By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Ronaldo has surpassed Messi today

Winning sugarcoats many things. Ronaldo didn't drag his team, his defence did. Portugal won once in 90 min the whole tournament. They weren't great, had an easy run to the final with Wales being their biggest threat.

Gignac scores that in the 92nd minute and rhetoric changes

Around the Network

Congrats Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo!!!
It was the first time ever I suported Cristiano Ronaldo because I really hate France... Eder <3

EDER HIMSELF ADMITS HE SCORED BECAUSE RONALDO TOLD HIM TOO!

And these were no empty gestures, according to his team-mates. Already in the early hours of Sunday, this was being recorded as Ronaldo’s doing. "[Ronaldo] told me I would score the winning goal for the team," said Eder. "He gave me this strength, this energy and it was vital.”

So him being out in the finals is no excuse anmymore. He signle handedly willed that team to victory, both as player and as manager, coach and motivator int he finals.

Eurosport.com has called the trophy his "Maradona moment". He's entered a new tier.

AZWification said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Salty much ?

xD

Haha. Are you saying that it isn't luck when the team that finished 3rd in the weakest group wins the damn tournament? 

It's called a will to win. They were down but Ronaldo found the will and determination to drag these group of chokers to the finals. The opposite of luck.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Finishing 3rd in their group, and then winning a game in full time only once?

Yeah Portugal were fantastic..

They won, thats what matters.

EDER HIMSELF ADMITS HE SCORED BECAUSE RONALDO TOLD HIM TOO!

And these were no empty gestures, according to his team-mates. Already in the early hours of Sunday, this was being recorded as Ronaldo’s doing. "[Ronaldo] told me I would score the winning goal for the team," said Eder. "He gave me this strength, this energy and it was vital.”

So him being out in the finals is no excuse anmymore. He signle handedly willed that team to victory, both as player and as manager, coach and motivator int he finals.

Eurosport.com has called the trophy his "Maradona moment". He's entered a new tier.

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
Winning sugarcoats many things. Ronaldo didn't drag his team, his defence did. Portugal won once in 90 min the whole tournament. They weren't great, had an easy run to the final with Wales being their biggest threat.

Gignac scores that in the 92nd minute and rhetoric changes

lmao, you forget about croatia?

Ashadian said:
contestgamer said:

He has achieved the second greatest prize in all football, winning the Euro in an absolute dominant individual fashion. Messi is a system player, Ronaldo is an individual that can drag any team with him. What Messi couldnt achieve with the highest ranked national football team in the world Ronaldo did with a team that most consider mediocre at best. History was made.

Yeah he didnt play in the finals, but he dragged his team there and his leadership was the inspiration his team needed to pull out that final win.

I was just waiting for a pathetic thread like this to pop up. Ronaldo will never be better than Messi. This was one of the worst teams to win a Trophy. It happens. Ronaldo was poor in this tournament.  Very poor. Not even in the top 5 players at Euros. Messi was best player at the Copa. 4 finals shows that he's taking Argentina to the brink. 

Ronaldo is all about personal glory. Messi is a team player.  2 years younger than Ronaldo and already achieved far more.

Messi has better stats. He scores and creates better goals. Better goals to shots ratio. Better freekick taker. Better dribbler, more assists and more silverware. 

The only people who think Ronaldo is better than Messi are Portuguese, Real and Man United fans. 

" This was one of the worst teams to win a Trophy." EXACTLY. Ronaldo dragged this team of nobodies to a championship.

"Messi was best player at the Copa. 4 finals shows that he's taking Argentina to the brink" No, it showed that he's capable of an unprecedented 4 straight choke streak in the biggest stages of the game. It's better to lose early than lose in the finals - once you're in the finals with the #1 ranked team in the world and you lose it falls on your superstar to take the blame. And he personally choked most of those away. 0 goals and 0 assists in all of them, missed penalties to top off the choke streak.

Goatseye said:
RolStoppable said:
I think the day that Ronaldo surpassed Messi was when Messi retired from the Argentinian national team at the age of 29. Ronaldo may cry when he loses in a big game, but he has never been such a sore loser.

It's really strange. For so many years it looked like Messi has much better sportsmanship than Ronaldo, but within a couple of weeks the whole thing got turned upside down.

Portuguese media never witch hunts Ronaldo when they lose. They praised him for their performance in the World Cup.

Messi's always under the microscope for anything that happens with the Argentina national team in the cups. They question his patriotism and at times call him Catalan. Ronaldo doesn't put up with that even though he's more of a drama queen. His mom comes calls out the commentators that question his weak performances.

I wouldn't play for Argentina if I was Messi.

Yeah, because Messi plays in the #1 ranked team on earth and Ronaldo in the 8th. You should be witchunted if you're the so called GOAT and cant EVER close the deal with the #1 ranked team on earth. Ronaldo always makes his country over perform, winning the Euro now and single handedly dragging them to the semi's last time, while Messi consistently underperforms.

contestgamer said:
Ashadian said:

I was just waiting for a pathetic thread like this to pop up. Ronaldo will never be better than Messi. This was one of the worst teams to win a Trophy. It happens. Ronaldo was poor in this tournament.  Very poor. Not even in the top 5 players at Euros. Messi was best player at the Copa. 4 finals shows that he's taking Argentina to the brink. 

Ronaldo is all about personal glory. Messi is a team player.  2 years younger than Ronaldo and already achieved far more.

Messi has better stats. He scores and creates better goals. Better goals to shots ratio. Better freekick taker. Better dribbler, more assists and more silverware. 

The only people who think Ronaldo is better than Messi are Portuguese, Real and Man United fans. 

" This was one of the worst teams to win a Trophy." EXACTLY. Ronaldo dragged this team of nobodies to a championship.

"Messi was best player at the Copa. 4 finals shows that he's taking Argentina to the brink" No, it showed that he's capable of an unprecedented 4 straight choke streak in the biggest stages of the game. It's better to lose early than lose in the finals - once you're in the finals with the #1 ranked team in the world and you lose it falls on your superstar to take the blame. And he personally choked most of those away. 0 goals and 0 assists in all of them, missed penalties to top off the choke streak.

He didn't drag his team. He didn't have a good tournament. Defense did.

And Croatia yes better than Wales and were very very unlucky. Again congrats to him but proves nothing in the greatest ever debate. 

kopstudent89 said:
contestgamer said:

He didn't drag his team. He didn't have a good tournament. Defense did.

And Croatia yes better than Wales and were very very unlucky. Again congrats to him but proves nothing in the greatest ever debate. 

I never said he's the greatest ever, neither him or Messi are. I just said this catapults him above Messi. He dragged this Portugal team on his back, most goals were either his or assisted by him. Even the finals goal he didnt play in was created by him according to Eder:

Portugals defense was good, but Ronaldo is what broke the 0-0 deadlock almost every time, either with passing or with scoring or hitting clutch penalties.