By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Next Round of Price Cuts?

If Microsoft cut the price in the US, Sony would follow and do the same; thus having no net effect. I might actually help Sony more, as the PS3 is the new standard for Blu-Ray players. Microsoft knows this. Sony would not let their current US momentum slip away. This is not "conceding defeat", this is just the reality of the market. MS already has a huge lead in the US that Sony may never be able to overcome. MS is hoping GTA4 gives them the sales bump that they want.

MS/Sony will not drop the price in the US until after E3.

Around the Network

@ OP; what are you doing?!... Core (Arrcade) from 279 to 249?!... It is already at 199...

And Premium with 2 games is already 299$ where i live! So i don't get the point of this thread... But whatever! 

THE NETHERLANDS

Dno said:
I Think they need more big titles this year. GOW2 and Alan wake arent big enough to go agasint sonys many AAA titles this year. ninja gaiden is gonna be hot but not a system seller. Sony has many system sellers so its gonna be hard for microsoft unless they cut the price in USA.

What real "system sellers" does Sony have this holiday season? In 2008 overall? I see Metal Gear Solid 4 and that's it. To counter it, the 360 has Gears of War 2. I call that pretty even.

Each system has their smaller games like Splinter Cell, Fable 2, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Killzone, Ninja Gaiden, etc. but those are hardly system sellers.

Look at the lists objectively and they're actually pretty even. Sony doesn't have their big hitters coming until 2009 now... God of War III, GT5, and FFXIII should all release next year.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Europe and Japan are lost to the 360 already this generation IMO.

MS should just focus on dominating the American marketplace and trying to rebuild their reputation worldwide which was damaged by shitty hardware.

I'd say it's time for them to do a price drop in America--especially since I don't buy the supply issues are STILL influencing sales. I believe the 360 had supply issues in January and the very beginning of February...but not recently.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

MS should keep fighting the good fight in Europe because while they're still in third place, it's not that distant a third and they are making real strides in the region compared to the original Xbox.

As for US price cuts... If the 360 does get a cut, it probably won't be a large one. The dollar sitting in the crapper over the past half year has pretty much guaranteed that. Of course, the same problem applies to Sony.

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:

@ OP; what are you doing?!... Core (Arrcade) from 279 to 249?!... It is already at 199...

And Premium with 2 games is already 299$ where i live! So i don't get the point of this thread... But whatever!

He's talking about prices in the USA and the prices listed are the 360 prices in US Dollars. Aren't the prices you listed in Europe/Euros?

I think the low dollar might be making MS a little more hesitant about a price drop in the US. I do hope they drop it though, before GTAIV for a large boost in hardware sales.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

rocketpig said:
Dno said:
I Think they need more big titles this year. GOW2 and Alan wake arent big enough to go agasint sonys many AAA titles this year. ninja gaiden is gonna be hot but not a system seller. Sony has many system sellers so its gonna be hard for microsoft unless they cut the price in USA.

What real "system sellers" does Sony have this holiday season? In 2008 overall? I see Metal Gear Solid 4 and that's it. To counter it, the 360 has Gears of War 2. I call that pretty even.

Each system has their smaller games like Splinter Cell, Fable 2, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Killzone, Ninja Gaiden, etc. but those are hardly system sellers.

Look at the lists objectively and they're actually pretty even. Sony doesn't have their big hitters coming until 2009 now... God of War III, GT5, and FFXIII should all release next year.

I suspect Gears of War 2 won't be much of a system seller at all, since the people it would sell to would mostly already have bought the system for Gears of War 1.

DKII said:
rocketpig said:
Dno said:

I suspect Gears of War 2 won't be much of a system seller at all, since the people it would sell to would mostly already have bought the system for Gears of War 1.

True, but in pure numbers, it should do as well or better than MGS4. It will probably move a few consoles as well, especially is MS drops the price around its launch.

DKII said:
rocketpig said:
Dno said:

I suspect Gears of War 2 won't be much of a system seller at all, since the people it would sell to would mostly already have bought the system for Gears of War 1.

Just like all the people who bought Halo 1/2 already bought their 360 way before Halo 3 was released, right...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

rocketpig said:
Dno said:

I have to disagree slightly. I DO agree that the 360 has an about even line-up as PS3, probably even slightly better because they have more exclusives and the multiplatforms are generally better on 360. Especially Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden and Fable are big, imo bigger than LBP, Resistance and Killzone especially since FPS is more the 360 territory).

But I don't think Gears of war 2 will be a system seller, because the series started on 360, so all fans of the series have a 360. Same for Resistence 2 btw.