By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: No Man's Sky framerate and performance test (PS4)

xl-klaudkil said:
curl-6 said:

A solid 30fps when exploring on foot is good, but holy guacamole, that 14fps when flying over the surface of a planet is nasty.

Pc/neo is definitely the place to play this game(expect neo mode patch)

Is using the CPU, nothing is going to change with the neo.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
onionberry said:

so solid 30 fps is impressive now... wow. not hating, just saying. ¯_(シ)_/¯

the game looks like a fun ride of exploration.

Funny how you think zelda botw is impressive when it runs at 30 fps. 

I don't know what your point is but well, visually even breath of the wild looks better, also gameplay wise and everything else. This game is running at 14 fps sometimes, that's crazy when uncharted 4 looks way better and the framerate is solid. Also, the pop in and field of view is terrible.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

A solid 30fps when exploring on foot is good, but holy guacamole, that 14fps when flying over the surface of a planet is nasty.

To be fair, it is not "when flying over a planet" it is "when flying max speed down to a new planet and boosting as fast as possible without slowing down over the surface."  That's a specific, intentional circumstance you aren't going to have happen accidentally very much.  As he pointed out, as soon as you slow down and the engine generation can catch its breath, the game runs as before. 

It's still a scenario I can see happening quite a bit when one is trying to scout out a planet's surface or get to a certain location on the surface. And 14fps is a pretty rough ride for a high profile game releasing on current gen hardware.

Pinkie_pie said:
onionberry said:

so solid 30 fps is impressive now... wow. not hating, just saying. ¯_(シ)_/¯

the game looks like a fun ride of exploration.

Its best to just ignore post like that man. Shes fishing.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
Pinkie_pie said:

I don't do that, actually. watch the video, the pop in is bad, the fov is bad, the framerate at 14 fps is bad. Obviousy not the ps4. it's the engine.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

To be fair, it is not "when flying over a planet" it is "when flying max speed down to a new planet and boosting as fast as possible without slowing down over the surface."  That's a specific, intentional circumstance you aren't going to have happen accidentally very much.  As he pointed out, as soon as you slow down and the engine generation can catch its breath, the game runs as before. 

It's still a scenario I can see happening quite a bit when one is trying to scout out a planet's surface or get to a certain location on the surface. And 14fps is a pretty rough ride for a high profile game releasing on current gen hardware.

I disagree with the first half of that, you aren't "scouting" anything moving at max speed so there really is no use for that scenario.  That's why DF refers to it as a very rare occurrence and pretty minor, and I think I will rather defer to them.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

I disagree with the first half of that, you aren't "scouting" anything moving at max speed so there really is no use for that scenario.  That's why DF refers to it as a very rare occurrence and pretty minor, and I think I will rather defer to them.

The speed shown in the DF video doesn't look nearly fast enough to rule out scouting or exploration by air.

14 fps, yikes. Glad I am waiting on the PC version, seems like the definitive way to experience the game.

That pop-in is still pretty jarring too, lol.

onionberry said:
alternine said:

I don't do that, actually. watch the video, the pop in is bad, the fov is bad, the framerate at 14 fps is bad. Obviousy not the ps4. it's the engine.

C'mon Berry, you're so much better than this. Neither BotW or Uncharted procedurally generate planets, animals, plants etc like this all based on a complex formula. Neither game has whole planets, solar systems and galaxies to explore without loading times in between. Neither game has you travelling that fast making it work harder to bring in assets for a whole planet, including anything you may have built or destroyed in there.

It's like complaining about games such as a 2D runner game being 1080p 60fps, but not something like uncharted 4. It's not a like to like comparison by any stretch of the imagination. Also, whether it looks as good or better or worse than BotW is totally subjective. 

Fei-Hung said:
onionberry said:

C'mon Berry, you're so much better than this. Neither BotW or Uncharted procedurally generate planets, animals, plants etc like this all based on a complex formula. Neither game has whole planets, solar systems and galaxies to explore without loading times in between. Neither game has you travelling that fast making it work harder to bring in assets for a whole planet, including anything you may have built or destroyed in there.

sorry but for me only one thing is worse than bad gameplay mechanics, that's bad performance.