By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I've tried SteamOS on my PC...

Mr Puggsly said:

Well Linux has been around for a long time. There was even a period in the early 2000s that PC manufacturers were trying to sell PCs with Linux installed at retail. Its just never had the software support or user friendliness to be a viable option. Apple PCs have also been used for gaming for many years, but avid gamers stick with WIndows for obvious reasons.

SteamOS isn't doing anything intersting therefore people don't see any reason to switch. Cutting edge PC gaming happens on Windows, while Linux users beg for more ports. Hence, the interesting stuff is happening on Windows.

I don't think Windows 7 gaming support is gonna end anytime soon, outside of some exceptions like MS's WIndows 10 exclusives.

When I said "many", I clearly meant PC users. I find it hard to believe you didn't understand that.

I don't see room in the market for Linux (not for a significant audience atleast). But Windows does have competition, mobile devices like Android are a great alternitive for many PC functions.

It still won't stop Steam OS from existing or growing to become an option regardless. Just look at what Apple has over MS that MS themselves cannot grasp despite both having been around for a long time, if you want to knock down Linux some pegs then knock down MS for they haven't got what Apple still has at the top of the chain, phones tablets and all.

Steam OS doesn't need to do anything other than to play games and play them well, your decision that Steam OS has to be some non gaming OS in order to be something special is rather non needed. I do not need Steam OS to do office documents, I do not need Steam OS to have a Siri clone to talk to, nor do I need a store built in or some fancy tiles let alone any connection to another system I have no plans on buying, why Steam OS would need to attach anything to a console like MS's one is beyond me (because Steam machines use the same OS so "play anywhere" is already a thing with custom built machines or Steam ones running the same OS).

Don't know why you needed to put beg in there, Linux users aren't poor paupers or anything of the sort, they just happen to like those that give them the time of day, you would to if someone paid some form of attention to you rather than ignoring out of spite for some other purpose (looking at MS and Win 7-8.1 users). Cutting edge isn't really all that cutting edge when you look at the big picture, the OS isn't the one doing the cutting edge work at play, no that goes to the hardware, the CPU, GPU and engine more of than the OS, otherwise hardware is virtually empty if the OS apparently does all the work and we know that isn't true at all. Also DX 12 isn't all that cutting edge with the results we've seen, if it was truly cutting edge we would be seeing enormous results right off the bat, you know with all the years DX has been around along with MS and all that money, that seemingly endless amount of money that could have been used along with the proper research to prevent such inadequate results from showing up each time a new DX api rears it's head.

We don't know when Win 7 will end but MS could ever so easily crush support on purpose to force the last remaining onto 10, I don't see why they wouldn't, they've been doing it with 10 and it's working out for them, why not do it each OS?, that tactic is apparently deserved and welcome according to those that adopt the OS, those that don't like the tactic are apparently mindless simpletons from what I've gathered over the numerous websites of Win 10 users towards 7-8.1 users.

"When I said "many", I clearly meant PC users. I find it hard to believe you didn't understand that." 

You seem to misunderstand that I meant PC gamers as well as non *hardcore* gamers, PC has plenty of casuals themselves that aren't in the lingo of OS usage let alone custom beefy rigs, you seem to forget the different markets that exist within the PC space, we aren't all hardcore folk who know exactly how and when to build a PC.

I see more than enough room, plenty in fact with all the other OS's that exist and time to grow as well, maybe not to you, but to others they can see it as a working alternative, more so than Android since that OS hasn't been geared towards the "cutting edge" gaming you've been talking of, if anything that OS is geared towards the non hardcore gaming market than the one you speak of with Windows.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Steam OS is pretty poor from what I've heard, one of the reasons why Steam Machines have flopped.

Steam machiens being in too large a number of steups along with the marketing and games geared towards that gamepad of theirs would be some of the main reasons tbh, far too many different machines and prices to choose from that confused the masses so very easily. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It still won't stop Steam OS from existing or growing to become an option regardless. Just look at what Apple has over MS that MS themselves cannot grasp despite both having been around for a long time, if you want to knock down Linux some pegs then knock down MS for they haven't got what Apple still has at the top of the chain, phones tablets and all.

yes it will, maintaining an OS is time and resource intensive, and unless they can actually make performance at least on par then adoption rate is going to remain miserable.  MS has 10 times the desktop market share of Apple and Apple has a tough time in desktop gaming too, Linux has a fraction of what apple market is for desktops. Whats more the very reasons for Valve to invest in Steam OS have vanished so I just can't see them investing the 100's of millions if not billions that would be required to even give it a chance. It reminds me of the linux and Wine problem, always playing catchup and the best you could ever hope to achieve was mediocre support equal to N-2 versions of windows at best.

Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well Linux has been around for a long time. There was even a period in the early 2000s that PC manufacturers were trying to sell PCs with Linux installed at retail. Its just never had the software support or user friendliness to be a viable option. Apple PCs have also been used for gaming for many years, but avid gamers stick with WIndows for obvious reasons.

SteamOS isn't doing anything intersting therefore people don't see any reason to switch. Cutting edge PC gaming happens on Windows, while Linux users beg for more ports. Hence, the interesting stuff is happening on Windows.

I don't think Windows 7 gaming support is gonna end anytime soon, outside of some exceptions like MS's WIndows 10 exclusives.

When I said "many", I clearly meant PC users. I find it hard to believe you didn't understand that.

I don't see room in the market for Linux (not for a significant audience atleast). But Windows does have competition, mobile devices like Android are a great alternitive for many PC functions.

Is Steam OS growing? I'm sure people are trying it but are significant number sticking with it? Who knows.

Apple found success mostly where MS does not. Steam OS is going head on with Windows PCs and doing nothing else I'm aware of. With that said, Steam OS has been a failure thus far.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Is Steam OS growing? I'm sure people are trying it but are significant number sticking with it? Who knows.

Apple found success mostly where MS does not. Steam OS is going head on with Windows PCs and doing nothing else I'm aware of. With that said, Steam OS has been a failure thus far.

We will find it in time like we do for everything else.

Apple still finds success where MS seemingly does not, especially if we look at the console market for 3 gens, they still haven't managed to win a single gen outright, their phone sector isn't doing so hot either as well as the tablet side, gaming on PC itself is taking hits and isn't turning many heads either compared to the competition. Steam OS is existing like Linux does, in the same space Linux has been for decades, it's like Nintendo existing in it's own bubble where it does it's own thing.

I wouldn't say it's been a failure though, a failure would be it not working full stop along with running performance at a very terrible unplayable rate for everyone universally (talking all of us, not a few, all).

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

We will find it in time like we do for everything else.

Apple still finds success where MS seemingly does not, especially if we look at the console market for 3 gens, they still haven't managed to win a single gen outright, their phone sector isn't doing so hot either as well as the tablet side, gaming on PC itself is taking hits and isn't turning many heads either compared to the competition. Steam OS is existing like Linux does, in the same space Linux has been for decades, it's like Nintendo existing in it's own bubble where it does it's own thing.

I wouldn't say it's been a failure though, a failure would be it not working full stop along with running performance at a very terrible unplayable rate for everyone universally (talking all of us, not a few, all).

SteamOS is a failure so now we're gonna talking about MS mobile devices? No thanks, lets move on.

Looking at Steam's statistics, Windows 10 is the most popular OS and Windows accounts for 95%. Meanwhile Linux is less than 1%. That's a pretty good indication of how irrelevant SteamOS is.

I think I've made my point and arguing is gonna change the facts. At the rate things are going, its gonna be very difficult for SteamOS to gain traction. Especially if its just gonna get ports of games on Windows with worse performance.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Well, if every game on Windows would be on Linux, there'd be no reason to use Windows ;)

SteamOS can be a vehicle to grow the amount of games available on Linux, and so far, they (kind of) succeeded.

Well the reasons people use Windows arent limited to games. But in regard to games, relatively few get ported to Linux. Especially in the big budget gaming arena.

MS's push on PC gaming is even more incentive to stick with Windows.

I agree SteamOS encouraging developers to bring games to Linux. But ultimately, its the same content we can get on Windows. I'm more interested in seeing Android get support with actual console style games.

That's not really going to happen. For one, people mostly game on PC's that can also be used to work. Full Linux distro's are waaaaay more featured then Android. Android pretty much always lags behind in Kernel versions and the play store is a true minefield for gaming.

Valve has and can hammer in Linux gaming, Android will never be a major gaming platform.

Mr Puggsly said:

But now, the software support is there. For some professional tools and coding, Windows is really inadequate and Linux far outpaces Windows in support. Don't forget Microsoft is a big company that also actively tries to keep its stranglehold on the PC market.

Chazore said:

Steam OS doesn't need to do anything other than to play games and play them well, your decision that Steam OS has to be some non gaming OS in order to be something special is rather non needed. I do not need Steam OS to do office documents, I do not need Steam OS to have a Siri clone to talk to, nor do I need a store built in or some fancy tiles let alone any connection to another system I have no plans on buying, why Steam OS would need to attach anything to a console like MS's one is beyond me (because Steam machines use the same OS so "play anywhere" is already a thing with custom built machines or Steam ones running the same OS).

I woudn't mind a more functional desktop. Doesn't need fancy speech features, just a package manager like GNOME Software and Debian repositories out of the box would make it a much more functional OS.

WolfpackN64 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well the reasons people use Windows arent limited to games. But in regard to games, relatively few get ported to Linux. Especially in the big budget gaming arena.

MS's push on PC gaming is even more incentive to stick with Windows.

I agree SteamOS encouraging developers to bring games to Linux. But ultimately, its the same content we can get on Windows. I'm more interested in seeing Android get support with actual console style games.

That's not really going to happen. For one, people mostly game on PC's that can also be used to work. Full Linux distro's are waaaaay more featured then Android. Android pretty much always lags behind in Kernel versions and the play store is a true minefield for gaming.

Valve has and can hammer in Linux gaming, Android will never be a major gaming platform.

Android already a popular gaming platform. Its also a unique way to play games via mobile and TV devices. For PC gaming, Windows owns it. MS has also been pushing notable games that will never come to Linux, more on the way.

Recently Completed