By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales for the future..

It's nice to know that Wii Doomsday has been pushed back from Summer 08 to 2009. I'm not really sure why "Nintendo has no more games!!" seems to still be set for its original date (second half of 08) since people try to correlate the two arguments.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Nintendo still has several untapped franchises yet to be published for the Wii. While I won't say any of them will see the same response as say, Brawl, they will be enough to maintain interest for those primarily gaming on the Wii.

By the time those as of yet unseen franchises roll out, giving a rough two year turn around cycle for those franchises that have already been released, I would expect to see the next version of at least some of those games nearing gold status. Another Zelda, a new Metroid series, another Mario title, etc.

I'm sure most have noticed Nintendo is roughly releasing one major title per quarter this year, which is something that should be sustainable for the near future.

One thing that can't be counted on this year is for solid third party titles on par with Nintendo's key franchises. It's unfortunate for Nintendo fans, but third party developers simply won't sink their heaviest resources and their best development teams (spending years on a potential hit title) into Wii exclusive softs. And if they're not exclusives, it hardly needs to be said that the Wii version is simply a scaled down version of a game developed for the 360/PS3.

As for the whole doomsday scenario, it is about as likely as those who believe the market for the Wii can double, triple or more every year infinitely until it is replaced by Nintendo's next console.

That being said, I would not be surprised to see demand met for the Wii prior to Q4 2008, followed by a near complete sell through for Q4 and then settling into typical console sales rates by Q1 2009 with ample supply available. That is much more plausible than claiming something like the Wii will sell 50million by Q1 2009 and 100million by Q1 2010.

Off-topic, but anyway:

Is it just me or do all PS3 fanboys have anime avatars?

Aurally examine my music!

Wear gaudy colours or avoid display. It's all the same.

Be warned, I will use walls of polysyllables and complex clauses as a defence against lucid argument.

Wand to read a creepy thread?

Username2324 said:
Nintendo could not manufacture enough Wii's to get to 50 million by years end, and if they did, there would we so many in stock no one would want one anymore.

They can and will manufacture 50 million Wiis by the end of the year and people will buy more than that. I'll bring this thread back at the end of the year so everyone can have a good laugh at your post.

Good idea.

Be warned, I will use walls of polysyllables and complex clauses as a defence against lucid argument.

Around the Network
damkira said:
Username2324 said:
Nintendo could not manufacture enough Wii's to get to 50 million by years end, and if they did, there would we so many in stock no one would want one anymore.

They can and will manufacture 50 million Wiis by the end of the year and people will buy more than that. I'll bring this thread back at the end of the year so everyone can have a good laugh at your post.

wait, people will buy more Wiis than Nintendo will manufacture? =)

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

@omgwtfbbq

Of course.. there have already been Wiis produced.

Sometimes one needs to think about the numbers.

Someone made a great point a little while back.

So far this generation Nintendo is the only company that has done NOTHING at all to boost sales of the console directly.

So far both MS and Sony have done, price drops, bundles, new models, limited editions, sony have even added a new colour in Japan (Whether MS have added a new colour is debatable, I would class elite as a new model).

So basically MS and Sony only have the trick of new colours left, and for Sony only in America and others. The other things will just be furthering previous efforts.

Whereas Nintendo have done nothing. Have you seen any official Nintendo bundles? Nope. Any new colours? Nope. Any limited editions? Nope. Price drops? Nope. New models? Nope.

So basically even assuming demand did start to drop for the Wii, Nintendo could easily do something about it. Demands dropping? Okay let's take this chance to start producing Black Wii's or drop the price or maybe create a Zelda bundle/Mario bundle.

So yea I think expecting Wii demand to drop so suddenly is crazy until we see Nintendo try all of those things.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

PDF said:
I think that the Wii wont reach over 100m life time or even 80m

I think that buy 09 the sale trends will change like leo-j predicts but I predict they will happen later. In 09 both consoles could be cheaper than $250. I think once the PS3 and 360 reach that price they will see huge sale increase.

Of course the Wii will drop its price at this point, so the Wii will continue to sell but not like it is now. end of 08. Wii at 40m End of 09 Wii at 55m end of 2010 it will be at 63m and by 2011 it will stop selling.

I think Nintendo is kind of running out of its core AAA franchises. So I think by the end of this year they are not really going to have much left. A few they will anounce at e3 for end of 08 and early 09.

So you're expecting an unprecedented occurrence in the video game market: the clearly dominant console in the market, which has so far done nothing in the way of new bundles, colors, or price-drops, will magically be irrelevant in the eyes of consumers in 3 years.

As for software, Nintendo has been practically crapping new blockbuster franchises the last few years seemingly at will. Though I was personally intrigued by Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit, I admit that I didn't expect them to be system sellers and move millions apiece like they have. As for "core" games, which are less relevant than ever(sadly), there are plenty of people out there that are eagerly awaiting to see Star Fox, DK, Pikmin, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and Kirby on the Wii. I'd almost bet money that we'll see a sequel to one of the following that have already made their Wii debut: Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Pokemon, and Wario Ware. Then there is the endless supply of Mario Sports titles. Nintendo could also pull Kid Icarus(looks to be happening), Earthbound, Punch-Out, Golden Sun, or Pilotwings out of their back pocket at any time. That's just what Nintendo alone can do, third parties will also be releasing games. 

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."