By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Backlog Support Group

Hi, I'm Arlo. As life progresses I have less time to play games yet I buy games at a faster rate. I've got dozens on my immediate "to play" list" with at least a hundred more in my library and tons of games I want coming next year.

Around the Network

I just avoid buying games until they're under 20(unless it's pokemon, then it's day 1 purchase :P)

Just doing that prevents me from wasting money on games. I also avoid steam bundles. they typically throw in games I'll probably never play.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

RolStoppable said:
I don't have a notable backlog, so I'll try to give you guys a few tips.

1. Raise your quality standards for games that you have yet to buy - The majority of the games that are deemed good aren't great, so you aren't missing out by skipping them. If you have a few years of gaming experience, you should already know which kinds of games you like best, so only in those genres you should go beyond the top-of-the-line games.

2. Raise your quality standards for games that you own, but have yet to play - This will help to clear your existing backlog faster. A lot of games do not age well, so even if you got around to them eventually, you would be wasting your time. Compile a list of your backlog games and then scratch everything that isn't exceptionally good.

3. Don't see it as your duty to finish games - This is once again a point about quality standards because that's what it really is all about. If you start a game and then don't like it, by all means just quit. When I read posts from, say, Veknoid_Outcast that are about how he is forcing himself through garbage like Puppeteer, I want to slap him because there needs some sense beat into him.

Ultimately, you'll end up buying and playing fewer games, but you'll enjoy the time more and save money. There's no reason why you should play every half-decent clone of concepts that have proved to work. Be more picky about what you play.

I try to follow #2 as best I can, but I find myself playing bad games because they're co-op. I recently suffered through Haze. I really wish we had more local co-op games around that weren't platformers.

For #3, it's something I'm still dealing with. I have a bit of gaming ADD where I like to jump around a bit. I still enjoy the games I stop playing at one point, and I don't force myself to finish them, I'll end up not beating so many.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

My problem with my backlog is that I love RPGs. They just take so freakin' long to play. Won't stop me from buying them, but still. When I look at them it gives me the image of some guy hunkering down in a nuclear fallout shelter with 10 years' worth of canned food hoarded up. Maybe I'm stockpiling them in case the entire gaming market goes belly up again. :)

I need to be a part of this... I still have backlog games for the NES which are still to come out of the box... 10 years of playing World of Warcraft really didn't help my backlog situation too (2 years+ of actual play time... but it did get me a wife, so I can't complain lol)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
I need to be a part of this... I still have backlog games for the NES which are still to come out of the box... 10 years of playing World of Warcraft really didn't help my backlog situation too (2 years+ of actual play time... but it did get me a wife, so I can't complain lol)

Wow... are they unsealed? You might want to save those for eBay. :)

That's one reason I'm not into MMORPGs. I played WoW for a few months.  I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV: ARR enough that I wouldn't mind getting back into it... if it were possible to pick it up and play at intervals instead of having to make commitments to it long-term to get anywhere. My wife also enjoys MMORPGs, though, and if I can talk her into playing FFXIV I might get back into it. MMORPGs are just too much of a time sink for me, and I'd rather be playing other games.

Hi, Im SolidSnack, and Im now preordering PSN games, not for the game, but for the screensaver (and some of them are pretty great)
There is my PC backlog, which Id rather not discuss

SanAndreasX said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Wow... are they unsealed? You might want to save those for eBay. :)

That's one reason I'm not into MMORPGs. I played WoW for a few months.  I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV: ARR enough that I wouldn't mind getting back into it... if it were possible to pick it up and play at intervals instead of having to make commitments to it long-term to get anywhere. My wife also enjoys MMORPGs, though, and if I can talk her into playing FFXIV I might get back into it. MMORPGs are just too much of a time sink for me, and I'd rather be playing other games.

Nope sadly I don't have any of my NES games sealed, because I'm from a smaller area a lot of the shops here would take games out of their boxes and store them away behind the counters leaving the empty boxes on shelves for people to browse, back when the NES was a thing it would be impossible really to find a shop which had sealed copies for sale even here.

Not that I would sell games anyway, I still have all the games I've ever bought.

I do have a sealed 2600 game weirdly... but I think it isn't worth jack shit lol, it's one of the Atari Sports range, like...just called Soccer or something like that, found it at a boot sale a few years ago in with some books, still wrapped in plastic, bought the pile of "books" for a euro just in case it was worth anything :D

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Sealed-Real-Sports-Soccer-Game-for-Atari-2600-PAL-UK-Version-NOT-FOR-USA-/390318116744?hash=item5ae0c5cf88:g:Gc0AAMXQDrJRyfH5

All these years later... still worthless hahaha.

Have a sealed Zelda Collectors edition from the GC though, think that's worth a fair amount even though it's 20 years newer.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Hi, my name's Plerpy_ and I have a backlog problem. My problem stems from the fact I'm a dirty filthy trophy whore. Even when I finish a game (MGS V for example) I can't stop. I have 75% trophy completion why would I stop that's ridiculous. I MUST grind out the rest of the trophies even if that means I end up hating the game. And I *sobs* I... *sobs* I only bought Gravity Rush and Ratchet & Clank because they had such high platinum trophy completion rates...oh God I'm such a whore.

Gravity Rush, R&C, Dark Souls 3, Lost of Us Remaster, GTA V, Mad Max, Uncharted 4. All games that I'll be playing again not because I want to but because I must be drenched in their delicious trophies.

Happy to report in that I have beaten Mario Tennis (GBC) single player campaign fully for both singles and doubles. Liked the approach on leveling up and it taking away points when adding points to other attributes made it more interesting building stats (instead of just being good at everything, you had to sacrifice some attributes). I played and beaten Mario Golf on GBC (actually have the cart) and I'd have to say the Golf and Tennis GBC versions are pretty damn good. I remember even being able to port your character into the N64 game with the N64 Transfer Pak which was kind of cool.

Anyways, I am going to focus on Bully and Retro City Rampage next. I'm at about 58% on Bully so that one should be complete soon hopefully.