By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: BotW Named "Best of Show" by E3 Game Critics

Agree?

Greatest Game of All Time! 119 85.61%

I hate awesome things. 20 14.39%

Total:139

What's funny is that all of these people bringing up but will it translate into sales only has to look at Splatoon! That was one of the last very hyped up games at e3 for Nintendo to which most thought it would barely sell 2 million because it was on WiiU. The last time people have been this hyped for a Zelda game is probably going back to Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.

Around the Network

I might be in the overwhelming minority, but even if it's the critic's opinion, I disagree. Not saying it's far from the best, but I feel it wasn't the best from the show.

Great for Nintendo and congratulations! Some impressive games at E3, but overall BotW was definitely my pick as well - much deserved.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

to many comments about how great the new zelda is gonna be, i guess its time for me to check out the trailer xD

The many similarities to Skyrim make me worry because the game could have no story at all. Exploration in Skyrim was great but the story, fighting and dungeons were extremely weak and boring.

The key to success for Japanese games is not to copy western games but to combine the best of both worlds, which means that strong storytelling through long cut scenes should not be absent.

Around the Network

Damn the gloating is real! I now know what it must feel like for a Ninty fan in a NPD thread lol.

To be honest I haven't seen much of this. I will have to check it out.

For the Zelda fans, how does this stack up to previous Zelda games?

etking said:
The many similarities to Skyrim make me worry because the game could have no story at all. Exploration in Skyrim was great but the story, fighting and dungeons were extremely weak and boring.

The key to success for Japanese games is not to copy western games but to combine the best of both worlds, which means that strong storytelling through long cut scenes should not be absent.

Well from what we're seeing, the dungeon bit probably isn't worth concern.  They look to be very much Zelda dungeons.  The combat also is miles ahead of Skyrim which while I felt was perfectly sufficient to that specific game, was not very deep and certainly clunky.  As for Story, that's the only part we *don't* know about.  I will say the few cutscenes we've seen are well directed but we've only seen the very first glimpses.  As for the story itself, I'm hopeful but we'll have to wait and see.  Also, for all the similarities to Skyrim, there are many things I've seen that I wish Skyrim had.  Environmental interactions (fire propogation, use of wind, use of updrafts from fires, how wind and fire interact, the use of the runes to traverse the game etc), the ability climbing and other enhanced traversal mechanics.  Not to say all is guaranteed, but what we have seen imo looks promising on those fronts you mentioned.  

Ck1x said:
What's funny is that all of these people bringing up but will it translate into sales only has to look at Splatoon! That was one of the last very hyped up games at e3 for Nintendo to which most thought it would barely sell 2 million because it was on WiiU. The last time people have been this hyped for a Zelda game is probably going back to Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.

Not just only that, but Skyward Sword is worst selling 3D Zelda with around 4m, and we can say that Skyward Sword wasnt game that people hyped much, espacily compared to this Zelda that is basicly one of the most hyped Nintendo game ever. So bare minimum that Zelda BotW will sell is 5m (IMO realisticly we can expect 7-8m), and game itslef will be huge system seller for NX.

etking said:

All we saw in E3 Demos show that everything you do in this Zelda is very fun, even those mini dungeons, not to mention that real dungeon are almost always one best thing of almost evre 3D Zelda (dungeons in last 2 3D Zeldas TP and SS are consider for best dungeons).

Zelda BotW will also have story and quests, but Zelda never really was strong on storytelling (except MM), Zelda focus was always on exploitation and dungeons. IMO you can expect less storytelling and quests than in MM but probably more than we had in evre other 3D Zelda.

Great to see this game so hyped, I hope it can atleast match the Witcher 3 in critic reception.