By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Pokemon surpassed Mario?

Is Pokemon Nintendo's no. 1 now?

Yes 105 46.88%

No 95 42.41%

See Results 24 10.71%

Total:224

Mario franchise lifetime sales according to VGC are listed at 558.40 million
Pokemon franchise lifetime sales are listed at 248.82.
Although Mario is 11 years older than Pokemon, although I subtracted sales from all Mario games from 1995 to prior and Mario sales from 1996 to present accumulated to 399.36 Million to Pokemon's number. 
So upon this glance, the answer should be an obvious no. However, given the absolute craze and gargantuan success of Pokemon GO, the Pokemon brand, in terms of popularity, recognition, etc. is currently at an all-time high! It's a worldwide phenomenon once again! And Nintendo's stocks are reflecting it! And I personally think that no other franchise for Nintendo, not even Mario, could have been capable of this on mobile devices! That's not to say they won't be successful there, because they most certainly will if Nintendo puts in the right effort and management. But I honestly don't think that any of their other properties could be capable of THIS! Only Pokemon! 

So I'm not going to say that it has, or that it hasn't. But I ask you guys?
In your opinion, with all the types of hype, height, popularity, and all kinds of levels of them that Pokemon has reached now thanks to GO, has Pokemon surpassed Mario as Nintendo's no. 1 franchise?

Around the Network

Pokémon is bigger than Mario since A LOT.

And is not even close.

In a near future i imagine those should be the bigger Nintendo series (in term of success, not overall sales):

1) Pokémon

2) Splatoon

3) Mario

4) Smash Bros

5) Animal Crossing

Pokemon surpassed Mario 20 years ago.

Well, I don't know about Splatoon surpassing Mario. It's had one game, and while it was incredibly successful, (not to mention a lot of fun :)), it's not Super Mario Bros. or Pokemon Gen 1, where every single person on the street, whether they play games or not, know what it is or has heard of it.
Let's wait and see on that one. 

it's always a temporal thing, pokemon surpassed mario, then mario surpassed pokemon, then pokemon again.

Around the Network

Kind of like Goku and Vegeta in Dragon Ball. But yeah, I see what you mean.

PAOerfulone said:

Kind of like Goku and Vegeta in Dragon Ball. But yeah, I see what you mean.

yeah, after super mario 64, Pokemon was the biggest thing, after new super mario bros wii and mario kart wii, mario was the biggest thing again, now, Pokemon is the biggest thing again. So mario will need to surprise the world again.

In terms of sales and even well known, I doubt any of Nintendo's other franchises can ever pass Mario. He's in just about every genre and his main line games are always some of the best gaming has to offer. Don't get me wrong, Pokémon is great but let's not get ahead of ourselves just because of a mobile game and start trying to dethrone the face of Nintendo. The sales and amount of games he's in year in and year out speak for themselves.

Well, that'll be easier said than done. The best idea I can think of for a Mario app that can catch a lot of momentum is an endless Mario 1 runner, but we'll see.

Very true and a valid point. Besides mobile, Mario has just about done everything there is to do in gaming, and has done it with critical acclaim and financial success.