By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Pokemon surpassed Mario?

Is Pokemon Nintendo's no. 1 now?

Yes 105 46.88%

No 95 42.41%

See Results 24 10.71%

Total:224

That was a pretty damn good performance!

Around the Network

Mario is, like, 16 years older than Pokemon. It doesn't even feel comparable to me. They're from two different generations.

So I did a little more sales research thanks to VGC, to further compare Mario and Pokemon.
*I only did the handhelds because if I included consoles as well, that just wouldn't be fair to Pokemon since there are no mainline Pokemon games on Nintendo consoles.
So it looks like this:
3DS: Mario - 42.70 Million Pokemon - 28.33 Million (This of course does not include Sun/Moon for obvious reasons)
DS:  Mario - 92.14 Million Pokemon - 78.73 Million
GBA: Mario - 33.34 Million  Pokemon - 38.12 Million
GB/GBC Mario - 47.03 Million Pokemon - 85.40 Million (PokeMania I)

Total: Mario - 215.21  Pokemon - 230.58 

So it is true that Pokemon reigns supreme on handhelds, ioverall, but iit's a little closer than some of us might think. 
It absolutely destroyed Mario on the original GameBoy, Mario closed the gap considerably during the GBA life cycle and he eventually took over on the DS and currently holds the lead on the 3DS... for now... 

Kai_Mao said:
Zappykins said:
Yea, like 20 years ago. Everyone knows Pokimon - people at work that ever play any of the games have collections of the toys at their office. It has how many more movies than Mario?

Mario is big for Nintendo gamers, but Pokimon is bigger because it has a more broad appeal.

You could also say the same for Mario. There are figures that people can buy that are Mario related. Heck, here's this as an example of Mario's influence outside of games (the third time I posted this): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfpkrOZRuk. 

You should say it, and cute props on the set, but doesn't make it true.

He is just a plumber with a big nose.  It's nothing compaired to a world of cute little monsters - everyone gets to pic their favorite.

To the general public, at least in the states, Pokimon is 'that thing with pikachu'  while mario 'is just some kids game.' 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Well.
I think the Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games had a thing or two to say about this topic! :P
http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/21/12580456/watch-mario-olympics-japan-tokyo-prime-minster