By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rank the Final Fantasy Main Series Titles

Best Era?

Nintendo Era 39 21.67%

Sony Era 137 76.11%

Multiplatform Era 4 2.22%

Total:180

I've only played 5 of 'em (4 out of the 5 are in my personal top 20 of favorite games)...
1. Final Fantasy VI - It has my favorite cast of characters from any RPG. Tons of memorable moments, a really good story and all of the sidequests that you can do at the World of Ruin really flesh out the characters. Also it has my favorite video game villain ever, Kefka.
2. Final Fantasy XII - Great world to explore. Balthier is my GOAT character and I liked most of the cast (though I wish Vaan and Penelo had been more fleshed out). Liked the political tone of the story. The hunts are great sidequests.
3. Final Fantasy IX - Finished this game for the first time a few hours ago and it was wonderful. An amazing experience with a lot of charm and great characters. One of my favorite endings in a game (if not my favorite). Spent so many hours in the Chocobo hot & cold mini-game...
4. Final Fantasy X - A lot of great memories from this one, I loved the battle system and the plot. It would be higher in my ranking if they had not removed the world map and the sense of exploration...
5. Final Fantasy VII - I liked it a lot too

IX and XII could switch places depending on my mood
I wish Hiroyuki Itou directed the next game after XV...

Around the Network

Op has terrible taste lol ranks FFV first lmao i get the feeling he only played that game once because i recently replayed it and....Yeeeeeah.

Anyhow id say.

1. FFIX
2. FFVII
3. FFVIII
4. FFX
5. FFVI
6. FFIV
7. FFXII
8. FFV
9. FF
10. FFXIII
11. FFII

I don't count online FF as mainline games sorry.

OdinHades said:
COKTOE said:
[…]

A..Another person who likes FF XIII? 

I love it! Played it for hundreds of hours and I am actually very proud of dat platinum trophy! =D

I wish I knew how long I played, but it was probably around 150 ish hours. Under rated game with a battle system that just keeps on getting better. The fight with Vercigetorix? was crazy. The plat grind at the end was not my favorite part. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Goodnightmoon said:
Azuren said:

FFV was simple enough that I could ignore the story for the most part and focus on the job system, for which alone it deserves full marks. 

Aaaaand yeah, most people I've discussed this with have claimed a special place in their hearts for Vivi or agreed with me that it wasn't a very good Final Fantasy. There's also the unsettling third group that just fangasms over Kuja (the worst FF villain ever, period). So while you may, for whatever reason, like the game for non-Vivi reasons, a large number of people like it for Vivi reasons. 

I'm on none of those groups, the game was just fantastic and is widely considered as one of the very best of the saga, if you want to believe that is because Vivi is cute then go on but it makes no sense, and honestly to think that a bag of shit like II, the most infamous of the saga for very good reasons, is way better than IX... well, hard to understand tbh but opinions I guess.

I honestly thought op was trolling when i entered the thread lol either that or he's lying and has never really finished most FF's. FFIX is usually regarded the best FF amongst FF enthusiasts or at least top 3, its also the highest rated FF on the metacritic and was the creator of FFs true vision of how he wanted FF to be. 

think-man said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I'm on none of those groups, the game was just fantastic and is widely considered as one of the very best of the saga, if you want to believe that is because Vivi is cute then go on but it makes no sense, and honestly to think that a bag of shit like II, the most infamous of the saga for very good reasons, is way better than IX... well, hard to understand tbh but opinions I guess.

I honestly thought op was trolling when i entered the thread lol either that or he's lying and has never really finished most FF's. FFIX is usually regarded the best FF amongst FF enthusiasts or at least top 3, its also the highest rated FF on the metacritic and was the creator of FFs true vision of how he wanted FF to be. 

Yeah I always thought IX represents everything that makes FF so great, that doesn't mean is perfect but it shocks me that some people may think is the worst of the 15

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
think-man said:

Yeah I always though IX represents everything that makes FF so great, is not perfect but it shocks me that some people may think is the worst of the 15

Bravely series gives me a real FFIX vibe actually. Ive always enjoyed the more "Fantasy" feeling of FFIX rather than most the others have more of a Sci-fi feeling.

1 - Final Fantasy VIII

2 - Final Fantasy VII

3 - Final Fantasy IX

4 - Final Fantasy XIII

5 - Final Fantasy XIV

6 - Final Fantasy X

7 - Final Fantasy VI

8 - Final Fantasy IV

9 - Final Fantasy XII

10 - Final Fantasy V

11 - Final Fantasy III

12 - Final Fantasy I

13 - Final Fantasy II

14 - Final Fantasy XI (FF XI it's at the last position because is the only one in the main series i didn't play and not cause i don't like it)

COKTOE said:
OdinHades said:

I love it! Played it for hundreds of hours and I am actually very proud of dat platinum trophy! =D

I wish I knew how long I played, but it was probably around 150 ish hours. Under rated game with a battle system that just keeps on getting better. The fight with Vercigetorix? was crazy. The plat grind at the end was not my favorite part. :)

Vercingetorix wasn't that bad for me actually, I had a pretty good tactic against him and later came back to him to grind for platinum. But I had a real headache with Kaktorius. That sucker jsut kept on hitting me with 7777 hit points nonstop, I had no idea how to counter that. I mean I could go in full defense and survive until the end of time, but then there was the time limit to get gold for that mission! It was really hard. God, I hate Kaktorius. 

And yes, the battle system is very much underrated. It has so many options, it feels fluid and fun. I think most people just didn't play enough to fully get to know it, I can't explain it any other way. It's true that the start is kind of a stretch. But once you get a little further, the battle system is the best I have ever player in a JRPG. Period. Screw the haters! =D

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Why do people ignore FF11 and FF14?
I love both of those MMOs.

Top 3 in no special order:

-FF XII
-FF IX
-FF V

The rest.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"