By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Live-Action Detective Pikachu Movie being made by Legendary Pictures

Can't say I'm looking foward to it.

Around the Network

Fuck off Hollywood! Aren't you satisfied ruining countless other franchises already? From Last Airbender to Star Wars, where will it end!?

When is Nintendo going to break into the CGI film business? Besides the Pikmin movies? I mean come on. I guess it's hard since none of Nintendo's IP usually talk...

That's kinda .... weird. Not sure how they can make a entire movie out of that, guess it'll be something kids could enjoy. Shrugs.

Seem to me like Nintendo maybe hedged on the idea of a full blown Pokemon live action movie and wanted to see Legendary/Universal handle a smaller scale concept.

Dat IP exploitation, tho.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

Yeah, this is basically sort of a safety net of sorts as well. Because if this tanks, it at least has the excuse of being based on a spin-off and it won't be anywhere near as bad as it would have if this were a full-throttle Pokemon movie based off the mainline games.

Also, I think a big part as to why movies like The Last Airbender and Dragonball: Evolution bombed so hard like they did were because it was all Hollywood's take on those franchises. Because as far as I know, the creators and team behind Avatar and Dragon Ball had no input direction, or hand in creating those films. Hell, Akira Toriyama said in an interview that Hollywood didn't listen to him and his ideas when created Evolution and... we all know how that ended.

The fact thT you brought up evolution should be banable.

Metallox said:
Dat IP exploitation, tho.

I'm waiting for the return of the Nintendo Cereal System.

Seriously.  Since Nintendo is going all nostalgia with things like the miniNES and starting to milk their IPs again like they did in the mid-80's, they should bring back the NCS.  Nintendo shouldn't even change the design of the box.  It could even be a special novelty item they could sell at their section in Universal Studios theme parks if they can't bring it back to the supermarkets.

Detective Pika vs Ted.

Bring it on.

I expect it to be a mess tbqh 

I feel even worse for mentioning the Last Airbender.