By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

JWeinCom said:
SpokenTruth said:

Well, you tell me how in the world they could append 2 quality controllers to the end of a portable device?

Grab your 3DS and add a controller to each end.  Now shove that in your pocket.   Does that sound like a good idea?

Really good point.  A portable has to be designed for portability, and a home console for ergonmics.  Big part of the reason the Gamepad is not as confortable 

Only thing I could think of is if they either have a separate controller for home use (which would defeat the purpose), or some kind of attachable prongs to add to the controller for home use which also seems kind of pointless.

These already exist for handhelds 

Dont see why they wouldnt make them for this aswell

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
People should stop spouting home console, it isn't. Plugging in a TV doesn't make it a home console, it is a handheld that will probably do fine for Nintendo. It's not going to get PS4/X1 ports or any upcoming game on those platforms.

it definitely makes it sound better if you think of it that way, and I hope you are right

if Nintendo does consider this as a successor to both 3DS and WiiU, then it's not good enough

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

SpokenTruth said:
Portable means it will be small.

That means 2 book-ended controllers will be small.

That means not fun to use when playing on the big screen.

To be full sized controllers means the portability factor is poor.

Overall....something has to give or this to work. Functioning controllers or portability.

this is exactly what i hate the idea.  a true "master of none" approach. 

a mobile device that is too big to be mobile.  a console device that is too small to be comfortable. 

a mobile device that is too powerful to be cheap.  a console device that is too weak to be relavant. 

i don't like it.

I'm open to the idea of a home console docking to become home console as well. But in extension, the power of the console might be an issue.

Nintendo games don't tend to push highly detailed textures so 1080p60 might be doable for first party games on a presumed Tegra X2. But I think we might be looking at 900p30 for most third party demanding games. In which case, X2 as powerful as Xbox One?

And then there is the case that a presumed Shield TV 2 would be as powerful as NX, that or a 2017 model possibly being more powerful...

Finally, now the case of having the developers working on porting all the VC games to work on ARM and very likely people having to re-buy games (again.)

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

CGI-Quality said:

I've seen quite a few "bad idea" posts but only one in-depth explanation as to why someone doesn't see this as a good thing. What's the major drawback, here (besides JWein)?

I think i was also pretty clear why i think this is a bad idea. but let me try and make it even more clear.

1. again going for a casual crowd that's very fickle. 
  2. again not making a console that competed directly with the home core base, so no COD, GTA...etc. Power difference would be too much for most third parties to bother with ports of their AAA libraries.
  3. as an extension of the point above, again potentially limited 3rd party support. 
  4. why would a parent buy a $200-$300 handheld/console for their kid(s) when they can buy a $50 tablet instead?
  5. Because they are going portable, they duck oit on power to save battery life. Becauee they duck out on power they end up with an underpowerwd home console. They are putting themselves in a middle ground that doesn't make any sense. 

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:
Less powerful than Xbox one means its should be quite cheap right? If this rumour is correct anyway. I'll head slap hard if Nintendo tries to sell this for $300.

not really.  it cost money to shrink.  if it is close to as powerful as an xbox one but in a form-factor the size of a 3DS then it would be very expensive.

RolStoppable said:

Come to your senses, spemanig. You tend to buy into NX rumors even when there are obvious issues. This isn't a leak.

I think I'm pretty skeptical of most false ones. I only remember being fooled by the controller one and the Rayman one, both of which where very convincing.

JWeinCom said:
jason1637 said:

This is safer for Nintendo. By the time the NX launches the PS4 will be around 55-60ml and the xb1 will be around 30ml.  It would be hard for Nintendo to come into this console race with a brand new console when the other consolkes have a large userbase already and the PSNEO/Scorpio will out peform the NX. This would be another Wii U situation all over again. Nintendo going pushing portability while still giving the fans the home console experience is very smart buisness wise. Imagine the next Pokemon coming to the NX and you can still play it outside and come home hook it up to your TV and play it online with HD graphics.

Also a $50 tablet wont give you the high quality Nintendo experience a $250 console will.

The 3DS already does online, and I have no desire to play Pokemon in HD.  Pokemon already has dated graphics on the 3DS as it is.  The franchise doesn't sell because its audience is looking for HD visuals.  This thing is not offering a home console experience, at least not the one the fans want.  Fans already stated with their dollars that they were not interested in a home console with gimped visuals and poor third party support.  Making it portable isn't going to help much.  Conversely, the 3DS audience has consistently shown that they don't particularly care about curring edge visuals.  

There is no reason the Neo/Scorpio would have to outperform the NX.  More importantly, there is no reason that the PS4/XBox One have to outperform it.  Since all games for Neo will be playable on PS4, Nintendo should have shot for PS4 levels at a bare minimum.  Console generations typically sell around 200 million, and the last one sold about 250.  With a strong  selling point, there's no reason the NX couldn't have gotten a decent slice of that pie, and at least hit 40 million.  If they legitimately thought they couldn't compete, then they should have made a new handheld, rode out the Wii U for another 2 years, and released something competitive as people tire of the PS4 generation.

For the kind of gamer who wants the home console experience, this won't offer it.  For the kind of gamer who is into portables, this doesn't do all that much to make it more enticing.  Not worth sacrificing their home console presence.  

I'm not a Nintendoom kind of guy... but if this is true... then yeah.  Nintendoomed.

PS.  The mom and dad trying to shut their kid up on a road trip don't care whether or not the experience on a 250 dollar portable is better.

I know the 3DS has online but most people dont play online 3ds games on the go when their connection isnt very stable but might meet up with a friend to trade or battle. Pokemon fans have showed that they are interested in Pokemon HD and playing it on homeconsoles just look at how well pokken has done. Pokemon fans are interested in HD pokemon on a home console its just that the Pokemon company hasnt delivered.

It would still be hard for the NX to sell 40 million if it was a new home console and came in this late in the generation. Those that are still looking for a home console would  see the ps4/xb1 more appealing because of the third party support is pretty much guaranteed compared to them buying the NX with the risk of it losing third parties like the Wii u.  I agree that Nintendo should have just rode the next two years and released a new console but it seems like they are not doing that so by having a hybrid console isnt bad.

For those that want a home console experience Nintendo consoles arent the place to go anymore unless your a hardcore fan. Nintendo seems to going after casuals and still pleassing their hardcore home console fans/handheld fans. This way is probably a lot easier to get that 40 million users than having a dedicated home console.

Hopefully it is Tegra 2 and not Tegra 1.

Random_Matt said:
People should stop spouting home console, it isn't. Plugging in a TV doesn't make it a home console, it is a handheld that will probably do fine for Nintendo. It's not going to get PS4/X1 ports or any upcoming game on those platforms.

it plays zelda no?  that was an official announcement i believe.  if it plays zelda then:

A) it's a home console

B) the port of zelda comes with significant downgrades.  could be true but certainly not what anyone currently expects.   if anything people expect upgrades.