By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Xbox One dying faster than the 3DS? Is XOne overtracked?

fleischr said:
Slarvax said:

The XBO is the best selling Xbox system when launches are alligned. The 3DS is shaping to be the worst selling Nintendo handheld.

Now, I don't think the XBO will outsell the 360 (it will sell much less in Europe, and don't even mention Japan), but it could outsell the 3DS, since the Chinese console market was just opened and the Western market is bigger than ever. Now, where is the 3DS doing badly? In the West. And it won't ever release in China.

Sure, but there's little to no growth in HW for X1. 360 had massive legs due to kinect.  It's quickly falling behind. China has been a major non-factor in X1 launch there.

Aren't Pokemon Sun and Moon the first Chinese-translated Pokemon games? VGC probably doesn't even track 3DS in China as it's sold as an iQue system...

Its outselling Original Xbox and 360 to this moment with a strong hardware base.(9 million per year)

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:

So my question is why would the 3ds be considered a failure given that its the 11th most sold console in history (Wikipedia numbers) and even now its only 2nd in monthly sales behind only to the Ps4.

It's the first system that Nintendo sold at a loss, generated Nintendo's first ever FY loss since they joined gaming, and practically started the "Nintendo is doomed" trend of the 8th gen.

fleischr said:

Sure, but there's little to no growth in HW for X1. 360 had massive legs due to kinect.  It's quickly falling behind. China has been a major non-factor in X1 launch there.

Aren't Pokemon Sun and Moon the first Chinese-translated Pokemon games? VGC probably doesn't even track 3DS in China as it's sold as an iQue system...

The Kinect is the reason why I believe the XBO won't outsell the 360. But I'm pretty sure the PS4 + XBO are selling better each year in China, although that might be the PS4 pulling the numbers.

And I didn't know about the iQue being the 3DS in China... but Nintendo still won't be shipping many more 3DS'.

Right now it's a question of how long the XBO will last, and if the Scorpio will be tracked alongside the XBO.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

RolStoppable said:
fleischr said:

But with X1 getting some kind of price cut every 2-3 weeks, that premise seems a bit faulty doesn't it? Assuming both systems are stocked similarly. If it really were selling at the same clip as PS4, it wouldn't need so many extra price cuts on top of the existing price advantage.

It is selling similarly because of the repeated deals. We have had NPD leaks to verify this. The gap in lifetime sales between the PS4 and Xbox One in the USA is still below 2m if I remember correctly.

Well the deals help but you could get a Xbox 360 for 299 at launch while this gen they forced you a 499 console and if you were a Tier 2 you had to wait a long time.  The Xbox 360 was better priced and was the only console for a year so if Xbox sells around the same I find it rather impressive.

It could be overtracked but idoubt its below 20ml. I don't think its dying faster the 3DS because it still has a chance to outsell it.

fleischr said:
Slarvax said:

The XBO is the best selling Xbox system when launches are alligned. The 3DS is shaping to be the worst selling Nintendo handheld.

Now, I don't think the XBO will outsell the 360 (it will sell much less in Europe, and don't even mention Japan), but it could outsell the 3DS, since the Chinese console market was just opened and the Western market is bigger than ever. Now, where is the 3DS doing badly? In the West. And it won't ever release in China.

Well I think xbox one S will help for a boost, the pre orders seem to be atleast good, I expect this quarter a growth with Xbox one S and games like Gears of war 4/FH3/recore etc. Long term it can go both ways. It is the PS4 sales that make the Xbox one sales look bad.

Around the Network

I think Xbox itself is dying. With play anywhere and windows 10 support, and having a decent PC in general, an Xbox is only appealing to those who want the living room experience. Couch, doritos, dew, you know. But I think Microsoft knows what they're doing with Scorpio. Ending generations focuses on Xbox's core audience without having to alienate other audiences. Scorpio is going to change things I think.

3DS get a lot of exclusives that can only be played in that system. Xbox One is sending all their games for the PC and relying on Multiplataform tittles. Because of that the 3DS will have better legs. I don't think that the Xbox will be able to surpass it.

People are saying "Xbox One is selling better than all other Xbox consoles". The original Xbox did not sold very well and the Xbox 360 sold better in the end of the life-cicle. This generation is Microsoft's first generation after a successful console, the inicial sales will be higher because of that.

Isn't it possible that sales are slowly for the current XB1 because consumers are looking to the Xbox One S?

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Megaoverlord12 said:
Isn't it possible that sales are slowly for the current XB1 because consumers are looking to the Xbox One S?

In the short term yes - but this trend has been going on all year. Long before the S or Scorpio were announced or even conceived of in the public.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Swordmasterman said:

People are saying "Xbox One is selling better than all other Xbox consoles". The original Xbox did not sold very well and the Xbox 360 sold better in the end of the life-cicle. This generation is Microsoft's first generation after a successful console, the inicial sales will be higher because of that.

This exactly. Xbox One came in strong, but has lost a lot of gas already right when it should be hitting the accelerator.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016