By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399
Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wii U is failing in every way and basically without any 3rd party, NX will definitely have stronger 3rd party support.

Regardless 3DS 3rd party, Monster Hunter says hi. :)

Iam pretty sure Nintendo making more than $20-30 of profit for every sold unit of hardware, also you realise that Nintendo selling tons for addons for their hardware and they have huge profit margin for them, for instance Nintendo sold minimum 100m Wii Remotes with price of $50, and cost price of Wii Remote was $10-15, do the math.

$20-$30 take home is pretty standard actually for the hardware itself probably a bit generous for consoles to be honest. The Wii was a massive outlier (outdated hardware that Nintendo could mark up massively thanks to a controller gimmick), Wii U is more of a standard take home. 

Yamauchi himself often used to famously say the hardware is just something that's basically in the way, they want to sell games because that's where they make money. 

The success of Pokemon Go is a game changer though, if the plan was to kinda just make a few Nintendo apps that are just kinda small time side-story type things, I think that's been blown out of the water. They now have to take mobile very seriously and it may well be their no.1 profit driver in the future. 

Dedicated handhelds are declining (because that audience has been eroded away by mobile) and the console market has changed so much that Nintendo's style of console doesn't really fit where that market is today (violent shooting games with realistic graphics and sports sims dominate the market). 

Nintendo always making profit on hardware (actually Wii U was first console with they had small loss at launch), IMO they always targeting about $50 clear profit per unit not $20-30. And you totally ignoring profit they making from addons for their hardware, that actually is huge.

Nintendo taking money whenever they can not only on software, especially this gen, hardware, software, Amiibos, toys, mobile games, themed parks, movies...so its very obvious they expanding their company and their business to different markets, they will definitely not abandon everything else and just be focused on software, that includes hardware market also.

Pokemon Go doesn't change anything for Nintendo really, because they already have plan entering mobile market, and plan is to release 5 internally developed games buy 31. March 2017, after that we will definitely see more Nintendo mobile games. Those games are specifically games designed for mobile platforms,that is one reason more why Nintendo will not not abonde they dedicated platforms, because are quite different.

Console market and espacily handheld market changed, but that doesnt mean Nintendo will abonde hardware market because those changes, they will change approach also, they saying NX is something totally new and different. Unified platform we talked about several times before easily could be success for Nintendo, in that way Nintendo could earn equal or more money like before but with less resources and investments for instance.

Point is that Nintendo can have they dedicated hardware platform and strong mobile presence in same time, with Amiibos, toys, themed parks, movies...and thats best way to go and that exatly Nintendo is doing.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

$20-$30 take home is pretty standard actually for the hardware itself probably a bit generous for consoles to be honest. The Wii was a massive outlier (outdated hardware that Nintendo could mark up massively thanks to a controller gimmick), Wii U is more of a standard take home. 

Yamauchi himself often used to famously say the hardware is just something that's basically in the way, they want to sell games because that's where they make money. 

The success of Pokemon Go is a game changer though, if the plan was to kinda just make a few Nintendo apps that are just kinda small time side-story type things, I think that's been blown out of the water. They now have to take mobile very seriously and it may well be their no.1 profit driver in the future. 

Dedicated handhelds are declining (because that audience has been eroded away by mobile) and the console market has changed so much that Nintendo's style of console doesn't really fit where that market is today (violent shooting games with realistic graphics and sports sims dominate the market). 

Nintendo always making profit on hardware (actually Wii U was first console with they had small loss at launch), IMO they always targeting about $50 clear profit per unit not $20-30. And you totally ignoring profit they making from addons for their hardware, that actually is huge.

Nintendo taking money whenever they can not only on software, especially this gen, hardware, software, Amiibos, toys, mobile games, themed parks, movies...so its very obvious they expanding their company and their business to different markets, they will definitely not abandon everything else and just be focused on software, that includes hardware market also.

Pokemon Go doesn't change anything for Nintendo really, because they already have plan entering mobile market, and plan is to release 5 internally developed games buy 31. March 2017, after that we will definitely see more Nintendo mobile games. Those games are specifically games designed for mobile platforms,that is one reason more why Nintendo will not not abonde they dedicated platforms, because are quite different.

Console market and espacily handheld market changed, but that doesnt mean Nintendo will abonde hardware market because those changes, they will change approach also, they saying NX is something totally new and different. Unified platform we talked about several times before easily could be success for Nintendo, in that way Nintendo could earn equal or more money like before but with less resources and investments for instance.

Point is that Nintendo can have they dedicated hardware platform and strong mobile presence in same time, with Amiibos, toys, themed parks, movies...and thats best way to go and that exatly Nintendo is doing.

I think Pokemon Go is a watershed/stunning moment for Nintendo.

Definitely now they have to look at seriously at whole host of possibilities that maybe they weren't thinking about before. 

Mario Kart iOS/Android? Do you leave $1 billion+ sitting on the table or is it time to start considering that? You have to start taking a lot of things more seriously.

Animal Crossing Mobile likely just became their most important game in development from a business POV too ... I'm guessing they are probably scrambling to make sure that is an app worthy of that brand because it could become a huge money maker for them. This idea that mobile would just be this little supplemental revenue stream for them has been completely flipped on its head (though I predicted this, I didn't forsee it happening so quickly). 

The success in mobile is most definitely a game changer, I think even Nintendo themselves is probably stunned at Pokemon Go. I think they were expecting something bigger than Miitomo, but the biggest mobile game since Candy Crush? A bigger than Minecraft sized potential megahit? The biggest gaming story of the year? That is shocking. 

It calls into question a whole bunch of things though, namely has Nintendo held back the potential of their IP by hiding them away on their propietary platforms? 

NX will proceed, but it probably now has a much shorter leash, if it isn't successful fairly quickly, Nintendo has this huge goldmine that they're sitting on that they will have no choice but to exploit moreso going forward. 

Pokemon Go is the biggest thing to happen to Nintendo in a decade. This is the mainstream breakout hit they've been dying for, the fact that it comes on a non-Nintendo hardware platform(s) has serious implications though. 

Stop making consoles is like loose his liberty, depend of iOS Android and Windows is like loose possibility of chooses...
Make a propriatary OS is best way, Iwata explained it in 2014, they need to make software and hardware like Apple, i think they would make a family of products like i-thing..
We don't speak only about money, there is politic and Strategy for futur.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think Pokemon Go is a watershed/stunning moment for Nintendo.

Definitely now they have to look at seriously at whole host of possibilities that maybe they weren't thinking about before. 

Mario Kart iOS/Android? Do you leave $1 billion+ sitting on the table or is it time to start considering that? You have to start taking a lot of things more seriously.

Animal Crossing Mobile likely just became their most important game in development from a business POV too ... I'm guessing they are probably scrambling to make sure that is an app worthy of that brand because it could become a huge money maker for them. This idea that mobile would just be this little supplemental revenue stream for them has been completely flipped on its head (though I predicted this, I didn't forsee it happening so quickly). 

The success in mobile is most definitely a game changer, I think even Nintendo themselves is probably stunned at Pokemon Go. I think they were expecting something bigger than Miitomo, but the biggest mobile game since Candy Crush? A bigger than Minecraft sized potential megahit? The biggest gaming story of the year? That is shocking. 

It calls into question a whole bunch of things though, namely has Nintendo held back the potential of their IP by hiding them away on their propietary platforms? 

NX will proceed, but it probably now has a much shorter leash, if it isn't successful fairly quickly, Nintendo has this huge goldmine that they're sitting on that they will have no choice but to exploit moreso going forward. 

Pokemon Go is the biggest thing to happen to Nintendo in a decade. This is the mainstream breakout hit they've been dying for, the fact that it comes on a non-Nintendo hardware platform(s) has serious implications though. 

Pokemon Go is so popular because concept of game that suits perfectly to mobile platforms, you will hardly achieve something like that on mobile platforms with Mario Kart. Animal Crossing could also suit great to mobile platforms, but IPs like Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Splatoon...not merely because you can only have real and full exparanice on dedicated gaming platform for those games.

Pokemon Go will effect that Nintenodo push a little more their mobile effort, they will definitely not abonde dedicated gaming platform only because Pokemon Go success, Like I wrote, nothing will change alredy good strategie they made, like I wrote, point is that Nintendo can have they dedicated hardware platform and strong mobile presence in same time, with Amiibos, toys, themed parks, movies...and thats best way to go and that exatly Nintendo is doing. 

Nintendo is multi billion company with long history, they will definitely not change their strategy so easy just because current success of one mobile game. Pokemon Go is maybe current goldmine, but what will be in year, two, 5 years from now, if will still be gold mine, why would they close itself possibilities of choices and opportunities for hardware and console gaming just because current success of one mobile game when they dedicated platform still make profit even when they have basically the worst generation. And Nintendo is company that like to have possibilities and full control, they will definitely not become only software company, they expanding their business to toys, mobile games, themed parks, movies...they want to be more like Disney or Apple, they definitely not aiming to be just onother 3rd party.

Akeos said:
Stop making consoles is like loose his liberty, depend of iOS Android and Windows is like loose possibility of chooses... 
Make a propriatary OS is best way, Iwata explained it in 2014, they need to make software and hardware like Apple, i think they would make a family of products like i-thing.. 
We don't speak only about money, there is politic and Strategy for futur.

Great post, here some people thinking only on short and fast profit and because that they saying that Nintendo basically will be only software company, and offcourse Nintendo will not do that, Nintendo is company that like to have full control of their business and to always have lost possibilities of choices and opportunities opened for them.

Cloudman said:
oniyide said:

it was 3 bad consoles. 4 if we are counting virtual boy. Experimentaion is 50/50 dont ignore Wii U thats what happens when it doesnt work. And it is far more likely to not work. What can Ninty make that is equilavent to Wii? The other two can put out basic systems with no gimmick hook and sell just as well and sometimes better. Ninty doesnt seem to have that luxury. IMHO it seems most gamers simply dont want a Ninty console at least not in large numbers they are almost niche at this point.

What other consoles were bad? I just meant the Wii U and Virtual Boy. As far as I can remember, all of their consoles have been good ones. As to what Nintendo can do that would be equilavent to the Wii, well I don't know. Nintendo works to find new those new ideas that work. People don't know what they want until they are presented it. No one was expecting the Wii to be a success, and maybe they'll make something else that people will really like. We won't know until the next big thing releases.

Really though I think people would be already with a Ninten console if it's a good console with games they want.

Sales wise you can add N64 and GC to that list, although i liked both systems personally and owned them at some point. What do you think its more likely that they make another Wii like success or they dont? Looking at the past couple of console generations im going with not. I hope i am wrong for there sakes.

If thats really the case what happened with GC and Wii U?

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
oniyide said:
people keep bringing up royalties. that only works if 3rd party games are actual on the system to collect royalties, somethign that isnt the case for Wii U. 3ds does better but its not like those 3rd party games are flying off the shelves

Wii U is failing in every way and basically without any 3rd party, NX will definitely have stronger 3rd party support.

You sure about NX? cause Ubi seems to be giving it Just Dance and thats just about it. And remember those games actually have to sell. Something that didnt happen in the brief moment that Wii U was getting 3rd party support. I hope the NX is a better situation.

One game. That really only does well in Japan. Wow!

AbbathTheGrim said:
Ck1x said:

This thread is completely pointless then, because Nintendo still makes console quality games and even the 3ds has very good full size games on it. Why on earth would they just give that market up? They can do mobile and still have a handheld or some hybrid device that does both. But it would be stupid for Nintendo to give up that market and think that their games would sell on Xbox and Playstation. 3rd party companies are already suffering from their titles not selling enough on 2 consoles, why would Nintendo throw their names into that hat.

Once again most Sony and Microsoft fans consider the games that Nintendo makes as kiddie bull shit, so what difference would that change if it was all of a sudden available on their console of choice. The mindset will still be the same on the kind of games that Nintendo makes! The numbers just aren't there to support this crazy theory of a 3rd party Nintendo on consoles. If Sony and Microsoft's exclusive games sold better, I would maybe agree that there's a market for titles other than the normal which already saturates those consoles completely...

You don't have much faith on Nintendo titles I see. Not all third party companies do great, but there are those that sell a shit-ton of copies of their games.

You read some comments on the internet that mock Nintendo about being kiddie and you translate that to the whole Sony and Micro camp thinking the same like a bunch of robots. Not everyone that owns a PS or Xbox thinks like that. PS and Micro have the majority of console sales, real loyal Nintendo fans would buy the software and at the same time, Nintendo has a chance to sale copies of their popular titles on bigger user bases.

To say that Nintendo titles would enter a saturated market means that Nintendo already has companies that give the same experience they offer in PS and Xbox.

It has nothing to do with having faith or not in Nintendo titles, I am going buy facts of what gamers of those systems buy in bulk and it's nothing similar to Nintendo style games! Those games that you say sell a shit-ton are very similar in content to each other and once again nothing like Nintendo games. 

If you think that Zelda on Playstation would sell just as well as Uncharted, then we'll just agree to disagree right now and move on. You would be in the minority of Xbox gamers or Playstation gamers that don't believe Nintendo games are kiddie or outdated. I've been around for quite some time and have seen this mentioned not only on blogs, on YouTube, in person at gaming stores, it doesn'tmatter I can go on and on... 

Even this year's e3 Nintendo showcased a very impressive Zelda, but I saw lots of people thinking that everyone else got robbed. Lol

So to sum all of this up Nintendo keep using mobile to support your dedicated games division and everyone else wishing to play Nintendo games on Playstation and Xbox, tell Sony and Microsoft to make better games... See everyone wins

oniyide said:
Miyamotoo said:

You sure about NX? cause Ubi seems to be giving it Just Dance and thats just about it. And remember those games actually have to sell. Something that didnt happen in the brief moment that Wii U was getting 3rd party support. I hope the NX is a better situation.

One game. That really only does well in Japan. Wow!

Of Course I am sure, Wii U doesn't have 3rd party at all, NX will definitely have some. Its all still under strict NDA, only Ubi somehow unannounced one game till now and Nintendo also unlaced only one game till now.

Actually we have several Monster Hunter 3DS games, and of course it not only one 3rd party IP, there are more but MH is far strongest.

oniyide said:
Cloudman said:

What other consoles were bad? I just meant the Wii U and Virtual Boy. As far as I can remember, all of their consoles have been good ones. As to what Nintendo can do that would be equilavent to the Wii, well I don't know. Nintendo works to find new those new ideas that work. People don't know what they want until they are presented it. No one was expecting the Wii to be a success, and maybe they'll make something else that people will really like. We won't know until the next big thing releases.

Really though I think people would be already with a Ninten console if it's a good console with games they want.

Sales wise you can add N64 and GC to that list, although i liked both systems personally and owned them at some point. What do you think its more likely that they make another Wii like success or they dont? Looking at the past couple of console generations im going with not. I hope i am wrong for there sakes.

If thats really the case what happened with GC and Wii U?

Sales wise they didn't do so well, but does that make them bad consoles? Absolutely not. N64 and GC were really great consoles with excellent games. They just didn't sell great is all. Honest now, the only bad consoles I can think now from Ninten is just the Virtual Boy and the E Card Reader. Those were just bad devices that didn't work well and were just not fun.

Finding another success like the Wii is not going to be easy, but there is always that chance that they could, so there is that.

The Wii U is easy to answer. It was an idea that just didn't work and the general audience didn't like it, or even knew it existed. As for the GC, not sure why that did poorly. I guess people vastly prefered the PS2 over the GC.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Well Pokemon Go probably answers that question. If Nintendo released all the Pokemon games up to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald on mobile, these games would very likely fill up the top 10 list of most sold games in both iOS and Android marketplaces.