By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Shares Plunge 17% After Saying Pokemon Go’s Impact Is Limited

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

(...)

Excellent. I want to illustrate the current stage of the argument.

Haven't read this argument but fuck me that game is both awesome and infuriating.  You can play it in the taverns against the AI in Assassin’s Creed Rogue and it was so fucking hard.  But a joy once I finally beat the fucker. 

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
Teeqoz said:

Assumption #1: "It's about Nintendo's incompetency"

What? How do you get that from Nintendo clarifying the ownership structure and means of accounting for financials related to Pokemon Go?

The initial run up of the stock, to me, was that Nintendo's involvement in Pokemon Go would be a lot greater.  With their statement on Friday, we now know that their involvement is limited, hince the sell off.  The incompetency comes in that they were not able to capitalize more from a game that is, according to sources, the largest mobile game in history and bringing in 1.6 million dollars a day in revenue in the first 20 days.

Like I said, that's not the incompetence of Nintendo; it's the incompetence of the investor's that hadn't done their research on the ownership structure of the Pokemon IP. To those that did, it was clear from the start, even from the announcement of Pokemon Go that Nintendo couldn't bag all the cash themselves. Some investors didn't realize this and jumped on the bandwagon, only to panic when Nintendo clarified on friday. It's not Nintendo's fault that investors hadn't done their research on The Pokemon Company and the ownership structure of the IP.

Assumption #2: "For today, they will not be able to leverage any of Pokemon Go's success"

Can you clarify what you mean by "leverage any of Pokemon Go's success"? Their statement says "Because of this accounting scheme, the income reflected on the Company’s consolidated business results is limited.". That does not in any way imply that they can't leverage any of Pokemon Go's success. Quite the contrary, saying that the impact on the consolidated business results is limited basically directly states that there is an impact, hence they are even leveraging it directly. However, furthermore, they are leveraging it indirectly. We have data from the UK that confirms that 3DS games have received tremendous boosts after Pokemon Go's launch. The entire Pokemon game catalog on the 3DS has more than  doubled in week on week sales after the game launched, and other 3DS titles have reappeared in the UK chart. Which brings us to

By 'for today, they will not be able to leverage any of Pokemon's Go success' im talking about the present, here and now, and in the hear and now Nintendo is not benefiting from Pokemon Go in a way that would cause a 100% rise in its stock, its only benefiting on a limited basis.  My statement doesnt say anything about the future.  My mention of the halo effect from Pokemon Go directly answers your UK question.  I said that even with the halo effect in place, it didnt warrant Nintendo to change their forecast on Friday, it doesnt say they will not do it Wednesday or later in the quarter when more time passes.

So we have gone from "they will not be able to leverage any of Pokemon Go's success" to "Nintendo is not benefiting from Pokemon Go in a way that would cause a 100% rise in its stock, it's only benefiting on a limited basis." Pretty huge difference between those two. But at least we are making progress here! I've already covered the 100% increase part, it was always clear that a 100% increase wasn't justified to those that has sufficient knowledge about The Pokemon Company and tye ownership structure of the Pokemon IP. About the "halo effect", you are missing the point. Nintendo factored in the halo effect in their forecast back in april. They expected Pokemon Go to boost other Pokemon related games, so they adjusted their forecast accordingly. Hence why they don't have to adjust it now after thenrelease of the game; they had already factored it in.

Assumption #3: "not announcing any future revisions to sales or profits which tells me that the supposed halo effect that Pokemon Go was supposed to have is not that extensive."

First of all, their statement literally said that they had already taken into account the positive effect of Pokemon Go in their forecast. Explaining why it seemed high at the time they gave it... so why would you expect them to raise them now, when they've already factored it in? Secondly, see above paragraph about what we know about the umbrella effect Pokemon Go has had on the 3DS and its games catalog.

The first 20 days of pokemon go release did not make Nintendo revise any hardware or software numbers even with the halo effect in.   If the halo effect is greater as time goes by, then I will stand corrected, as of now it hasn't happened.  Also they couldnt have taken account of the positive effect becaue the device they are using the gauge it, pokemon go plus, is not even out yet, it releases July 31st.  If the game is the runaway hit it is and more people than they initially thought buys the device, then they would not have accurately accounted for the positive effect of Pokemon Go.

Once again, they already factored in a boost in 3DS hardware and software sales. And uhm... of course they can take into account Pokemon Go Plus as well, even though it hasn't released. That's what forecasts are about. Predicting what your future results willl be, based on what happens in the future. Forecasts aren't 100% accurate, it's why they are refered to as "guidance". You are right though, Pokemon Go Plus might outperform their expectations, but they can't forecast that, their forecast is their expectation. not sure where you were going with this.

If you read it, I'm telling you that your assumptions that you have outlined based on it are silly. If all you had said was that it wasn't due to profit taking, but because of the statement they issued where they explained that the impact would be limited, then yeah, but there was a lot more that doesn't appear to have taken into account the info that's there.

Replies in italics^^

Notice how the op hasn't said a word about any of this so far?. He's just posted a link and added nothing else. Makes me wonder what would happen if he were to talk of the current situation with Pokemon Go.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Notice how the op hasn't said a word about any of this so far?. He's just posted a link and added nothing else. Makes me wonder what would happen if he were to talk of the current situation with Pokemon Go.

Leave him alone. He just wants to post positive news whenever it comes especially for Nintendo!   :o

oh man some people here attacking the op for no reason, keep it up guys.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Chazore said:

Leave him alone. He just wants to post positive news whenever it comes especially for Nintendo!   :o

Reminds me of the "leave Britney alone meme from years passed =P.

Wait how are losing shares good news O-o?. (I'm likely being stupid here).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Teeqoz said:
Train wreck said:

Replies in italics^^

Like I said, that's not the incompetence of Nintendo; it's the incompetence of the investor's that hadn't done their research on the ownership structure of the Pokemon IP. To those that did, it was clear from the start, even from the announcement of Pokemon Go that Nintendo couldn't bag all the cash themselves. Some investors didn't realize this and jumped on the bandwagon, only to panic when Nintendo clarified on friday. It's not Nintendo's fault that investors hadn't done their research on The Pokemon Company and the ownership structure of the IP.

So we have gone from "they will not be able to leverage any of Pokemon Go's success" to "Nintendo is not benefiting from Pokemon Go in a way that would cause a 100% rise in its stock, it's only benefiting on a limited basis." Pretty huge difference between those two. But at least we are making progress here! I've already covered the 100% increase part, it was always clear that a 100% increase wasn't justified to those that has sufficient knowledge about The Pokemon Company and tye ownership structure of the Pokemon IP. About the "halo effect", you are missing the point. Nintendo factored in the halo effect in their forecast back in april. They expected Pokemon Go to boost other Pokemon related games, so they adjusted their forecast accordingly. Hence why they don't have to adjust it now after thenrelease of the game; they had already factored it in.

It wasn't "always clear", if Nintendo came out and said that Pokemon Go would have added to their earnings (even via their insignificant stake) or they would raise guidance due to Pokemon Go raising 3DS hardware/software numbers the stock would have risen further than the 100%, regardless of whether people knew about the Pokemon Co. struture or not.  Stock tend to be bought and sold based on future potential and they put some uncertainity in that with their announcement Friday.  The stock not trading at pre Go levels suggest that there are some that still believe that outlook will change. Also their forecare was given in April, you do know companies change forecast mid quarter all the time based on the operating environment they are in, right?  It looked like Pokemon Go was a pretty significant operating environment change on July 6th.  Fast forward to Friday and we are realizing that its not, at least not yet.  My incompetency stance them remains, they didn't capitalize on the intial craze of Pokemon Go.

Once again, they already factored in a boost in 3DS hardware and software sales. And uhm... of course they can take into account Pokemon Go Plus as well, even though it hasn't released. That's what forecasts are about. Predicting what your future results willl be, based on what happens in the future. Forecasts aren't 100% accurate, it's why they are refered to as "guidance". You are right though, Pokemon Go Plus might outperform their expectations, but they can't forecast that, their forecast is their expectation. not sure where you were going with this.

Once again there is nothing that prevents Nintendo from giving mid quarter updates, companies do it all the time, especially when there is something big as what they have with Pokemon go.

well, seems it's really complicated after all, and as most people, I always thought that Nintendo owned all of "The Pokemon Company"

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Hype can't sustain a bad game.

Seventizz said:
Hype can't sustain a bad game.

The number of active players has not decreased at all, check your facts.