By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - would a portable (NX) GTAV be huge?

No

Around the Network

Everyone here is writing it off - but I think there's a reason why GTA ports on tablet are some of the top-downloaded paid apps around.

It's really a matter of getting portable consoles to appeal to adults

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Darwinianevolution said:
No, because the GTA userbase preffer longer sessions, as supossed as the shorter playtimes of handhelds. And in Japan, when handhelds are the biggest dedicated consoles, GTA is not really big at all, so that's something. Plus, T2 doesn't care about Nintendo in the slightless, so the question is kinda moot.

GTA: Liberty City Stories PSP - 7.72m

GTA: Vice City Stories PSP - 5.02m

GTA userbase plays GTA games wherever they are, and GTA Liberty City Stories is the best selling PSP game, so it has a huge handheld audience that hasn't been served sine 2009.

Also, Japan sales for GTA V:

PS3 - 0.97m

PS4 - 0.32m

360 - 0.06m

Total - 1.35m

Its one of the best selling home console gamesof this decade in Japan and would do even better on a handheld.

Bandorr said:
I could never imagine playing an MMO on a handheld device. That sounds like the very definition of awkward.

Also playing graphic intense games like skyrim and GTA sound almost worse.

PSP had several graphics intensive games that were amazing and sold very well. GTA LCS, VCS, God of War COO, GOS and many others. Did you not have a PSP? If NX has Tegra X1 it will be much more pwerful than a PS3 so it should run GTA V with better settings.

fleischr said:
Everyone here is writing it off - but I think there's a reason why GTA ports on tablet are some of the top-downloaded paid apps around.

It's really a matter of getting portable consoles to appeal to adults

Also look at sales of GTA games on PSP. LCS sold 7.72m and is the best selling agme on PSP and VCS sold 5.02m and also is among PSP's best selling games. The market is there, I agree with you! I know it would be a system seller for me and I've wanted a handheld GTA game for a long time.

GOWTLOZ said:
Darwinianevolution said:
No, because the GTA userbase preffer longer sessions, as supossed as the shorter playtimes of handhelds. And in Japan, when handhelds are the biggest dedicated consoles, GTA is not really big at all, so that's something. Plus, T2 doesn't care about Nintendo in the slightless, so the question is kinda moot.

GTA userbase plays GTA games wherever they are, and GTA Liberty City Stories is the best selling PSP game, so it has a huge handheld audience that hasn't been served sine 2009.

PS3 - 0.97m

PS4 - 0.32m

360 - 0.06m

Total - 1.35m

Its one of the best selling home console gamesof this decade in Japan and would do even better on a handheld.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=213831&page=1

Some time ago I tried to analyze the sales of GTA in Japan. Even if it's doing better now than in the past, I don't think it's going to improve enough to make T2 develop a NX port of any GTA. They didn't do it with the Wii and Vice City/San Andreas, a console with 100m users, and home to dozens of PS2 ports already. Why would they do it now?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
GOWTLOZ said:

PS3 - 0.97m

PS4 - 0.32m

360 - 0.06m

Total - 1.35m

Some time ago I tried to analyze the sales of GTA in Japan. Even if it's doing better now than in the past, I don't think it's going to improve enough to make T2 develop a NX port of any GTA. They didn't do it with the Wii and Vice City/San Andreas, a console with 100m users, and home to dozens of PS2 ports already. Why would they do it now?

Wii mote would have been difficult to program an open world game that does so many things, so I think it was the controller that was the reason they did not do it. If NX has buttons GTA V would work well with it and with enough power like having a Tegra X1 it would be able to handle GTA V very easily.

GOWTLOZ said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Wii mote would have been difficult to program an open world game that does so many things, so I think it was the controller that was the reason they did not do it. If NX has buttons GTA V would work well with it and with enough power like having a Tegra X1 it would be able to handle GTA V very easily.

They put Bully and Manhunt 2, I don't see how wiimote controlls would be that much different compared to GTA.

Darwinianevolution said:
GOWTLOZ said:

They put Bully and Manhunt 2, I don't see how wiimote controlls would be that much different compared to GTA.

GTA San Andreas have a lot more to the gameplay and exploration that wouldn't work with motion controls, atleast I think so. Haven't played Bully.

I think the performance of these games on Wii may have been another reason.

GOWTLOZ said:
Darwinianevolution said:

GTA San Andreas have a lot more to the gameplay and exploration that wouldn't work with motion controls, atleast I think so. Haven't played Bully.

I think the performance of these games on Wii may have been another reason.

Bully and MH2 got half a million units sold each (from VGChartz database). Considering the difference in size and importance between those two IPs and GTA, GTA games could have easily sold 1.5m each .

GOWTLOZ said:
Darwinianevolution said:

T2 didnt release gta on the wii or any other nintendo systems simply because they dont think sales would be good enough. Do you seriously think gta would sell tens of millions on the nx?