By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Next Round of Price Cuts?

When do you guys expect the next round of Price Cuts to begin for the Xbox 360 and for how much?

Personally I believe Microsoft has two options, they can "concede" the console war and take a profit this time around by NOT dropping the price until this summer June/July or late, in order to take the most profit possible out of GTA 4's launch and then dropping the price for the Holidays OR Microsoft can go after the PS3 & Wii by dropping the price right before GTA IV's launch in order to build a bigger install base for future software sales.

I'm thinking Microsoft really needs that pricecut, but will likely delay until the Fall unless another Sony puts some pressure on.

The pricecuts I see happening are more drastic then last time, but still not massive. I'm hoping/imagine the following.

Elite...$450 -> $399 (Bundled Game)

Premium...$349 -> $299

Core...$279 -> $249

With the Premium bundled for the holidays and then down to $199 for the following holiday season with the Core phased out.

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!

Around the Network

We are talking about US only or WW?

WW they would slaughter their revenue since its cheap in the other regions.

US only they have decent sales week in and week out. I think they should cruise at this price,.

They should also drop the core. in all regions

darkfire001 said:

When do you guys expect the next round of Price Cuts to begin for the Xbox 360 and for how much?

Personally I believe Microsoft has two options, they can "concede" the console war and take a profit this time around by NOT dropping the price until this summer June/July or late, in order to take the most profit possible out of GTA 4's launch and then dropping the price for the Holidays OR Microsoft can go after the PS3 & Wii by dropping the price right before GTA IV's launch in order to build a bigger install base for future software sales.

I'm thinking Microsoft really needs that pricecut, but will likely delay until the Fall unless another Sony puts some pressure on.

The pricecuts I see happening are more drastic then last time, but still not massive. I'm hoping/imagine the following.

Elite...$450 -> $399 (Bundled Game)

Premium...$349 -> $299

Core...$279 -> $249

With the Premium bundled for the holidays and then down to $199 for the following holiday season with the Core phased out.

What makes you think that not dropping the price = conceding to Sony? The games lineup for 2008 AND most probably 2009 is pretty good. They don't have to do anything more this year, so long as they keep at a good relative pace with the PS3. If they do drop the price, I would probably expect them to do it later this year before they release their Jasper 65nm GPU revision.

Tease.

Personally, i think they should lower the Core to match the Wii, especially near GTA's release. Nothing else needs to be priced down. Even though the PS3 has been on the rise lately, i dont think they're worrying too much on that. They have a great line-up as someone mentioned earlier. Granted, the PS3 has metal gear, FF, LBP & GTP and yeah they're big tittles, but i, and this is just a personal belief (mind you), believe the 360 has a more balanced line-up of steady hits. Still, the ps3 packs a punch. I'm not even mentioning the Wii cuz its on a league of its own--its a monster!

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

aiden.cronus said:
Personally, i think they should lower the Core to match the Wii, especially near GTA's release. Nothing else needs to be priced down. Even though the PS3 has been on the rise lately, i dont think they're worrying too much on that. They have a great line-up as someone mentioned earlier. Granted, the PS3 has metal gear, FF, LBP & GTP and yeah they're big tittles, but i, and this is just a personal belief (mind you), believe the 360 has a more balanced line-up of steady hits. Still, the ps3 packs a punch. I'm not even mentioning the Wii cuz its on a league of its own--its a monster!

I really on consider the PS3 to have one assured major mass market hit in it's lineup at the moment. Thats GT5, the rest are way too hardcore to really draw in any new people to the console apart from getting a few Xb360 people to finally pick one up. LBP is the only real draw that I can see, but for it to be effective there needs to be a few other games like that to draw people to the console.

I would call the Xbox lineup better because it has something for everyone, it also has potentially a few new big hit franchises starting up in the next year. Never underestimate the value of a good PC/360 exclusive. :) If you're a big fanboy you'd rather see it on the PC than the PS3. I feel good about owning an Xbox this year.

Tease.

Around the Network

No price is worth an XBox 360 RROD machine.

Don't get me wrong the Xbox has a really good lineup (PS3 as well) and it still has a pricing advantage over the PS3. However they won't hit that "mass market" buyer until they can get the premium down to $299 or so or a core to $199.

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!

I take it by Core you mean Arcade? Wasn't the Core already discontinued?

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I don't expect a price cut until the holidays to be honest although I presume we're taling about the US cause I can see another price cut in japan before the holidays.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I Think they need more big titles this year. GOW2 and Alan wake arent big enough to go agasint sonys many AAA titles this year. ninja gaiden is gonna be hot but not a system seller. Sony has many system sellers so its gonna be hard for microsoft unless they cut the price in USA.