By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can an Argument be Won?

?

Yes 20 51.28%

No 3 7.69%

Sometimes. Explain? 13 33.33%

Results 3 7.69%

Total:39

I hate trump too. But for the argument sake. I could say: If the population votes in Trump. Then those guys arguments become correct. People would be idiots. I personally rather people just vote to abandon all the candidates, and look for a new batch.

Around the Network

Yes if a person changes their mind, however most of the time people are more interested in winning the argument than learning the truth.

You can almost always convince another person to expand their perspective. You can't usually convince them they were wrong, but that shouldn't be the point of the discussion. If you're disagreeing, the goal should be to understand why the other person thinks the way they do, and help them understand why you think what you do.

If you're not really interested in understanding the other person, then you can never truly "win" an argument, you can only make the other person feel foolish.

Additionally, remember that if you discover that your originally thought was wrong, you haven't lost the argument, you're much closer to having won it. You're leaving the argument more knowledgable than you were when you entered it, which has to be the ultimate goal.

You're never going to change the mind of the person you're arguing with... Unless you are friends or it's a scientific discussion.

What you can do however is change the minds of onlookers who are on the fence. that's the whole point of debates.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Roronaa_chan said:
Nothing can be won
everything is lost
existence itself is losing
time = constant decomposition
everyone and everything is dying
so no.

you're doing nihilism wrong.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

People think "losing" an argument makes them look stupid. They think admitting they were "wrong" makes them look weak.

Most people may start to argue to prove a point; but inevitably they continue to argue to try to show dominance and "win".

If an argument deals with very specific information, and is not opinion or belief based, then yes, it can be "won", by virtue of you proving that you had the correct details versus the other person.

For example, if some idiot (this has happened more than once in my life) insists that multiple different wrestlers have played the character of The Undertaker over the years, not just one man, and you of course KNOW for a practical fact that it has always been Mark Calloway, then you can "win" that argument by presenting them with the facts. Whether they are smart enough to accept the facts, is another story.

But when an argument is based around a difference of opinion or belief, the best you can ever hope for, is somehow being able to adequately make them see and understand your side of things, your point of view. You are rarely ever going to sway the other person, they are going to continue to think or believe what they want, the same as you are, so in that sense, no, many arguments cannot be "won".

On a personal aside, this is why I honestly hate arguing. It is more often than not, fruitless and even counterproductive. Arguing is also more often than not hostile, or will get there quickly enough. I far prefer "pure" communication, actually listening and hearing one another. But achieving that can sometimes be more difficult than it needs to be, if both parties are not willing TO listen, as well as be heard.

Well in your instance you have already factually won because trump is not racist. Tell them to look up some of hillary's racist qoutes then you might win. His wifes not even white or an american born but hes racist?

Also I have heard people say governor of Texas Greg Abbott is racist because he wants tough border laws. His wife is hispanic. The hypocrisy is real with some.

When it comes to "winning" an argument (in the eyes of neutral observers, maybe even the person you are arguing with), the well-known philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer actually wrote a famous text on it: "The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Being_Right ).

While the text is meant somewhat satirical, there's a lot of truth to it.

Were you seriously defending Trump? You can't win that argument buddy.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P