By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Nintendo Waiting to Reveal NX Because of "Idea"

I just hope its a hand held and console that use the same carts. The console obviously able to give better visuals and frame rate but same game none the less.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
DonFerrari said:

If MS couldn't pull cloud, I doubt Nintendo will be able. They barely have a network compatible with PSN and even less Live.

As far as I know, Microsoft was still going for traditional cloud tech relying on a massive server farm where the loss of electricity over distance is a crippling factor.  With Nintendo's SCD, it's like breaking the server farm up and spreading it out to where people with poor connections can link up to others with better connections.  So it's a different way of going about cloud processing.  Whether or not Nintendo can pull it off remains to be seen.

If your internet connection is still limited, how would this even help?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
MrCkurab said:

Fresh from Nintendo’s 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders:

1. NX still coming March 2017, no delay as of yet.
  2. NX most definitely no VR, there were several questions about VR, they said again that they are watching & experimenting for now.
  3. Miyamoto said: "Normally we would’ve shown the #NX at #E3, but we didn’t. We’re worried about imitators if we release info too early."

Just as they implied earlier, there is some big special idea in the NX and after having everything they did in the last generations copied imediatly Nintendo is tired of that shit.
I'm just hoping its truly a good idea and not just some damn gimmick nobody wants.
Let's hope they thought it through and learned the right lessons.

source

The copy of Wii Mote wasn't that fast and wasn't the cause of their late struggles with Wii, and by reverse engineering of HW if MS or Sony really want to copy they wouldn't take long, Kinect and Move used very different approaches for motion control and infact were a lot better, but didn't had the same strenght. Patent can't be copied, they are worried about the concept.

I think Nintendo is probably more worried about Sony or MS actually beating Nintendo to market with their own cloned version of Nintendo's concept if they reveal it too early.  Once Nintendo is in the market, clones can come and go but it will be really clear to people who the original is. 

It definitely sounds like Nintendo is trying some simple innovative concept with the NX same as with the Wii (hence the secrecy since it is probably very easy to copy once revealed).  Also, by not getting market reaction to the NX's new concept they are either insanely confident that the NX will be huge or they are just taking a huge risk because they believe this is their only shot.  If the NX's concept turns out to be unpopular, Nintendo will not have much time to do a course-correction. 

People on this forum are right when they say that a Wii style success was basically like catching lightning in a bottle.  There is a reason why Nintendo's brand was valued along side Apple's in the last decade:  what Nintendo did with the Wii and the DS was insane.  Coming up with a simple idea that revolutionizes the world is very difficult to do and it is even harder if you don't have a strong foot in the industry.  I do not know how Nintendo can possibly be confident that the NX will be anywhere near the Wii.  That said, there is still some geniune brilliance at Nintendo (Splatoon was our most recent example of this).  If any video game manufacturer can pull off another Wii, then it is Nintendo (Sony and MS are far too risk-adverse to ever try something as crazy as what Nintendo appears to be doing with the NX).  Hopefully, whatever the NX is, Nintendo can succeed with it because I love playing their games.

DonFerrari said:
archbrix said:

As far as I know, Microsoft was still going for traditional cloud tech relying on a massive server farm where the loss of electricity over distance is a crippling factor.  With Nintendo's SCD, it's like breaking the server farm up and spreading it out to where people with poor connections can link up to others with better connections.  So it's a different way of going about cloud processing.  Whether or not Nintendo can pull it off remains to be seen.

The NX or SCD can daisy-chain to other NXs or SCDs locally, peer to peer, to take advantage of others with good connections, or perhaps even use a limited connection to gain access to a better one.  This is what makes their idea in the patent so interesting.  This video explains it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4e2otLh8jw

Illusion said:
DonFerrari said:

The copy of Wii Mote wasn't that fast and wasn't the cause of their late struggles with Wii, and by reverse engineering of HW if MS or Sony really want to copy they wouldn't take long, Kinect and Move used very different approaches for motion control and infact were a lot better, but didn't had the same strenght. Patent can't be copied, they are worried about the concept.

I think Nintendo is probably more worried about Sony or MS actually beating Nintendo to market with their own cloned version of Nintendo's concept if they reveal it too early.  Once Nintendo is in the market, clones can come and go but it will be really clear to people who the original is. 

It definitely sounds like Nintendo is trying some simple innovative concept with the NX same as with the Wii (hence the secrecy since it is probably very easy to copy once revealed).  Also, by not getting market reaction to the NX's new concept they are either insanely confident that the NX will be huge or they are just taking a huge risk because they believe this is their only shot.  If the NX's concept turns out to be unpopular, Nintendo will not have much time to do a course-correction. 

People on this forum are right when they say that a Wii style success was basically like catching lightning in a bottle.  There is a reason why Nintendo's brand was valued along side Apple's in the last decade:  what Nintendo did with the Wii and the DS was insane.  Coming up with a simple idea that revolutionizes the world is very difficult to do and it is even harder if you don't have a strong foot in the industry.  I do not know how Nintendo can possibly be confident that the NX will be anywhere near the Wii.  That said, there is still some geniune brilliance at Nintendo (Splatoon was our most recent example of this).  If any video game manufacturer can pull off another Wii, then it is Nintendo (Sony and MS are far too risk-adverse to ever try something as crazy as what Nintendo appears to be doing with the NX).  Hopefully, whatever the NX is, Nintendo can succeed with it because I love playing their games.

I agree with you

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
archbrix said:
DonFerrari said:

The NX or SCD can daisy-chain to other NXs or SCDs locally, peer to peer, to take advantage of others with good connections, or perhaps even use a limited connection to gain access to a better one.  This is what makes their idea in the patent so interesting.  This video explains it better than I can:

So you will depend on a lot of people close by not using their NXs?

This seems like the concept Cell failed to pull.

DonFerrari said:
archbrix said:

So you will depend on a lot of people close by not using their NXs?

This seems like the concept Cell failed to pull.

It is absolutely dependent on enough SCDs making it into the wild, but doesn't rely on people not using their NX, rather, you can "borrow" the abilities of their SCDs and then Nintendo will "reward" those people for their power contribution. 

This is either

A) A PR stunt to justify the NX launch next year due to difficulties.
B) A PR stunt to justify the NX launch next year due to waiting for specs of PS4 Neo/Xbone Scorpio and hopefully to match/come close to it.
C) Purposely delay it so the PS4 Neo and Xbox One Scorpio could not modify their designs to incorporate the NX features before they release.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Im calling BS what are they cooking up that they cant show the public when the system is coming in less than a year? They cant really believe that Sony and MS can copy them that fast and have something similar out? And they both have newer versions of their consoles coming out? BS

oniyide said:
Im calling BS what are they cooking up that they cant show the public when the system is coming in less than a year? They cant really believe that Sony and MS can copy them that fast and have something similar out? And they both have newer versions of their consoles coming out? BS

The other worrying thing is if this idea can be copied so easily ... how much mileage are they really expecting to get out of it? If it's something that great, Sony/MS will probably copy it anyway.