By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Neo Could Be 5.5tf ($399 - $599)

GribbleGrunger said:
yo_john117 said:
I really do think Sony will make the NEO as powerful if not more powerful than the Scorpio since they really do seem to like being the most powerful console on the market these days (and as far as I can tell, being the most powerful has definitely been a part of their success).

I hope it's around 5.5 or more teraflops though because developers usually make a game based on the lesser powerful console as far as the Xbox and PlayStation franchise are concerned. If the NEO is close to the Scorpio, then developers should be able to fully utilize both consoles.

It doesn't need to be more powerful. Sony's production values are so far ahead of other developers that they can make games look better than current high end PC games on vanilla PS4s.

I don't agree with that at all. There are plenty of other developers that are as good as Sony's best in-house developers, and they too, can make games that look better than current mid-high end PC games (definitely not as good as ultra-high end PC games though) on both vanilla PS4s and to a slightly lesser extent, vanilla Xbox Ones. 

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It doesn't need to be more powerful. Sony's production values are so far ahead of other developers that they can make games look better than current high end PC games on vanilla PS4s.

I don't agree with that at all. There are plenty of other developers that are as good as Sony's best in-house developers, and they too, can make games that look better than current mid-high end PC games (definitely not as good as ultra-high end PC games though) on both vanilla PS4s and to a slightly lesser extent, vanilla Xbox Ones. 

While I don't agree with Gribbles notion that Sony games will still look better even if their hardware is significantley weaker. I can't really think of any other developers that are really on par with Sonys simply from a technical standpoint.

I mean...ND, SSM, and Guerilla have put out some amazing technical achievments for the hardware they're on.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

GribbleGrunger said:

This is from GAF:

Here's an interview with Jim Ryan of Sony. It's in French so here's a rough translation:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/reportages/506714/jim-ryan-sony-il-n-y-aura-aucun-jeu-exclusif-a-la-ps4-neo-e3-2016.htm

• They don't consider Neo as a new console, it's not a new gen PS4.
  • They didn't want to show the Neo (at E3) because the games are not ready yet.
  • They are aware that some people might be upset by the release of a new and better iteration of the PS4. They think it will be only a communication issue.
  • The idea of the Neo comes directly from the smartphones business model (i.e iterations of the same system).
  • No Neo exclusive games.
  • They don't want to disclose any sales target for the PS4 eco-system.
  • They don't want to confirm if there will be PS4 - PSVR bundle.
  • They don't want to confirm the specs of the Neo and how they will deal with the supposed Tflops difference with Scorpio.

An insider by the name of Proelite then posts this:

Blue pill.
5.5 teraflops.
U hear it first.
from OsirisBlack like always.
$599

Then OsirisBlack is asked is this just a leak to which he replies:

Official [so official information of the Neo should be coming soon]

OsirisBlack, a well-known insider on Neogaf, has leaked a ton of interesting new details about PlayStation 4 Neo (also known as PS4K). According to the OsirisBlack, this PlayStation Neo information comes straight from the reliable developer source. So without further ado, here are all the information OsirisBlack shared by Sony's next big thing in the gaming market.

PlayStation Neo (PS4K) GPU is going to be twice (2X) as powerful as the Standard PlayStation 4 and much faster. The source did not reveal exactly how fast the GPU is going to be, but it was confirmed that it will be running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

About the price, the source revealed that PlayStation Neo is currently priced at $399, however, this might go up by a $100 more (to $499) because Sony is considering adding a better CPU which would raise the price. However, the source added that they have been guaranteed that the price of PS4 Neo will be no higher than $499. Furthermore, there will not be any trade-in program for current PlayStation 4 owners at the time of PlayStation Neo launch, but this could change in future.

Coming to the specs, in a thread on Neogaf, OsirisBlack revealed PlayStation Neo will offer 5.5 teraflops performance and will be priced $599 (this figure was also quoted by the INSIDER we talked a few weeks ago), will have a 4K Blu-Ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4K.

Additionally, OsirisBlack revealed that few lucky developers have already received PlayStation 4K Dev Kits and they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specifications of the PS4K.

On the topic of performance upgrades for current games when played on PS4K, the source made it clear that there will not be any performance upgrades for current PS4 games by being played on PS4K. Any performance benefits to current (and old PS4 games) for PS4K will arrive via Patch Per Game and Per Developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was

"Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."

OsirisBlack went on to list TWO GAMES that are already in development for PlayStation 4K: "Capcom's Deep Down (a big surprise for those who thinks this game is already dead) and GOW4 (this is the exact term written on the sheet, and the only assumption that comes to mind if God of War 4)"

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out the most, according to OsirisBlack.

This doens't make sense, i mean which games weren't ready?

AmericanAli said:

Not that comolicated. Let me translate for you. 

• they want final dev kits to be in the hands of devs
  • also want there to be a number of games they can show alongside with the announcement to make ppl see just what a Neo mode means and not a presentation of talking heads or graphs. 
  • only way to acomplish that is for them to hsve the dev kits be made available to devs at least 6-8 weeks before the announcement. 

Intrinsic said:
AmericanAli said:

Not that comolicated. Let me translate for you. 

• they want final dev kits to be in the hands of devs
  • also want there to be a number of games they can show alongside with the announcement to make ppl see just what a Neo mode means and not a presentation of talking heads or graphs. 
  • only way to acomplish that is for them to hsve the dev kits be made available to devs at least 6-8 weeks before the announcement. 

I think he is asking because of back and forward compatibility.... I think the no game ready is talking about showcasing  the benefits of it

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

lol @ power not mattering because Sony studios can still make better looking games. Maybe that's because theyve had the most powerful hardware the last two gens? Something both Sony and their fans have reminded us of at every opportunity.

Not taking anything away from some of their studios, they are very talented. But comparing the graphics to other consoles games or even multippat PC games is misleading because based on hardware, they should have put out better looking games.

There are PLENTY of 3rd party studios and MS studios that have put out great looking games even when working on multiple/weaker hardware. Those studios will take advantage of both upgraded consoles. And ifnthe Scorpio has the rumored power advantage then it will have the best looking games. If not they'll be extremely similar.

LudicrousSpeed said:
lol @ power not mattering because Sony studios can still make better looking games. Maybe that's because theyve had the most powerful hardware the last two gens? Something both Sony and their fans have reminded us of at every opportunity.

Not taking anything away from some of their studios, they are very talented. But comparing the graphics to other consoles games or even multippat PC games is misleading because based on hardware, they should have put out better looking games.

There are PLENTY of 3rd party studios and MS studios that have put out great looking games even when working on multiple/weaker hardware. Those studios will take advantage of both upgraded consoles. And ifnthe Scorpio has the rumored power advantage then it will have the best looking games. If not they'll be extremely similar.

Curiously enough we had a lot of Xbox fans saying that X360 was stronger because multiplats were better on the first years and that the power gap this gen was almost zero.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Curiously enough we had a lot of Xbox fans saying that X360 was stronger because multiplats were better on the first years and that the power gap this gen was almost zero.

Don't remember lots of people saying that :)

MP games did tend to look better on 360 last gen but only because of the difficulty with PS3. Something exclusive studios did not have to worry about. That's also why last gen some Sony games looked way better than what most third parties achieved.

Regardless of how you want to qualify it, the facts remain. PS3/4 have power advantages, and a dev spending years making games for one platform will utilize said platform better than a majority of teams who have to build for multiple platforms :)

Bandorr said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Don't remember lots of people saying that :)

MP games did tend to look better on 360 last gen but only because of the difficulty with PS3. Something exclusive studios did not have to worry about. That's also why last gen some Sony games looked way better than what most third parties achieved.

Regardless of how you want to qualify it, the facts remain. PS3/4 have power advantages, and a dev spending years making games for one platform will utilize said platform better than a majority of teams who have to build for multiple platforms :)

Are you intentionally adding the ":)" to all sentences you are condescending to people - or is that just a habit you've developed without realizing it?

I can just look at the end of your statements and tell which are actually attempts to help, and which others are just talking downt o someone.

Heck that post is a great example. Condescending -> serious -> condescending.

Saves me time - now whenever reading what you write, I can just skip to the statements that are actually serious, and not-so-subtle attempts at baiting someone.

They are smilies, friend. Looks like someone needs a Coke and a smile :)

The thing I find really funny about these new system leaks (I am sure they are controlled leaks) is the people who claim that somehow Scorpio is more "next-gen" than Neo, etc. as if Sony could not come with yet another iterative, system more powerful than Scorpio 18 months after Scorpio.. so on and so forth...

Because this is what the new game will be, as far as console power is concerned, iteration after iteration,sometimes they have the same power enveloppe, others one company has a benefit for a little while... then another company has the technical benefit for a while...

Then the question is: why would I get a Scorpio anyway? my PC ia already just as powerful as this thins is supposed to be when it releases!.. so I'll get to play re-core anyway (this is the MS exclusive game that interests me).

As for the Neo, I'll see if Sony keep releasing amazing exclusives as they have done since 1994, sure, I'll upgrade to get the best possble version of those!