By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I've tried SteamOS on my PC...

Mr Puggsly said:

The most popular games on mobile devices are casual, people like playing simplistic stuff for a bit. But more deeper core gaming experiences can also do well on Android. There are core games that have hundreds of thousands or millions of downloads.

If Linux has been growing, it doesn't appear to be in a signficant way. If Linux ever become a popular OS, I don't think its gonna happen as a PC OS competing with WIndows.

And yet the deeper core experiences aren't clearly outweighing the casual, that market is making tons more than the dedicated one in terms of downloads and profits.

It's never really been significant to those who never cared nor wanted to use Linux, but those that do care can spot the growth throughout it's history quite easily. 

Mate Windows isn't going to be around for hundreds more years, I think we should accept that no one company lasts for all of time let alone holding some form of control, times changes and that time will come to MS and the OS space in general.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The most popular games on mobile devices are casual, people like playing simplistic stuff for a bit. But more deeper core gaming experiences can also do well on Android. There are core games that have hundreds of thousands or millions of downloads.

If Linux has been growing, it doesn't appear to be in a signficant way. If Linux ever become a popular OS, I don't think its gonna happen as a PC OS competing with WIndows.

And yet the deeper core experiences aren't clearly outweighing the casual, that market is making tons more than the dedicated one in terms of downloads and profits.

It's never really been significant to those who never cared nor wanted to use Linux, but those that do care can spot the growth throughout it's history quite easily. 

Mate Windows isn't going to be around for hundreds more years, I think we should accept that no one company lasts for all of time let alone holding some form of control, times changes and that time will come to MS and the OS space in general.

By that same token Linux isn't going to be around for hundreds more years either, really a dumb statement. linux has basically had no growth on the desktop since the early 2000's, it is a fantastic server platform but has remained a medicore niche desktop one and their doesn't really appear to be any indicators that this is going to change anytime soon especially in the gaming space.

Edit: reminds me of an argument I had with a computing professor writing articles in a journal back in late 90's, he was adamant that linux would be the dominate desktop OS within 5-10 years and that MS would no longer exist. I outlined the reasons this would never occur, at least in the forseeable future and he laughed and even used my quote in one of his articles as an example of someone that didn't obviously understand the trajectory of linux (FYI, I was a linux admin trainer at the time). I wish I had kept copies of those articles as the same is true now as it was back then.

nanarchy said:

Edit: reminds me of an argument I had with a computing professor writing articles in a journal back in late 90's, he was adamant that linux would be the dominate desktop OS within 5-10 years and that MS would no longer exist. I outlined the reasons this would never occur, at least in the forseeable future and he laughed and even used my quote in one of his articles as an example of someone that didn't obviously understand the trajectory of linux (FYI, I was a linux admin trainer at the time). I wish I had kept copies of those articles as the same is true now as it was back then.

Do you laugh back at him and revel in him being wrong each day like some personal vendetta or something?, or do you let it slide and move on with life?.

I'd guess with how you called my opinion as stupid would likely be option 1 towards your professor.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Mr Puggsly said:

Well, according to Steam's Hardware survey (which ain't perfect, but still showing trends), their Linux share was 2.02% in February 2013, 1.02% in February 2015 and 0.84% in May 2016.  

Conina said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well, according to Steam's Hardware survey (which ain't perfect, but still showing trends), their Linux share was 2.02% in February 2013, 1.02% in February 2015 and 0.84% in May 2016.  

Ouch, I guess SteamOS is losing steam.

I suspect people tried SteamOS, so the percentage was higher in the past.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Doesent matter if casual outnumbers the core market on Android. The core audience on Android is viable and growing. Is Linux gaming growing? Its not significant according to Steam.

My concern isnt what people will use hundreds of years from now. At some point Windows may go free to maintain its marketshare.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Chazore said:
nanarchy said:

Do you laugh back at him and revel in him being wrong each day like some personal vendetta or something?, or do you let it slide and move on with life?.

I'd guess with how you called my opinion as stupid would likely be option 1 towards your professor.

No I don't and I didn't call your opinion stupid, just plain wrong and ill informed. However you did make a dumb statement which I called you out on.

nanarchy said:

No I don't and I didn't call your opinion stupid, just plain wrong and ill informed. However you did make a dumb statement which I called you out on.

You call it ill informed because you don't think Linux is growing despite the changes that have clearly occured over the past 15 years.

No, you seem to think one is going to die and the other isn't, I;d call that the dumb line of thinking.

Mr Puggsly said:

Doesent matter if casual outnumbers the core market on Android. The core audience on Android is viable and growing. Is Linux gaming growing? Its not significant according to Steam.

My concern isnt what people will use hundreds of years from now. At some point Windows may go free to maintain its marketshare.

Growth is still growth, to you, you have a bar set to what is viable and what is not, in this case we could say PS4 is more viable than Xbox in terms of numbers growth if you'd like to go that way of Linux versus Windows comparison.

Your concern 100 years from now won't even matter, it's not like anyone is going to specifically call your name or remember what you thought of an OS 100 years from now anyway.

Chazore said:
nanarchy said:

You call it ill informed because you don't think Linux is growing despite the changes that have clearly occured over the past 15 years.

No, you seem to think one is going to die and the other isn't, I;d call that the dumb line of thinking.

What growth? as desktop it has had no growth in the last 15 years. As a gaming platform it has had negative growth in the last few years.