By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Suicide Squad critically off to a bad start: 26%RT & 41%Metacritic(Updated)

Ganoncrotch said:
hershel_layton said:
Do people still care for reviews?

just watch it. if you didn't like it, too bad. no one is forcing you to like it or watch it

Do you just walk in and watch every single movie on the in the Cinema every week regardless of their reviews? How can you judge a film without seeing it, just because it's a chick flick rom com it might be the best movie in the world ever, Just watch it!

I would add that your second line starts by telling people to watch it, and ends saying no one is forcing us to watch it, I'm confuse!

I'm not a movie fan actually.

If something catches my eye, I watch it. Not too much thought put into it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Comparing it Deadpool and Guardians? It's not really inferior to either in all honesty. Disclosure, I've seen all three and currently own one of the aforementioned films and I can say that they are all breaths of fresh air in these genres. Guardians was fantastic and Deadpool was just crude and funny to a point where you just grinned at everything. Suicide Squad deserves to be in those same conversations. Suicide Squad was really funny and the audience was laughing quite a bit. I just don't understand half of the criticisms towards SS because it's fine if Disney or Fox do it with Marvel properties, but sure enough, DC has a funny ensemble or somewhat crude film and it's dashed by critics and the moviegoers who hold these critics up on pedestals.

I have one piece of advice: go see Suicide Squad for yourselves and be ready for a good, action packed fun time.

I don't understand why it's so important to put a number scale on something since we all have different personal scales, but if Guardians is an 8/10 for me, Deadpool a 6/10, then Suicide Squad is right in the middle at 7/10 for me. Deadpool had one thing going for it: Reynolds and his quips. Guardians had the cast, humor, and villain going for it. Suicide Squad definitely has the cast and humor as major pluses. 

I saw Suicide Squad last night, and I would say it is a solid 7/10.

The villain is poorly written, rushed in, and has a really unsatisfying, almost nonsense conclusion. They tried almost too hard to make the "heroes" into good guys and would just periodically shove in something lightly bad and have a character be like "but we still aren't good guys hue hue hue". Most of the characters, basically everyone except Harley and Deadshot, are barely developed.

The Joker & Harley relationship was also a little too prominent as a subplot, yet so poorly developed. The Joker was portrayed as a crazy but love sick puppy who couldn't figure out how to laugh. It barely reflected the completely broken nature of the Joker/Harley relationship, where she cares too much and he just uses her for his own ends, abusing her emotional attachment. It doesn't help that even as far as different portrayals and interpretations go, Leto Joker was lacking in a lot of ways.

All the negative aside, the movie was ultimately fun to watch. The action was neat, the soundtrack was great, and the humor was for the most part pretty decent. I'm probably being generous giving Suicide Squad a 7/10, but in the end it seems fair enough. I would definitely expect an extended edition that will fill in the gaps in the plot.

^^ Good points Lucky. I forgot all about the Suicide Squads soundtrack! It was not choppy, poor, or thrown in. There was maybe ONE song that played a little long that I noticed was annoying, but other than that, it was great and filled the film wonderfully. Definitely something they took note of from Guardians.

Okie_Loki said:

Comparing it Deadpool and Guardians? It's not really inferior to either in all honesty. Disclosure, I've seen all three and currently own one of the aforementioned films and I can say that they are all breaths of fresh air in these genres. Guardians was fantastic and Deadpool was just crude and funny to a point where you just grinned at everything. Suicide Squad deserves to be in those same conversations. Suicide Squad was really funny and the audience was laughing quite a bit. I just don't understand half of the criticisms towards SS because it's fine if Disney or Fox do it with Marvel properties, but sure enough, DC has a funny ensemble or somewhat crude film and it's dashed by critics and the moviegoers who hold these critics up on pedestals.

I have one piece of advice: go see Suicide Squad for yourselves and be ready for a good, action packed fun time.

I don't understand why it's so important to put a number scale on something since we all have different personal scales, but if Guardians is an 8/10 for me, Deadpool a 6/10, then Suicide Squad is right in the middle at 7/10 for me. Deadpool had one thing going for it: Reynolds and his quips. Guardians had the cast, humor, and villain going for it. Suicide Squad definitely has the cast and humor as major pluses. 

I don't even like Marvel movies that much (my favorite comic book movies are The Dark Knight and Batman Begins with Burton's Batman '89 probably at three), but no way is this as good as Deadpool or Guardians. 

This movie is basically trying (very hard) to be like Deadpool, but doesn't have the R-rating or clever dialogue to come close to pulling that off. 

Deadpool had huge laughs and a huge reaction from the crowd I saw it with ... this movie had a couple of giggles at some forced Harley Quinn lines which got tired after 15 minutes. 

Deadpool even did the whole "lets get some kitschy 70s/80s songs in the soundtrack" better by using Angel of the Morning and even Wham to good effect. 

There is basically no story to this ... the plot is them *literally* fighting faceless villian hordes, they then stop to take a break at a bar for 10 minutes, then continue on, Will Smith defeats the female Mummy/Zuul (which is hillariously out of place in a movie like this), and the movie is over. This plot should be in every screenwriting book as an example of awful storytelling, there's no stakes, no drama, no escalation of events. 

Around the Network

I don't fully agree soundwave but you do make fair points.
I liked Deadpool, it was funny. It had humor going for it. But let's compare villains since that was a common complaint for Suicide Squad and something I haven't heard for Deadpool. DP's was a generic "get back at the guy who created me" and the villain wasn't even all that interesting to add to that. He was a human with a little bit of restorative augments. SS technically had more than one villain and they were at least visually interesting to look at if nothing more. This is what I'm not understanding, it's almost as if with critics and some people that Suicide Squad never had a chance to begin with.

Deadpool is a 6/10 movie.

Lawlight said:

If Deadpool is 6/10, then Suicide Squad is 2/10. 

Deadpool does everything Suicide Squads tries so hard to do, and does it far better. 

Including even the "team" aspect ... Deadpool has more chemistry with Colossus and Negasonic Teenager whatsherface than the entire Suicide Squad does. There are like 3-4 major characters in this movie that could have been cut entirely out of the film with no real loss (Captain useless Boomerang, Japanese lady with the sword and one of the most forced "emotional" scenes in a movie you'll ever see, the Joker, for starters). 

Okie_Loki said:
I don't fully agree soundwave but you do make fair points.
I liked Deadpool, it was funny. It had humor going for it. But let's compare villains since that was a common complaint for Suicide Squad and something I haven't heard for Deadpool. DP's was a generic "get back at the guy who created me" and the villain wasn't even all that interesting to add to that. He was a human with a little bit of restorative augments. SS technically had more than one villain and they were at least visually interesting to look at if nothing more. This is what I'm not understanding, it's almost as if with critics and some people that Suicide Squad never had a chance to begin with.

The villian is the biggest problem with SS ... they should have thrown that out of the script 3/4 drafts ago. 

A supernatural villian is allllllll wrong for this type of movie. 

There's other bizarre things about the villian, like at one point she literally starts to move/dance like she's in a Michael Jackson music video ... it's just kinda like what the fuck is going on. 

The CGI on her and her "brother" is really, really bad too. Not only is her character straight out of a Mummy film, but apparently their CGI is right from 1999 too.

Deadpool is a revenge flick but it fits tonally with the style of the film ... he's getting revenge on a fellow mutant who fucked him up, imagine if it was Count Dracula or Voldemort from Harry Potter or something ... that wouldn't work at all, that's basically what SS tries to do.  Having a generic villian would've actually been a huge upgrade, a villian that doesn't belong in that style of movie is 10x more awkward. 

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

If Deadpool is 6/10, then Suicide Squad is 2/10. 

Deadpool does everything Suicide Squads tries so hard to do, and does it far better. 

Including even the "team" aspect ... Deadpool has more chemistry with Colossus and Negasonic Teenager whatsherface than the entire Suicide Squad does. There are like 3-4 major characters in this movie that could have been cut entirely out of the film with no real loss (Captain useless Boomerang, Japanese lady with the sword and one of the most forced "emotional" scenes in a movie you'll ever see, the Joker, for starters). 

Maybe, I haven't seen SS yet. Deadpool should have been a 40 min short. Too many unnecessary scenes that slowed the movie down.