By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If NX "fails" in the same way the Wii U has, will you abandon Nintendo?

If the NX flops, I will...

Abandon Nintendo for good. 100 20.24%

Still support them. 173 35.02%

I only buy Nintendo first... 84 17.00%

I will buy the games if t... 89 18.02%

Other....comments. 48 9.72%

Total:494
John2290 said:
Seems to me, a lot of Nintendo fans would have a blast on PS4 with all the JRPG'S and tight 2d platformers like DUST elysian tail, shovel knight or even games like Journey, flower, subnautica. It just seems like the perfect progression that many Nintey fans on here seem weary of making.

Though I really enjoy the some of those games (Dust and Shovel Knight are really good games), they're not nearly close of Ninty platformers like Tropical Freeze or SM3DW. The problem is that platformers is my favourite genre, and Nintendo is still providing the best platformer experiences imo. I have a PC and play some other games, but Nintendo provides a really different experience in their games. Something than other developers don't offer. Which is something you can apply to different developers, but, still, the only way of playing Nintendo games is having a Nintendo console, so... 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Seems to me, a lot of Nintendo fans would have a blast on PS4 with all the JRPG'S and tight 2d platformers like DUST elysian tail, shovel knight or even games like Journey, flower, subnautica. It just seems like the perfect progression that many Nintey fans on here seem weary of making.

None of those games are on the level of the best Nintendo games to beggin with, there is nothing weary about it, we like Nintendo more, that's all.
And do you realize that Shovel Knight debut was on WiiU?

Yeah I like the Wii U so, i guess I'll still support them. It's kind of funny because I've gotten the last few of their consoles used and later on, as I had played more Playstation and Xbox for the last 2-3 consoles. The Wii U is what brought me back to Nintendo.

John2290 said:

I don't think that's the case. Nintendo and PlayStation are moving in opposite directions. Someone who adores the exclusives on one probably wouldn't adore the exclusives on the other.

There is a huge, unbridgeable gap between a game like New Super Mario Bros. U and Journey, for example.

Aeolus451 said:
After reading through a good bit of this thread, I can see why nintendo gets away with a lot of the things they do and don't do. Some seem to think they are married to the brand as in they'll "support" whatever nintendo does no matter what while others are just fans of nintendo who are more sensible and have conditions that nintendo has to meet in order for them to purchase a product or not.

It's hardly exclusive to Nintendo and its fans. Remember all the venom Sony enthusiasts dished at Xbox for paid online multiplayer? Now that Sony's gone that route, the animosity has receded. Nintendo fans lambasted cynical and abusive DLC practices, then bought up Amiibo by the truckload. It's just human nature.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Aeolus451 said:
After reading through a good bit of this thread, I can see why nintendo gets away with a lot of the things they do and don't do. Some seem to think they are married to the brand as in they'll "support" whatever nintendo does no matter what while others are just fans of nintendo who are more sensible and have conditions that nintendo has to meet in order for them to purchase a product or not.

It's hardly exclusive to Nintendo and its fans. Remember all the venom Sony enthusiasts dished at Xbox for paid online multiplayer? Now that Sony's gone that route, the animosity has receded. Nintendo fans lambasted cynical and abusive DLC practices, then bought up Amiibo by the truckload. It's just human nature.

I'm talking about loyalists that let the brand do whatever it wants and not the "it's bad if they do it but good if we do it" hypocrisy. The loyalists mindset is not exclusive to nintendo's fans but it's definitely more prominent among those fans compared to the other 2. There's nothing really wrong with having loyal fans but it's detrimental to what nintendo fans want in terms of games and features versus what they get if it's unchecked or unconditional loyality. 

bunchanumbers said:
Nexus7 said:

It's not just droughts but the games that Nintendo makes as well.   While they make games that appeals to hardcore NIntendo fans, they don't really make the kinds of games that appeals to the Playstation and Xbox crowd.    If Nintendo wants to create new Nintendo fans then they need to diversify their library of games.  They don't have to stop making games like Mario and Splatoon, but they also could use something a little more mature themed like a Gears or Uncharted type of game.   

Nintendo wants to be the Disney of video games, but they are doing a piss poor job as even Disney has brands like Marvel and Star Wars to expand their film lineup outside animated movies for kids. 

Nintendo has other franchises that they tried. Bayonetta, TW101, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Devil's 3rd, not to mention getting exclusives like Zombi U. Its not like they just decided to do only family oriented games. They did lots of different things. Its not their fault that it didn't fly. 

Barkley said:

I have zero understanding of statements like this. If you get the exact same games what's the problem. You just have to buy a box with a different logo on it.

Easy. I buy Nintendo systems because I want to play Nintendo games. If I wanted Sony games I'll buy a Playstation. The instant Nintendo goes 3rd party then I'm out. Its really that simple. The only way they go 3rd party and I continue to buy their games is if they launch a PC platform with a closed ecosystem where I can visit with other Nintendo fans in peace. I'm not going to get a Nintendo game on a different console and deal with a bunch of dude bro jerks who were raised on CoD and internet hate.

bunchanumbers said:
Nexus7 said:

It's not just droughts but the games that Nintendo makes as well.   While they make games that appeals to hardcore NIntendo fans, they don't really make the kinds of games that appeals to the Playstation and Xbox crowd.    If Nintendo wants to create new Nintendo fans then they need to diversify their library of games.  They don't have to stop making games like Mario and Splatoon, but they also could use something a little more mature themed like a Gears or Uncharted type of game.   

Nintendo wants to be the Disney of video games, but they are doing a piss poor job as even Disney has brands like Marvel and Star Wars to expand their film lineup outside animated movies for kids. 

Nintendo has other franchises that they tried. Bayonetta, TW101, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Devil's 3rd, not to mention getting exclusives like Zombi U. Its not like they just decided to do only family oriented games. They did lots of different things. Its not their fault that it didn't fly. 

Barkley said:

I have zero understanding of statements like this. If you get the exact same games what's the problem. You just have to buy a box with a different logo on it.

Easy. I buy Nintendo systems because I want to play Nintendo games. If I wanted Sony games I'll buy a Playstation. The instant Nintendo goes 3rd party then I'm out. Its really that simple. The only way they go 3rd party and I continue to buy their games is if they launch a PC platform with a closed ecosystem where I can visit with other Nintendo fans in peace. I'm not going to get a Nintendo game on a different console and deal with a bunch of dude bro jerks who were raised on CoD and internet hate.

I think you've summed it up perfectly, it's not just about the games Nintendo makes if anyone has been on Miiverse  (a Nintendo community) versus N4G a Playstation community. One would easily see the difference is night and day between how the players talk about gaming! 

Barkley said:
bunchanumbers said:
I'll stay with Nintendo as long as they make consoles.

I won't be there if they go 3rd party.

If you guys believe it's only possible that Nintendo can have a lightening strikes console or a failure  (with nothing else possible in between). Then it's very probable for current Nintendo fans to believe that the games they know and love won't be the same or around if Nintendo went 3rd party...

John2290 said:

As a previous PS3 owner there's nothing on PS4 that currently makes me want one, if anything these consoles trumpeting 3rd party support makes me want a gaming PC for those instead. 

Barkley said:
bunchanumbers said:

Even if you are primarily a mutliplayer gamer Nintendo games generally don't feature voice of even text chat, even if they implemented such a feature in the future it would no doubt be optional. How would you have to "deal" with these people just to continue playing the games you know and love. I don't even have to deal with these people when I'm playing Rocket League or CoD.

And when it comes to singleplayer games, this has absolutely no effect at all. Not buying Zelda because it's on a ps4 just because somehwere else in the world "dude-bro's" are using a ps4 to play Fifa online is a very strange thing.

I've already said my piece on it. If you don't understand it then you won't understand it. But if you're a Nintendo fan, then you will probably understand. If you've been on Miiverse then you'd understand. There's a lot of joy when you are a part of a community that likes the games you like. And all of that disappears when Nintendo goes 3rd party.