By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry takes a closer look at Breath of the Wild

Vodacixi said:
shikamaru317 said:
It is pretty impressive on Wii U. Can't wait to see the NX version, hoping for 1080p, 60 fps, and better anti-aliasing at the very least. Hopefully they'll manage to improve a few other things in the NX version as well, such as draw distances or textures.

If Wind Waker and TP remasters didn't have 60fps I doubt the NX version of Breath of the Wild will.

Wasn't that by choice? Zelda is intended to have a more cinematic feel to it. It isn't supposed to be swirling around quickly with action nonstop.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Vodacixi said:

If Wind Waker and TP remasters didn't have 60fps I doubt the NX version of Breath of the Wild will.

Wasn't that by choice? Zelda is intended to have a more cinematic feel to it. It isn't supposed to be swirling around quickly with action nonstop.

No that is never a choice, that was probably because the old engine caused problems at 60fps so they leave it at 30 but with 1080p and still some things like fog in TP can cause frame drops because it was never intended to run at 1080p

It really could pass for a PS4/X1 game. Obviously not a cutting edge one but still...

I wonder whether the NX will be a top tier port with new textures, FX, models etc or just better resolution, AA and FPS.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I have to be consistent here. I don't really care about this stuff when it comes to Xbox and PS games, and I don't really care about it when it comes to Nintendo games. Breath of the Wild could look and perform like Wind Waker for all I care.

But this is good news for our resident tech heads :)

Imagine how many units this game would sell if it were on PS4 and Xbox one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

shikamaru317 said:
Vodacixi said:

I guess it really depends on just how powerful NX is. For instance some of the NX rumors have indicated that it will have a 2500 gflops Polaris 11 GPU, that's 7x more gflops than Wii U's 352, which should be enough to hit 1080p, 60 fps. However, Nintendo could decide to improve other things instead, anti-aliasing, draw distances, textures, lightning, etc., which I would be ok with personally, 30 fps is fine for a 3rd person game like this.

Its not about power of hardware, there is not one single 3D Zelda game that runs at 60fps, Nintendo said that Zelda doesnt need 60 fps like Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, other platformers...so NX version of Zelda almost certainly won't be 60fps also.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I have to be consistent here. I don't really care about this stuff when it comes to Xbox and PS games, and I don't really care about it when it comes to Nintendo games. Breath of the Wild could look and perform like Wind Waker for all I care.

But this is good news for our resident tech heads :)

I don't really either, I mean it's not like I wouldn't buy this game if it didn't have AA, but, better is always good. I do want things to be as good as they can possibly make it!

Azuren said:
I like zelda

I like good games

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Miyamotoo said:
shikamaru317 said:

I guess it really depends on just how powerful NX is. For instance some of the NX rumors have indicated that it will have a 2500 gflops Polaris 11 GPU, that's 7x more gflops than Wii U's 352, which should be enough to hit 1080p, 60 fps. However, Nintendo could decide to improve other things instead, anti-aliasing, draw distances, textures, lightning, etc., which I would be ok with personally, 30 fps is fine for a 3rd person game like this.

Its not about power of hardware, there is not one single 3D Zelda game that runs at 60fps, Nintendo said that Zelda doesnt need 60 fps like Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, other platformers...so NX version of Zelda almost certainly won't be 60fps also.

Actually, A Link Between Worlds runs at 60fps, but they said it's because as a game that relies on 3D effects, it works better in 60fps.

Dulfite said:
Vodacixi said:

It was by choice, but not because of cinematics. Instead Nintendo wanted a locked frame rate. If they could have locked 60, they would have gone for that, but the WW and TP probably fluctuated to much.

Naughty Dog made the same choice for Uncharted 4. 

BOTW is most certainly going to be 30 fps.

as long as the wii u version don't perform like trash, that will be good enough. I'm not going to marvel over the technical achievements since the Xbox one, ps4, and pc all produce better TECHNICAL achievements with smaller budgets and less time. Instead I'm more interested in the gameplay itself.