By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yoshi's Island or Mario 64?

Which is better?

Yoshi's Island 42 30.22%

Mario 64 97 69.78%

Total:139

Super Mario 64 for me...
While Yoshi's Island looks pretty, I find it incredibly slow and tedious; it's quite possibly the most overrated game I've ever played...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

I don't even really like Yoshi's Island, but even if I did it wouldn't come close. Mario 64 is one of the best games ever.

Im surprised 25% think Yoshi's Island is as good/better than Mario64.

That number should be much lower, imo.

Neither, Super Mario World, much better than those 2 you mention.

I 100% Yoshi's Island and loved the aesthetics and gameplay style (yes, even with baby mario element).

Mario 64...never inspired anything in me and after playing Sunshine and Galaxy it makes it even harder to go back.

I get the milestone from a technical standpoint, but given the choice I'd select Yoshi's Island every time.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
I mean, it's essentially comparing apples to oranges. Both great experiences that may be favored due to one's preference.

I love both, and am still awaiting a 3DS or HD Wii U/NX port of 64 to this day. Yoshi's Island DS and 3DS leave me satisfied- now I just need Super Mario 64 remade

Have you played Super Mario 64 DS? adds a whole load of new features (not all of them great) but it does include Yoshi and Wario as playable characters in Mario 64 as well as adding... I think 60 or 50 stars onto the 120 original ones from the N64 title.

It was one of the few games which I found myself going to the touchscreen rather than the dpad of the NDS though, a dpad wasn't really fantastic for Mario 64.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Shadow1980 said:
Yoshi's Island technically isn't even a Super Mario game. It doesn't quite play like a Super Mario game, and Mario isn't a playable character. And I remember playing a demo of it at Wal-Mart back in '95/'96 and not really caring for it. I may retry it one day to see if my tastes have changed enough in the past 20 years for me to get past how it wasn't a "real" Super Mario game.

Meanwhile, Super Mario 64 quickly became one of my all-time favorite games. While most of those early 3D games simply didn't do anything for me, Nintendo seemed to have a better grasp of how to transition to and make good use of 3D polygon-based graphics than most other companies did, and Super Mario 64 was able to make the Mario formula work well despite the changes necessary when jumping from 2D to 3D.

But.... you haven't played the game I guess? Since Mario is playable at points in it when you get the super star, he pops Yoshi into a giant egg and you run along as Mario who has a glide ability with his blanket and can run up walls, sure... those are not traditional mario moves, but neither could you triple jump, back flip or do sliding tackles in the first Mario games you most certainly if you want to tick off the boxes of what makes a Mario game, Super Mario 64 has no power mushroom to increase size like every title (even the game boy titles) before it did in the Mario games, you literally spend the entire game as a single sized character with a health bar, how non traditional can you get for Mario to have a health bar?! and no fireflower to be seen either another stable of every Mario title.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Yoshi's Island, no doubt, it has aged way better than Mario 64 in every sense and is a blast to play even today, Mario 64 still fun, but certainly not as much.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Yoshi's Island, no doubt. This game was part of my childhood.

I only played Mario 64 years after.

I read this as 'you played Mario, but 64 years later' for a second there.

Yoshi's Island for me, it's timeless. Graphics still like great, gameplay is still good and it probably has the best bosses of any game in that universe.

Mario 64 is still very good, but has dated more in terms of both looks and gameplay