By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3 years have passed, how do you still RATE The Last of Us?

The same thing I thought 3 years ago, great game, that's about it. Solid 8/10 for me, always was.

Around the Network

Top 3 game from last gen easily, actually started playing it again last night and had to force myselft to stop and keep playing today

Boutros said:
DivinePaladin said:
I don't like rating games, but I'd say a 7-7.5 out of 10. Insanely enjoyable gameplay with a bit of enemy variety issues marred by a predictable story and poor pacing. If we add in Left Behind I'll give it a solid 8, because it added in three way battles with humans and infected (which was an absolute travesty that it never made it into the main game).

Predictable story?! You expected that ending?!

Yeah, I mean maybe he saw it but that doesn't mean it was predictable for most people, I know I was surprised

an amazing game 9/10

I'd rate it the same as I did when I beat it the first time; 8.5/10. Just because time has moved on doesn't mean the game has got any incrementally better or worse, it's the same game and the score should reflect that IMO.

At any rate the story is still great, it still looks good, has a lot of great set pieces and a decent challenge/length. Yes it starts a bit slow and the hospital scene seems like a strange way to end a game like this but overall a great experience even now (but that's not a surprise...I mean, it's only been three years).

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Boutros said:

Predictable story?! You expected that ending?!

Story predictability is one of my major complaints as well. I think I saw about 80-85% of the major plot points coming from a mile away. I predicted the deaths of just about every character that died, I definitely predicted every character who got bitten getting bitten, and I saw Ellie's death being required for the Fireflies' plan to work coming from a mile away. The only things that really took me by surprise were having the game transition over to the player controlling Ellie for a bit and then Joel's decision at the end.

As for the OP, my opinion hasn't changed, though admittedly I haven't really touched it since 2013. It's a good game with competent mechanics and storytelling, but ultimately is held back by unrelatable characters and doing nothing new on the gameplay front.

Those were the easy things to predict. Most stories can be predicted as much. But if you can't predict the way it ultimately ends than I don't know how you can call the story predictable. I'm sure you also expected either Ellie or Joel to die in the end but that didn't happen and I was personally very surprised by that.

Boutros said:
MTZehvor said:

Story predictability is one of my major complaints as well. I think I saw about 80-85% of the major plot points coming from a mile away. I predicted the deaths of just about every character that died, I definitely predicted every character who got bitten getting bitten, and I saw Ellie's death being required for the Fireflies' plan to work coming from a mile away. The only things that really took me by surprise were having the game transition over to the player controlling Ellie for a bit and then Joel's decision at the end.

As for the OP, my opinion hasn't changed, though admittedly I haven't really touched it since 2013. It's a good game with competent mechanics and storytelling, but ultimately is held back by unrelatable characters and doing nothing new on the gameplay front.

Those were the easy things to predict. Most stories can be predicted as much. But if you can't predict the way it ultimately ends than I don't know how you can call the story predictable. I'm sure you also expected either Ellie or Joel to die in the end but that didn't happen and I was personally very surprised by that.

The fact that they are the easy things to predict is the problem. Regardless of where they are in the story, I shouldn't be able to anticipate all but two of a story's major plot points. Take something like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for instance. Not only did I not see the ending coming, but I didn't anticipate the first hacker being a human proxy, I didn't anticipate the attack on Sarif Industries being funded by a rival producer, I didn't suspect that Eliza was an AI, and I certainly didn't see having to choose whether to save the doctor on the ship Adam boards or a group of prisoners. And these are just a few examples; there's plenty more. The Ace Attorney games are some other practical examples of stories that keep you guessing throughout. Maybe you're right, and most stories are as predictable as TLoU's, but if that's the case, that's an issue with most stories, not a pass for TLoU. 

It's pretty much the perfect game. It's grown on me even more over time because I think that's what a good story does for a game. You can think about stories and relive them in your imagination when you're not playing them. You can't do that with good gameplay mechanics.

It's a 10. Perfect? hell no, the AI is still bonkers, but the rest of the game is excellent.
I'm still having internal debates about the ending plus the pacing is damn good. MP was also a surprise gem that didn't get enough attention in my opinion.

Bring on a sequel or leave like that, I'm satisfied either way.

I really liked it. But it wasn't even my favorite in the year I played it (June 2014). A great game, but it's not my goat game, or even my goty.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."