By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Attack in Nice, France during Bastille Day. 78 killed, hundreds wounded.

Mr Puggsly said:
setsunatenshi said:
killing yourself and dozens on behalf of a fantasy that there is some sky daddy looking down and judging every aspect of these ape's lives.

it's a dangerous world to live when billions share the same type of delusion...

Maybe billions believe in a "sky daddy," but billions aren't extremist.

Either way, I'm curious to see when the world gets serious about eliminating terrorism.

i'm so happy most of those people are just crazy, not crazy and pro active. i feel so much better knowing that.

whenever we add to several other factors (low social status, few opportunities to succeed in life, feeling of exclusion, etc) and fuel that with the notion that this life is not really that important, that it's just a test for sky daddy to let you in the other, real awesome life, there's no surprise why some people would feel emboldened to act the way they do.

simply put, the so called extremist are the ones who actually believe that shit. but it's the moderates that feed that belief since that person was born, lying about the nature of reality.

at the end of the day, I can't understand why actualy believers in these religions would even be sad about these events. according to them there's some heaven they will get to hang out anyway and will be so much better than the earth we all share, right?

hopefully they'll leave me and everyone like me out of their fantasies

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
setsunatenshi said:
killing yourself and dozens on behalf of a fantasy that there is some sky daddy looking down and judging every aspect of these ape's lives.

Just shows that despite this belief that we're so sophisticated, mankind is still mentally in it's infancy.  Still beliving in the ideas we thought up thousands of years ago to explain everything because we couldn't understand how the universe actually works.

If you’re trying to sound superior the least you two could do is not expose your ignorance in the same sentence.  Even know we don't now how the universe works and it is amazing how little people know about theology and God.  Why bother ridiculing something you don't even understand is it because you are insecure?  It would make sense if you were with what you believe, but why bother even trying to criticize a murderous psychopath when his life and the lives of those he killed mean nothing, at least that is what you believe in right; nothing.  

If not feel free to type out a proof of how life has meaning for an atheist without using any of your pitiful emotions.  You can start by explaining how it would matter if tomorrow an extraterrestrial collision destroyed the entire earth and all the life on it and why would that matter and who would care.  Of course why bother meaning is subjective and everything you say could be easily dismissed because it is only a human point of view that life has meaning, so it is cute if you still believe in meaning without any way to prove it and try to make fun of other people for something similar despite being ignorant on the subject.

Of course people are thick headed it is hard enough to change people’s minds in person in text it is almost impossible. Why do I bother I would try harder to be nicer in person, but you’re not going to listen.  I could go into a whole diatribe on how even a long time Christian authors believed that God lives outside space and time, but I don't believe you are curious enough to look in to such things and you don't even know that much about science if you don't know how woefully inadequate our current picture of the universe still. So it would just be a waste of time for me to reply to you more I just hope that in the future you will try and learn more before spouting nonsense.

Lawlight said:
Puppyroach said:
Horrific attack and it only goes to show how Europe needs to work better with Islamic nations to counter terrorism. And ANYONE should be as horrified by this as they are by the guy who shot policemen in the US recently, but it seems some people only want to do something when a muslim commits a terrorist act (if that is the case here).

Maybe because this is a world problem as opposed to a US problem.

A person commuting a terrorist act by murdering police officers is as much of a world problem as a terrorist murdering civilians in Nice.

LipeJJ said:
MoHasanie said:

I wouldn't cancel my plans just cause of this attack. The chances of you dying in one are very low. In fact, you could probably get a good discount now on a holiday to France or an even better deal  would be a trip to Turkey. 

Eh, I'm still polishing my French, I can't wait till next year. Hopefully things get better.

And the problem is not only the chances of dying on such attacks... I know they are low. But a traumatized population + a police on alert + my last name being arabic = recipe for a tragedy. I won't risk it anytime soon. 

Yeah, the French are probably the most unfriendly people I've met, so you don't want to go if you're French isn't good! 

I agree with what your saying though. My name is Mohammed so I'm always worried I'll get pulled aside for questioning or something especially at airports. Luckily nothing has happened yet and I do a lot of travelling. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

TheLight said:
IkePoR said:

Just shows that despite this belief that we're so sophisticated, mankind is still mentally in it's infancy.  Still beliving in the ideas we thought up thousands of years ago to explain everything because we couldn't understand how the universe actually works.

If you’re trying to sound superior the least you two could do is not expose your ignorance in the same sentence.  Even know we don't now how the universe works and it is amazing how little people know about theology and God.  Why bother ridiculing something you don't even understand is it because you are insecure?  It would make sense if you were with what you believe, but why bother even trying to criticize a murderous psychopath when his life and the lives of those he killed mean nothing, at least that is what you believe in right; nothing.  

If not feel free to type out a proof of how life has meaning for an atheist without using any of your pitiful emotions.  You can start by explaining how it would matter if tomorrow an extraterrestrial collision destroyed the entire earth and all the life on it and why would that matter and who would care.  Of course why bother meaning is subjective and everything you say could be easily dismissed because it is only a human point of view that life has meaning, so it is cute if you still believe in meaning without any way to prove it and try to make fun of other people for something similar despite being ignorant on the subject.

Of course people are thick headed it is hard enough to change people’s minds in person in text it is almost impossible. Why do I bother I would try harder to be nicer in person, but you’re not going to listen.  I could go into a whole diatribe on how even a long time Christian authors believed that God lives outside space and time, but I don't believe you are curious enough to look in to such things and you don't even know that much about science if you don't know how woefully inadequate our current picture of the universe still. So it would just be a waste of time for me to reply to you more I just hope that in the future you will try and learn more before spouting nonsense.

Why should we learn more?

Would you let a Middle Eastern goat herder from the 1st century repair your car? Or perform dental surgery on you? Or fly an airplane? No? Then why would take their word for understanding the functional workings of the universe?

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
setsunatenshi said:

I very much enjoy being called an idiot on a daily basis online for believing in a god.

Barkley said:
IkePoR said:

I very much enjoy being called an idiot on a daily basis online for believing in a god.

Well that's a lot better than being an athiest in a muslim country which often results in death, torture, inprisonment, persecution or even put in mental asylums.

There are lots of reasons that cause people to be religious anyway and stupidity is only one of them. The most common is the culture you are brought up in. I broke away from my christian upbringing when I was 13 approx when I realised it was complete nonsense and had no connection with reality but in my environment it was completely safe to do so which is not the case in many parts of the world where to be safe you still have to pretend to believe.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families and friends.

Beautiful city, Nice.

So sad...

bonzobanana said:
Barkley said:

Well that's a lot better than being an athiest in a muslim country which often results in death, torture, inprisonment, persecution or even put in mental asylums.

There are lots of reasons that cause people to be religious anyway and stupidity is only one of them. The most common is the culture you are brought up in. I broke away from my christian upbringing when I was 13 approx when I realised it was complete nonsense and had no connection with reality but in my environment it was completely safe to do so which is not the case in many parts of the world where to be safe you still have to pretend to believe.

"What you believe in is complete nonesense actually." I have no desire to take part in religious discussion online, but I also do not want to be mocked for my beliefs unprovoked. As for your first statement, however atrocious an offence is does not make a much lighter offence any better. Atheists want religious people to "Keep it to themselves." Well please extend the same courtesy. 

I'm just glad that the police shot him before he could cause more damage. I heard reports of guns and grenades in the vehicle which I'm surprised he didn't start using while in process of mowing people down. Perhaps instead of bombs we should just drop a bunch of opium laced cigarettes on the Middle East and see if that chills them out.