By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales for the future..

Leo-j is like the anti John Lucas. He has insanely low predictions on how Wii will sell rather than insanely high ones.

Around the Network
PDF said:

Many of those games you named are nothing more than games nintendboys will recognized.  Most people dont care about those or even heard of them.  Alot of them are DS games that wont always switch over well to Wii versions.

You have presented nothing that will give much hype or will push console sales.  I have not seen a new Nintendo IP on consoles that is AAA.  Just like the Source said.  Console peak when they release there best games.  This year is nintendo best year.  Nintendo has make a few good games like pikmin and some others but I dont see many console pushers being made.

Well you said you didn't see Nintendo making a lot of new IPs and that list kinda proves you wrong on it. I think it is premature to say any console has had its best games out at this point. Inevitably some developer will get a great idea and turn it into a smash hit. Nintendo is undeniably one of the best software developers out there, and they have recently aquired Monolith Soft to bolster their RPG ranks. I am willing to bet something comes out of that and is a system seller. Never under-estimate their first party development teams ability to surprise even themselves. Super Smash Brothers was a two-man throw away project at first, and now look at the series.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

PDF said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
PDF said:

@ClaudeLv250- please tell me huge games that will come out for the Wii that will have the appeal SSBB or MK will have.   I dont really see Nintendo making alot of new IP.  It is pretty much down hill.  What do they have left?  A new DK and Kirby game.

Well SSBB and MKWii are strange qualifiers because few games in the industry sell like that. If we're basing the future of a console solely on those one or two super multi million sellers than I would have to say that the future of all the consoles doesn't look very bright.

Also, you don't think Nintendo won't make new IPs? Really? What an odd stance seeing how they made more new IPs recently than they have since the SNES era. We've gotten:

Pikmin, Chibi-Robo, Golden Sun, Master of Illusion, the Wii line, Brain Training, Soma Bringer, Nintendogs, Magical Vacation (Magical Starsign), Disaster: Day of Crisis, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (2nd party rights), Eternal Chronicle, Big Brain Academy, Geist, Legend of Stafy, Doshin the Giant (technically a 64DD game), Electroplankton, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, True Swing Golf, and many more I'm probably missing. All in the last 6 years, or in other words the average length of a generation.

This doesn't include unnamed new IPs like the one Miyamoto is working on mention as far back as last year, the Matsuno x Monolith RPG which is supposed to get a massive push, offshoots of existing franchises into new territory (Tingle RPG, Donkey Konga, Battalion Wars, etc.), revivals of dormant franchises (Wave Race, Kid Icarus), exclusive 3rd party IPs produced/published by and/or in collaboration with Nintendo (Fatal Frame IV, Monster Hunter 3), the daily updates of the ass-ton of current franchises yet to be represented (F-Zero, StarFox, etc.), and the next installments of franchises already present (Zelda Wii). Really, you think Nintendo just going to stop now when there's so much money to be made?

Many of those games you named are nothing more than games nintendboys will recognized.  Most people dont care about those or even heard of them.  Alot of them are DS games that wont always switch over well to Wii versions.

You have presented nothing that will give much hype or will push console sales.  I have not seen a new Nintendo IP on consoles that is AAA.  Just like the Source said.  Console peak when they release there best games.  This year is nintendo best year.  Nintendo has make a few good games like pikmin and some others but I dont see many console pushers being made.

Your argument just went in another direction entirely. Considering that people can't even decide on what an "AAA" game is in the first place it's hardly a qualifier for new IPs. And only "nintendboys" recognize those games? I don't even know what you're trying to say, they're new IPs so it's not even like there's fanservice to entice "nintendboys" in the first place. Not every new IP is going to be a multimillier seller. It doesn't happen overnight and the ones Nintendo do have planned, they're hardly going to glabbing about on game messageboards for us lowly people to disect the concept.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Um, Wii Fit is a new IP. They also came up with Brain Training and Wii Sports. I'd call them more new IP than anything I've seen on the 360 or PS3. And they have sold more consoles than any other games. So I don't see how you can say Nintendo doesn't come up with new IPs.

PDF said:

"Console sales tend to peak well after all the 'good' games are out."

That was the first sentence of thesource's post. Either I misunderstood it, or you minunderstood it.

Around the Network

@PDF...you didn't really refute anything I said in my post. You just downplayed everything by setting the world record for using the word "gimmick" in a post.

You mentioned "core" games(which I will again remind you are less relevant than in the past, at least for the Wii), and I responded by mentioning some "core" games. No, they aren't as big as Mario or Zelda, but not many games in the world are. Still, you're separating "nintendboy" and "core" gamers, like there is no overlap in those two sets. Depending on the approach, a lot of people could be very excited about the first DK, Pikmin, and Star Fox games. If you think Animal Crossing won't sell a buttload, you should really take a look at the long legs of AC and AC: WW. For all intents and purposes Kid Icarus, Golden Sun, Pilotwings, and Earthbound are new IP's to many people out there, just with the added benefit of a pre-existing, loyal fanbase.

There is also a good chance that we'll see another Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game this gen. It wouldn't surprise me if neither of those 3 make a return, but Nintendo has had at least one of those franchises make 2 appearances each generation(if you count Yoshi's Island on the SNES).

The thing that really gets me about your assertion of "AAA" games running dry, is that you unwisely assume Nintendo has released Zelda, Mario, Paper Mario, Metroid, Smash, Pokemon, and Mario Kart with no plans for the future. Do you seriously think that is all they have planned for the "core" gamer?

And you couldn't be more right about the girls at your school playing or wanting Wii's. Most of them may be clueless, but they are just as clueless as all of the middle-aged men I knew who bought a PS2 for college football and NASCAR games. They bought their PS2's, were crazy about them and their sports games, wouldn't buy anything for another year until the next NCAA/NASCAR game, then the PS2's sat in a closet for years.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

PDF said:
@ClaudeLv250 - my comment at nintendboys likeing them was directed and the 2nd rate ninty franchises.
@Gnizmo - They have make tons of new games on the DS, and even some on the Wii but I still cant think of a new IP of realy importance on a console since pikmin.

My points is why will the Wii slowdown. 08 best software year, after that there not alot of console pushing games. I think but am not sure, that the Wii appeal will die down somtime in 09. The price of a PS3 and 360 will cause more to choose them over the Wii. Wii price drop will save it for a while but more people will look at the PS3 or 360 since it is cheaper.

That was my arguements. You have my fighting a point that Nintendo doesnt make new IP and Doesnt have games left. They do just not console pushing ones and yes they could make a new console pusing IP but I havnt seen one for a while from Nintendo.

Well there was this one game they released that has gotten a bit of hype. It is an old launch title that a few people still play. I think it is Wii Sports, or something close to that. Sarcasm aside, there is more than just Nintendo on the Wii. Third party killer apps will come with a fanbase that big and keep momentum going. Once a console becomes popular it becomes self perpetuating.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

One of the main flaws with the logic that "the wii will stop selling soon because people will get sick of the the motion sensing "gimmick" any day now" is that motion sensing isn't a gimmick at all.

It's called *accessibility* - the wii also did this by cutting down the number of buttons on the controllers as well. I also don't think accessibility will go out of style as fast as some here might hope.

"Accessibility" is what the few hundred million people on the planet who have never really played console games look for.

Say what you will but a 20+ button controller is batshit confusing unless you're training dozens of hours a week with it.

This is interesting *eats popcorn*
Seriously, the Wii will sell decent, but I'm not a future-seeing person, so I'm not sure how well.

Nintendo is the most prolific developer of new IP in the world. They have also been the most successful at maintaining IP. They've been doing it for decades and all the sudden the pipeline is going to dry up? It kind of defies logic.