By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Games Need To Sell 2 Million On Average To Be Profitable

You gotta love Nintendo for the consistent mistranslations lol. It never fails that nobody knows what they actually say lol. That being said, this has to just be the big budget games.

Around the Network

2 million to be a success or 2 million to break even? If it's the first, I don't doubt it, if it's the second, there's probably been a mistake somewhere here.

Keep in mind though that Nintendo is known to pay their developers quite abit above the average pay for game devs in Japan, so it shouldn't be suprising that their budgets are higher than what is normal for Japanese games of similar scale.

You can take average to mean big game in this case.

The last time Nintendo made a comment like this they said most games need to sell 1 million to be profitable (this was before Wii U came out)

outlawauron said:
DivinePaladin said:
You have to consider by "average game" he's surely referring to the big budget titles here. Clearly something like Toad, HW, the Zelda remakes, or Splatoon don't need to kill to perform well. But something like Galaxy or mainline Zelda, with years in the pipeline and large teams, have to sell that, and always do. The only recent one I think would have missed the mark is Xenoblade X. And possibly DKCTF depending on the budget for that one.

Splatoon's budget was huge though. Nintendo has spent so much money on marketing for the game alone, it's probably 2x the amount paid out during development.

Even with a marketing budget that tripled the overall budget Splatoon likely didn't need 2 million. Or perhaps more fittingly put, Nintendo knew before it shelled out for marketing that the game was going to perform well, so it doubled down. Not that that detracts from your point or anything of course. 

Splatoon had such a paltry development budget even after all the extra maps and such are accounted for, people are starting to forget that. Remember this was a game that was claimed to sell as well as W101 because of how little content it had. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Well Nintendo do have problems with HD development so that could explain it.

Around the Network

Not sure what the average Nintendo game is, but I'm pretty sure that's not required for most of their games :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:
Well Nintendo do have problems with HD development so that could explain it.

Not anymore I would say. We're far from 2011 you know :P

Judging by the delays and how long it took to release star Fox Zero I'd say we are as near as ever. 

So in other words its costs Nintendo $140 million to develop and market each game? Ya ok. Just for reference it cost $137 million to develop GTAV.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

This is very hard to believe imo.

Darwinianevolution said:
I don't believe it. If Fire Emblem Awakening needed just above 250.000 units sold to keep the franchise going, then it obviously didn't need to sell 2m. Big games like Zelda and 3D mario of course are going to need bigger amounts (I'm sure Xenoblade X has been finantially unsuccessful, and it will be one of the first titles to be ported to the NX to compensate for that).

Pretty surethey were reffering to console games-  handhelds def cost less to make-  Also re FE i think they needed it to sell 250k in North America so the total number world wide would naturally be larger