still posting! I'm just afraid I'm posting too many screen shots now, and I still want to keep some parts as secrets for possible new players.

It is definitely a good idea to make your central base on the ship as opposed to a planet. I had it where I played on one file with a friend, and when he added mods to his game, he had to delete his file, and I lost all my gear in the home we made. I would have been better off having everything on my ship. It's okay though, I can just collect everything again, but still a nice tip for players. I'm gonna do it once I can make lunar items.

Also, totally agree on getting cotton and seeds ASAP. It's a really important early game item.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

zero129 said:
After looking at the screenshots you guys have posted this game looks really interesting. I thought i wouldnt be too gone on the 2D side view at first, however now i can see thats what adds to this games style in the first place.

I've heard some people raise issues with the game being 2D, and I can see that coming from a big game like No Man's Sky, but I don't think it takes away anything from it. There are still secrets and treasures to find, and it makes it easier to fully explore the surface of planets and take everything you can find. Then there's also digging down below to find dungeons. mini biomes and more treasures. I suppose it is pretty similar to Terraria, though I haven't played much of that game. If you liked that game, chances are you'd like Starbound too.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

I've heard some people raise issues with the game being 2D, and I can see that coming from a big game like No Man's Sky, but I don't think it takes away anything from it. There are still secrets and treasures to find, and it makes it easier to fully explore the surface of planets and take everything you can find. Then there's also digging down below to find dungeons. mini biomes and more treasures. I suppose it is pretty similar to Terraria, though I haven't played much of that game. If you liked that game, chances are you'd like Starbound too.

I've thought the same myself. I loved Minecraft the first time I laid eyes on it years ago. I thought it was something neat and interesting and not once did I go "man the graphics suck why isn't this like AAA games visual wise?". I like that Starbound is a 2D pixel version of Minecraft/Terraria, it being in 3D would have made it look more like Minecraft and we've all seen that song and dance played by a good numebr that tried to emulate MC's success and looks.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Cloudman said:

I've thought the same myself. I loved Minecraft the first time I laid eyes on it years ago. I thought it was something neat and interesting and not once did I go "man the graphics suck why isn't this like AAA games visual wise?". I like that Starbound is a 2D pixel version of Minecraft/Terraria, it being in 3D would have made it look more like Minecraft and we've all seen that song and dance played by a good numebr that tried to emulate MC's success and looks.

Actually, I think a 3D space Minecraft could work pretty well if done right. If it had mechanics like Starbound, I think it could be pretty cool. Though SB as it is is pretty great too.

Dance my pretties!

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

After like a year and half of not opening Steam i go there to see what is going on and downloaded last patch for starbound and opened it. Of course my awesome character was wiped out :S miss you Blue Avian bro !!!

Any tips for starting this again, i dont play this since the beta more than 2 years ago , i bet they changed a lot.

Yeah, I've lost a few of my characters and cool gear during the times it had major updates. Each time I find more cool new things though. Guess I'm getting pretty lucky!

Anyways, one major tip I can think of is look for cotton and cotton seeds. Take and plant as many as you can. Cotton is very essential in the beginning, being part of making your armor. Also, get as much plant fiber as possible, as it's very important. I was often needing it during my 1st playthru on 1.0, so I had to make many cave runs to get some. You'll be needing it for string and wool as well.

Also, look for and take as many fridges as you can find, even if you have to steal them from villages (just don't steal too much infront of villagers). They will keep your meat, veggies and food from spoiling. As far as I know, they don't spoil as long as they are in a fridge. Later on, getting a shipping thing from the terramart will prove helpful in selling excess food you grow. Buying a cow and chicken will be good in getting milk and eggs if you want to make certain foods from a fire or kitchen table.

And that's all I can think of at the top of my head. Hope these help.

Dance my pretties!

Cloudman said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

After like a year and half of not opening Steam i go there to see what is going on and downloaded last patch for starbound and opened it. Of course my awesome character was wiped out :S miss you Blue Avian bro !!!

Any tips for starting this again, i dont play this since the beta more than 2 years ago , i bet they changed a lot.

Yeah, I've lost a few of my characters and cool gear during the times it had major updates. Each time I find more cool new things though. Guess I'm getting pretty lucky!

Anyways, one major tip I can think of is look for cotton and cotton seeds. Take and plant as many as you can. Cotton is very essential in the beginning, being part of making your armor. Also, get as much plant fiber as possible, as it's very important. I was often needing it during my 1st playthru on 1.0, so I had to make many cave runs to get some. You'll be needing it for string and wool as well.

Also, look for and take as many fridges as you can find, even if you have to steal them from villages (just don't steal too much infront of villagers). They will keep your meat, veggies and food from spoiling. As far as I know, they don't spoil as long as they are in a fridge. Later on, getting a shipping thing from the terramart will prove helpful in selling excess food you grow. Buying a cow and chicken will be good in getting milk and eggs if you want to make certain foods from a fire or kitchen table.

And that's all I can think of at the top of my head. Hope these help.

Also steal any campfire to cook stuff and make a bow or hunting spears as soon as you can, they have a higher chance of getting you meat, 100% on birds. Hunger will set in quickly, is the biggest early game burden. (or play on casual).

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:

Also steal any campfire to cook stuff and make a bow or hunting spears as soon as you can, they have a higher chance of getting you meat, 100% on birds. Hunger will set in quickly, is the biggest early game burden. (or play on casual).

I'd also love to add that at the outpost you can make your own neon signs however you want and print as many for free, just something for those who want a free light source that is brighter than the torches you craft and they cost no money or mats to make. 

Chazore said:

I'd also love to add that at the outpost you can make your own neon signs however you want and print as many for free, just something for those who want a free light source that is brighter than the torches you craft and they cost no money or mats to make. 

Hey! The outpost is a spoiler kidding. The neon trick is kind of like an exploit, tho. How are we able to get away with that?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:

Hey! The outpost is a spoiler kidding. The neon trick is kind of like an exploit, tho. How are we able to get away with that?

Because it's using the 3D printer to print those signs =P. Could you imagine if they cost pizels, it would cost a fortune just to light up your base or cave with them lol.

I'm wondering what this update they have planned in the coming weeks/month or two, they recently gave us this:

Also totally swiping that house design for my own tundra home