By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

If this is true does it mean Nintendo have exited the home console market in favour of portable only?

The device is portable with a feature like the vita or vita TV has allowing it's games to be played on the TV.

Anyone read niroloks opinions on gaf?

He describes it as the natural result. Microsoft and Sony end up after western gamers with consolised pcs and Nintendo end up going after the japanese and the younger and casual western gamers.

All analysis on speculation but interesting none the less.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Random_Matt said:
People should stop spouting home console, it isn't. Plugging in a TV doesn't make it a home console, it is a handheld that will probably do fine for Nintendo. It's not going to get PS4/X1 ports or any upcoming game on those platforms.

If you could play with your Ps4 on the go it would suddlenly not be a homeconsole?

Its going to be marketed as a handheld because thats what Nintendo biggest market is versus Sony whose market is mainly home console.

Also this rumour states the home console is weaker than Xbone One. Even the Wii U was stronger than the PS3. This a handheld that can be played as a home console.

t3mporary_126 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

If you could play with your Ps4 on the go it would suddlenly not be a homeconsole?

Its going to be marketed as a handheld because thats what Nintendo biggest market is versus Sony whose market is mainly home console.

Also this rumour states the home console is weaker than Xbone One. Even the Wii U was stronger than the PS3. This a handheld that can be played as a home console.

If it works like both, then is both.

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

Really good point.  A portable has to be designed for portability, and a home console for ergonmics.  Big part of the reason the Gamepad is not as confortable 

Only thing I could think of is if they either have a separate controller for home use (which would defeat the purpose), or some kind of attachable prongs to add to the controller for home use which also seems kind of pointless.

There would have to be separate controllers for home use anyway. This is Nintendo, the company who has the most local multiplayer hits.

But that's just another flaw with this rumor. It pitches a device that seems to be intended for a single person's use.

Just to throw this in there as well, if you have to dock the system to play, it seems to limit the amount of touch screen input you can use in a game.

kitler53 said:
S.Peelman said:
" (..) the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go."

Well, at least that was still a novelty back in 1989.

console quality on the go!

...sounds like a winning idea if i ever heard one.

Sure is.  Just ask Sony.  Or Sega.

ktay95 said:
JWeinCom said:

Really good point.  A portable has to be designed for portability, and a home console for ergonmics.  Big part of the reason the Gamepad is not as confortable 

Only thing I could think of is if they either have a separate controller for home use (which would defeat the purpose), or some kind of attachable prongs to add to the controller for home use which also seems kind of pointless.

These already exist for handhelds 

Dont see why they wouldnt make them for this aswell

So, to make the transition from handheld to portable, you have to break apart the portable, plug it into a dock, put the two halves together (presumably with some bridge in the middle unless you have tiny little Trump hands), then slap a prong on each side.  

That would be an incredibly inelegant solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist in the first place.  And, if you have to dock the console, that also means you can't do much with touch screen controls when its portable.  Just because they could doesn't mean they should.

Help me get up to date on this and break it down....

Is it touchscreen or does the "brain" have buttons? In which case it would need bevels, making it further wider; especially with the possibility of two controllers book-ending it (lol).
I imagine the cartridge would fully insert since you don't want that sticking out plus two controllers. So it would have to be wide enough to allow that plus have an HDMI (?) port somewhere in order to plug into the TV.

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing this. SO far I have a vision of a box with wires and chunks sticking out of every side lol. Portable eh?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
RolStoppable said:

There would have to be separate controllers for home use anyway. This is Nintendo, the company who has the most local multiplayer hits.

But that's just another flaw with this rumor. It pitches a device that seems to be intended for a single person's use.

Just to throw this in there as well, if you have to dock the system to play, it seems to limit the amount of touch screen input you can use in a game.

kitler53 said:

console quality on the go!

...sounds like a winning idea if i ever heard one.

Sure is.  Just ask Sony.  Or Sega.

ktay95 said:

These already exist for handhelds 

Dont see why they wouldnt make them for this aswell

So, to make the transition from handheld to portable, you have to break apart the portable, plug it into a dock, put the two halves together (presumably with some bridge in the middle unless you have tiny little Trump hands), then slap a prong on each side.  

That would be an incredibly inelegant solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist in the first place.  And, if you have to dock the console, that also means you can't do much with touch screen controls when its portable.  Just because they could doesn't mean they should.

i lol'd.

Didn't Nvidia debunk any involvement in any platform?

josh261995 said:
So how long do people think the 3ds has left?

Are there any games announced for next year even? I don't know of anything past Pokémon Sun/Moon.

Smartest thing Nintendo could do at this point IMO.

Sony/MS have monopolized the traditional console market and are oversaturating it with PS4 Neo and XB Scorpio, I always thought a hybrid would give Nintendo a shot at bringing something different to the table and build around their strength -- portable hardware, every portable Nintendo system has outsold its console counterpart since the SNES era.

This should get very good Japanese support at least, which the Wii U didn't, even the Wii was kinda iffy, provided it can handle XB1 ports (downscaled a bit).

TLDR: Great handheld, not a very good console

I feel like we had a similar rumor like this before, just this time, it is with updated stuff clipped together with some other rumors.

But, if its true, that means that it is more of a handheld than it is a console. Yea it has a docking station that connects to a tv but just cause my laptop has an HDMI connection all of a sudden doesn't turn it into a desktop.

Where I think its a bad idea is that firstly, they are going with Nvidia.... Everyone knows that there is a Nvidia tax when you go with them hence why hardly any manufacturers goes with them. Nvidia Tegra is nothing new but the only device I know that runs it is Nvidia shield which is made by... Nvidia! I am sure there are some more but... They sure aren't popular. And that makes me wonder as to why they didn't go with a Snapdragon + Adreno Combo like everyone else does.

Now the Nvidia shield TV without its own screen and etc costs $200. Now that's been out for a long time and etc but it also doesn't include the Nvidia tax since it is made by Nvidia themselves. That is essentially twice as powerful as a 360 which is half as powerful as an x1. Now I doubt Nintendo managed to get it without the Nvidia tax cause if MS/Sony/etc couldn't, how could Nintendo?

That makes for a pretty excellent handheld but as a console... Not so much imo. Of course, that is the last years version so Nintendo might be going with this year's version which should put it along side the x1 but... It will also increase the price of the handheld... Nintendo also wants to be profitable this time around as well so taking that into factor as well as Nvidia tax and etc. It should either be around $200-$250 with the TX1 or $300-$350sh with their new gen at a minimum.

Secondly, I doubt most third parties will be on board with this as far as consoles go due to the different architecture compared to x1, ps4 and pc. But of course, handheld/mobile third parties won't have any issues for the most part.

All in all, it will make a pretty great handheld but not so great console imo. It will be underpowered with little third party support from western devs. I think if this rumor is true, Nintendo is saying goodbye to console development and mainly sticking to handheld with an option to allow people to play it on their TVs which I don't really like. So I hope its false or they have a dedicated console coming as well.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850