By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo NX to support UE4?

Cloudman said:
I'd hope so. It's being used more often this gen, is it not?

UE4 is not being used as much this generation as UE3 was last generation. Which was the dominate engine. It's being used more with mobile and indie games than it is with AAA titles, which is funny since it is an amazing engine when it comes to high end games. The problem is that the consoles today can't really utilize it to its greatest extent. If you remember all the hype with UE4 on the PS4? Well.... nothing game out of it.

Here's a list of the games for UE4 https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games

What is interesting is that Japanese developers are using UE4 more than any western developers. This is odd since they hardly supported U3 and it was the dominate engine that so many western developers were using. The only major AAA title that has been released so far that uses UE3 is Street Fight V and Tekken 7. Asides from Gears of War 4, Eve: Valkyrie, and the canceled Fable Legends. The eastern devs are using it more. Square Enix will heavily be using it going forward and Capcom is going to use it for a few unannounced and up coming games. While I can't find the links. Mark Rein was bragging a few months ago about scoring some major wins with Japanese developers. Mentioning Square Enix, Capcom, and another major, major company that he wouldn't name that will be adopting the engine for their own games. With Sony no longer making a big deal out of the engine and nothing in sights. It's been rumored that it's Nintendo who may be forming a partnership with Epic Games. Which if true, would explain why Mark Rein wouldn't say anything. Which is fucking hilarious since Mark Rein claims to be a Nintendo fan, but hasn't stopped shit talking them since the Wii days. This would be a big win for both Epic Games and Nintendo. I think UE will finally be making a come back. Rather it's with or without Nintendo.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Is this really unexpected in any way?

Unless you think Nintendo are one stupid company.

I don't think they are stupid.... but let's be real here. Where was UE3 support on the Wii and UE4 support on the Wii U. Which hardly had UE3 support even though it was more than powerful enough to handle it.

Airaku said:
Cloudman said:
I'd hope so. It's being used more often this gen, is it not?

UE4 is not being used as much this generation as UE3 was last generation. Which was the dominate engine. It's being used more with mobile and indie games than it is with AAA titles, which is funny since it is an amazing engine when it comes to high end games. The problem is that the consoles today can't really utilize it to its greatest extent. If you remember all the hype with UE4 on the PS4? Well.... nothing game out of it.

Here's a list of the games for UE4 https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games

What is interesting is that Japanese developers are using UE4 more than any western developers. This is odd since they hardly supported U3 and it was the dominate engine that so many western developers were using. The only major AAA title that has been released so far that uses UE3 is Street Fight V and Tekken 7. Asides from Gears of War 4, Eve: Valkyrie, and the canceled Fable Legends. The eastern devs are using it more. Square Enix will heavily be using it going forward and Capcom is going to use it for a few unannounced and up coming games. While I can't find the links. Mark Rein was bragging a few months ago about scoring some major wins with Japanese developers. Mentioning Square Enix, Capcom, and another major, major company that he wouldn't name that will be adopting the engine for their own games. With Sony no longer making a big deal out of the engine and nothing in sights. It's been rumored that it's Nintendo who may be forming a partnership with Epic Games. Which if true, would explain why Mark Rein wouldn't say anything. Which is fucking hilarious since Mark Rein claims to be a Nintendo fan, but hasn't stopped shit talking them since the Wii days. This would be a big win for both Epic Games and Nintendo. I think UE will finally be making a come back. Rather it's with or without Nintendo.

That's right, more Japanese companies are using UE4 than western devs. In that case, I really hope the NX will support UE4. Maybe that'll help Japanese games be ported to the NX.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Of course it will.

The only reason why UE4 never came to the Wii U is the creators didn't want to take the time to optimize the engine for the console but they did say if someone wanted to they were free to do so. And no one did so because there were no benefits in doing so.

Around the Network
Airaku said:
twintail said:
Is this really unexpected in any way?

Unless you think Nintendo are one stupid company.

I don't think they are stupid.... but let's be real here. Where was UE3 support on the Wii and UE4 support on the Wii U. Which hardly had UE3 support even though it was more than powerful enough to handle it.

The Wii and Wii U both had UE3 support, which was the weaker reason given for Unreal not wanting to optimize the UE4 engine for the Wii U, though as I commented in the above post, they said if a developer wanted to optimize UE4 for it they were free to do so. It isn't the console manufacture that optimizes UE to the console but Unreal itself. And the predominate reason why they decided not to support the Wii U when they were supporting devices that were "weaker" is Nintendo choice to modify a CPU series that had been long retired by IBM and optimizing UE4 for it had no other uses for it outside of Nintendo's device so it didn't make business sence to do the work themselves. They never claimed the device was too weak to use UE4.

So I guess this means for this console they have UE4 support which means the two major engines are supporting Nintendo's next device. Which means a repeat of the problems that ultimatly hung the Wii U seems unlikely.

sundin13 said:
Bloodstained uses UE4 and is coming to Wii U so I don't think "support for an engine" is really a huge deal.

Mighty Nr.9 uses UE3, if I remember correctly, and is a disaster for it because the engine doesn't properly support WiiU. (And I mean 'disaster' from a purely technical standpoint, regardless of how bad the game is anyways. It actually managed to brick WiiUs after launch)

That's a given.

What's more interesting is seeing what devices UE5 will be possible on.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
That's a given.

What's more interesting is seeing what devices UE5 will be possible on.

The thing is they don't bring the engine out to what it is possible on. They bring it out on what makes the most sense to spend their time and money on optimizing it for. If the NX does well it would matter if they are running it on a dorrito chip, though it would have to be an unretired dorrito chip, it will have the support of that engine. It was possible for them to make UE4 for the Wii U but they choose not to because it didn't make business sense, but they did say that if a developer wanted to take time to optimize the engine for the platform they would be able to do so. In fact a few posts up Bloodstained is coming to the Wii U and it was made to run with UE4

One would bloody well hope UE4 supports NX. Its the main third party engine this gen.