By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VentureBeat: Uncharted 4 proved the power of first-party Sony games

and he wants to derail another thread :( shame.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
So what does it say about the games if it took 2 1/2 years for that big hit to come out, and as the article says, prior to this their biggest profile game was a moneyhatted FS title? Weird article. We already knew Uncharted is a huge franchise. If anything, it proves the power of ND games. Sony's first party as a whole is still pretty meh thus far imho. Not that MS is any better, or even as good. Thank goodness for great third party games this gen.

I liked infamous, driveclub, bloodborne, uncharted. looking forwaed to GTsport, TLG and Horizon.

In other words i disagree with you. But yh, thank God for preferences and options. 

I am also looking forward to TLG and Horizon. Will be my first Sony PS4 games since Driveclub, unless I am forgetting something and not counting a rental like The Order.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Intrinsic said:

I liked infamous, driveclub, bloodborne, uncharted. looking forwaed to GTsport, TLG and Horizon.

In other words i disagree with you. But yh, thank God for preferences and options. 

I am also looking forward to TLG and Horizon. Will be my first Sony PS4 games since Driveclub, unless I am forgetting something and not counting a rental like The Order.

you didnt play bloodborne???? 

Masterpiece!!! <3

I would say that the true power of PS4 was in marketing. The console won the war before it even launched thanks to genius marketing. The whole E3 thing over used games, the slogans (FOR THE PLAYERS)... it's a page right out of Sega and the Genesis. Sony has been great at that on and off since their first console.

Take a look at Wii-U. For years (still may be true, I haven't looked in awhile), it had the highest scoring exclusives of the gen. Yet, where is it now? You can have great games and end up selling 12 million consoles if the marketing sucks.

Sony has great games but without that marketing team, it wouldn't be where it is now.

Around the Network

It saddens me that no one has understood the point of this article.

Basically Sony called out Uncharted 4 this quarter as a reason for why their profit was so high compared to last year
They quite literally said that the increase in profit was primarily driven by the strong performance of Uncharted 4.

The reason profit was considerably up YoY was not because they sold more PlayStation 4's, which have a low profit margin, but because they sold in a huge first party title (Uncharted 4) which has a high profit margin + an increase in network sales, which again have high profit margins.

What the article is saying is that Sony have an opportunity this year to significantly increase profitability by releasing hit first party titles such as Gran Turismo and Horizon: Zero Dawn. By selling in huge amounts via physical + digital and additional content via digital, high profit margins can be achieved on first party software. This in turn could lead to a significant increase in Operating Profit for Sony's fiscal year.

This is something that Nintendo have mastered for a very long time, they never make much on hardware but they've been able to be profitable on the software side due to each of their titles selling considerably more than 1 million units each. Sony haven't really done that with First Party yet, so this year, with Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Horizon Zero Dawn & others, they have the opportunity to really capitalise on software/network sales.

There is a reason why Sony are forecasting profits to be up this year, because this is the year they have they have high selling first party titles. Not to mention the fact that Sony are growing and evolving their network services offer.

Conina said:
Uncharted 4 proved the power of Naughty Dog games, not the power of first-party Sony games in general.

Lol I'm not sure why people are saying this (almost everyone on NeoGAF is saying this). 

The PS4 is almost always up YoY per quarter when good exclusives release. When Bloodborne was released it was up a lot YoY compared from the previous March.  Although it isn't a first party title, February was up YoY because of Street Fighter V. 

Almost every game is a "system seller", though some games just sell more systems. But to say they don't sell system is ridiculous. I'm sure there are going to be people who will buy a PS4 for The Last Guardian, thoug they might not be much. I think the difference between Microsoft and Sony is that Microsoft is releasing games people already have the system for. Forza Horizon 3? If people really wanted it, they would have bought a XBO for Forza Horizon 2. And I'm sure that people who are interested in Gears of War 4 already have a XBO for Halo 5 or MCC.  I think that is why people say their exclusives don't sell. 

The power of Sony's first party games lies in their diversity.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Why do threads on VGChartz always die off once some sense is bought in to them?

Is it because there is no more room for being a fanboy?

Uncharted 4 basically demonstrated what I always felt, Sony is great at cinematic experiences. Just didnt enjoy it very much as a game and took a few months playing through it.

At the very least, its certainly a technical and story telling achievment in gaming.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Intrinsic said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

you didnt play bloodborne???? 

I did. Not very far into it. Just not my type of game. I did like it more than what I played of Demon's Soul when it was free on PS+.