By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Backlog Support Group

Hi, my name is outlawauron. I'm a collector who likes to pretend he doesn't have a backlog.

I try to keep my Day 1 purchases to must buy and collector's editions.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

But it's so hard for me to stop playing a game once I've started. Even Puppeteer, which was, as you say, awful. 

Since you already went through it now you could play Dynamite Headdy and write a head to head (ha!) review

Player2 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

But it's so hard for me to stop playing a game once I've started. Even Puppeteer, which was, as you say, awful. 

Since you already went through it now you could play Dynamite Headdy and write a head to head (ha!) review

Lol. And Headlander comes out next week!

zippy said:
Hi I'm Zippy, I also have backlog issues. I will get around to trimming it down, but I just cant seem to put Xenoblade Chronicles X down. I have Fallout 4, The Witcher, Mad Max, Just Cause 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition yet to be played, games are huge these days and need you full emersion.

Looks like you are doing a lot better than me.  I'd almost be embarrassed to list off all my unplayed / unfinished games.  Plus, I think it would take me about 20 mins to gather such a list up.  Right now I am focusing on Bully: Scholarship Edition (Steam), Mario Tennis (GBC VC), Retro City Rampage (3DS) and I suppose I might as well focus on finishing New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U).

Weird is that I had zero problems beating all the other NSMB games (DS, Wii, 3DS).  Seems like the NSMBU is a little more difficult (not saying much especially the easy breazy 3DS version) than other iterations of the series.  Perhaps, I'm just a little burned out on NSMB series that I never focused my strength on finishing the Wii U version.

Slarvax said:
RolStoppable said:
I don't have a notable backlog, so I'll try to give you guys a few tips.

1. Raise your quality standards for games that you have yet to buy - The majority of the games that are deemed good aren't great, so you aren't missing out by skipping them. If you have a few years of gaming experience, you should already know which kinds of games you like best, so only in those genres you should go beyond the top-of-the-line games.

2. Raise your quality standards for games that you own, but have yet to play - This will help to clear your existing backlog faster. A lot of games do not age well, so even if you got around to them eventually, you would be wasting your time. Compile a list of your backlog games and then scratch everything that isn't exceptionally good.

3. Don't see it as your duty to finish games - This is once again a point about quality standards because that's what it really is all about. If you start a game and then don't like it, by all means just quit. When I read posts from, say, Veknoid_Outcast that are about how he is forcing himself through garbage like Puppeteer, I want to slap him because there needs some sense beat into him.

Ultimately, you'll end up buying and playing fewer games, but you'll enjoy the time more and save money. There's no reason why you should play every half-decent clone of concepts that have proved to work. Be more picky about what you play.

But I'm mostly buying classics/games I've always wanted. My problem is online multiplayer games. They shift my focus, and I keep on buying games even if I havent finished others, so it adds up.

Also, leaving games unfinished fills me with anxiety.

It's all about time management, just like anything else really. Dedicate some time to single player games and some to multiplayer games, it's easier said than done and requires some discipline but once you get it down it will save you a ton of stress.

Around the Network

Hi, I'm Danne, and I have a problem. I have quite a few games on both PC, 3DS and Wii that I still have to finish. My problem is that I start playing one game and move on to a new one without even finishing the first game! That way I have build up quite an extensive backlog.

But my problems don't end there, and this my friends are the saddest part... I have started to buy games for Wii U, which I don't even own (yet), when they're cheap. Halp meh!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

sethnintendo said:
zippy said:
Hi I'm Zippy, I also have backlog issues. I will get around to trimming it down, but I just cant seem to put Xenoblade Chronicles X down. I have Fallout 4, The Witcher, Mad Max, Just Cause 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition yet to be played, games are huge these days and need you full emersion.

Looks like you are doing a lot better than me.  I'd almost be embarrassed to list off all my unplayed / unfinished games.  Plus, I think it would take me about 20 mins to gather such a list up.  Right now I am focusing on Bully: Scholarship Edition (Steam), Mario Tennis (GBC VC), Retro City Rampage (3DS) and I suppose I might as well focus on finishing New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U).

Weird is that I had zero problems beating all the other NSMB games (DS, Wii, 3DS).  Seems like the NSMBU is a little more difficult (not saying much especially the easy breazy 3DS version) than other iterations of the series.  Perhaps, I'm just a little burned out on NSMB series that I never focused my strength on finishing the Wii U version.

Yes NSMBU is the toughest game in the series Seth, also the best but a shame people were probably burnt out on the series to fully appreciate it. Don't forget there is the Luigi U add on too lol.

I'm max. I have a ton of games to play, and I'm totally fine with it.

I'm like having a big backlog of games that I can browse through and strat to play whenever I want.

Hi, I'm Mummelmann and I have a backlog problem. My Steam backlog alone is around 150 games, with another 55 or so on GOG, not to mention by 200+ titles for PC on disc. And then there are the 50 or so PS2 titles I never finished and 12-15 PS3 titles as well.
In short; my life is a hell.

Mummelmann said:
Hi, I'm Mummelmann and I have a backlog problem. My Steam backlog alone is around 150 games, with another 55 or so on GOG, not to mention by 200+ titles for PC on disc. And then there are the 50 or so PS2 titles I never finished and 12-15 PS3 titles as well.
In short; my life is a hell.

150 backlogged Steam games!  You need to sit a few summer and winter sales out.