By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii does not = , > the PS2,PS3,360 because they are NOT THE SAME!!

Kasz216 said:
bobobologna said:
Kasz216 said:
bobobologna said:
Xyrax said:
bobobologna said:
About MP3 controls:

They felt too lose. Even using the "pro" control setup (I forgot what it's called, the one that's more sensitive) I felt like basic maneuvering was an exercise in patience. Especially with the high speed of the space pirates.

Sorry its just that I play a lot of FPS as well with dual analog. And on its most sensitive setting I have never played a FPS that lets you whip about at the speed the wiimote does in MP3 on a dual analog. So to see you say the sentive setting is to slow, then say it would have been so much better on DA, Im like what? So slower manuverability would make handling the super fast enemies easier to manage?

Um, when did I say the controls were slow. Loose != slow. Oh, and I see I misspelled loose in my original post.

They can't be loose though... it works off IR. The only way they could be lose would be if you sucked with it and were wildly flailing around too much overreacting to seeing an enemy or being hit or something.

It's based off IR? It's based off infrared?!?!? YES, now I see, the Wiimote is an infallible piece of technology with no equal. My eyes have been opened by your wisdom.

I'll expain. The mouse is by far, the best device for aiming. It's fast and precise. It translates into absolute movement. You move the mouse 1 inch to the right and it tells the game to move your view 10 degrees to the right.

A gamepad uses relative movement. You move the right stick 20 degrees to the right, and it tells the game to move 10 degrees to the right every second.

Do you see the difference in the way the input is processed? Do you see why the mouse is the superior aiming device?

The Wii also uses relative movement. You point 100 pixels to the right of the center, and it tells the game to move 10 degrees to the right every second. Now this is where the lag of the pointer comes in. Let's say you suddenly want to move to the left. You point to the left, the Wii processes it over a fifth of a second (just an estimate of the lag based on my experiences) and then you start moving left. You point to the left, and 1/5 a second LATER you start moving left. That's a huge amount of time for someone used to precise controls. I just couldn't get used to it. I got to Bryo, explored a little, turned the game off, and never bothered going back. The controls are loose, they don't respond instantly, and it ruined my enjoyment of the game. I thought the graphics were excellent BTW. I'm not trying to bash the Wii, I'm just giving my opinions.

Yeah... there is no lag in MP3. You must of had your system set up wrong or was just overreacting to nothing. Aside from hand fatigue it works just like a mouse.

For me it wasnt the autolock feature or percission aiming at the screen with a wii mote it was turning left or right by sweeping off screen either way with the wiimote and readjusting my aim in battle the off screen mechanic was funky for turning because why doing it the recticle dissappears and you have to bring it back and readjust your aim.

Loved the game best controller setup not in my oppinion. I used all three settings and was always a little perplexed! but I usually dont use the auto lock feature either.

but if it worked for you and it was best in your oppinion great.

Around the Network
jimmay said:
Well this thread took a predictable turn. As for the wii and laggy controls, yes the wiimote does lag, i've played 8 different wii's on 8 different t.v.'s round various friends houses and the wiimote is like using a wireless mouse compared to a wired one. It's not a massive difference and most people won't know any different but to players who want the most accurate controls from a game console the wiimote is not the answer.

Even if you are somehow experiencing some IR lag with the pointer, its moot, because dual analog STILL isnt going to match the speed and precision of a freaking pointer anyway. And that was his point, that the dual analog > pointer due to this "lag" he is experiencing. If there is ANY lag at all, it is barely perceptible (unless something is interfering with your hardware) and even in that state its going to be >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dual analog in terms of speed and accuracy. There is just no way you can compare the two.

Now perhaps the man just doesnt like holding the Wiimote and pointing it at his screen, perhaps thats not as comfortable to him as a traditional controller is. That is fine, but dual analog is not faster and more accurate that a pointer that you can whip about so easily. The wiimote is as accurate and as fast as you can be. The dual analog config just cant touch the pointer in that area. The complete control a human being has over his/her on hand acceleration alone removes any chance that a DA setup can match a pointer.

It would be like doing a powerpoint presentation at work during a meeting, and using a IR light pointer to point to objects from a projector on the wall, then replacing said IR like with a freaking trackball mouse. Due to design the pointer is just going to be superior, period. 

You wanna know what else is in a different market? Pizza. And Pizza outsold all of that stuff combined last gen. So Pizza is the undefeated champ of the 6th generation *o*

Xyrax said:
jimmay said:
Well this thread took a predictable turn. As for the wii and laggy controls, yes the wiimote does lag, i've played 8 different wii's on 8 different t.v.'s round various friends houses and the wiimote is like using a wireless mouse compared to a wired one. It's not a massive difference and most people won't know any different but to players who want the most accurate controls from a game console the wiimote is not the answer.

Even if you are somehow experiencing some IR lag with the pointer, its moot, because dual analog STILL isnt going to match the speed and precision of a freaking pointer anyway. And that was his point, that the dual analog > pointer due to this "lag" he is experiencing. If there is ANY lag at all, it is barely perceptible (unless something is interfering with your hardware) and even in that state its going to be >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dual analog in terms of speed and accuracy. There is just no way you can compare the two.

Now perhaps the man just doesnt like holding the Wiimote and pointing it at his screen, perhaps thats not as comfortable to him as a traditional controller is. That is fine, but dual analog is not faster and more accurate that a pointer that you can whip about so easily. The wiimote is as accurate and as fast as you can be. The dual analog config just cant touch the pointer in that area. The complete control a human being has over his/her on hand acceleration alone removes any chance that a DA setup can match a pointer.

It would be like doing a powerpoint presentation at work during a meeting, and using a IR light pointer to point to objects from a projector on the wall, then replacing said IR like with a freaking trackball mouse. Due to design the pointer is just going to be superior, period.

Erm nope, dual analog has less lag than the wiimote and is more accurate.

Viper1 said:
I'm sorry but the actual lag (which is a combination of processing and signal transmission) is practically beyond human perception. Far less than what would actually affect gameplay.

You may also be experiencing a lag from the SD signal on an HDTV. This is a known issue not limited to the Wii but various SD signals through certain cables onto HD displays.

A properly set up Wii would display absolutely no perceptible lag at all.
Viper1 is right. The lag is cause by the HDTV upscaling the SD signal especially those HDTV which enhances SD image quailty. If you have such a TV then you need to turn these enhancements off so there will be less delay.

Around the Network
jimmay said:
Xyrax said:
jimmay said:

.....erm..what?!? I know that is prolly your opinion, but that isn't fact. That isn't even an educated opinion, that is a "I'm used to this style so therefore that style is better than the so-called improved style" opinion. Have you tried playing RE4 with a PS2 controller, then RE4 with a Wii controller? If not, try it. You will see how much faster and accurate the Wii controller set-up really is. Until then, it's stubborness that is speaking.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

They all competed in the same market for my dollars in the Who Gets to Sit Under Rubang's TV battle, and the Wii was the only victor. I am a happy Wii owner. Does that bother you that I don't need a 360 or PS3 to flesh out my "next-gen" experience or something?

pakidan101 said:
jimmay said:
Xyrax said:
jimmay said:

.....erm..what?!? I know that is prolly your opinion, but that isn't fact. That isn't even an educated opinion, that is a "I'm used to this style so therefore that style is better than the so-called improved style" opinion. Have you tried playing RE4 with a PS2 controller, then RE4 with a Wii controller? If not, try it. You will see how much faster and accurate the Wii controller set-up really is. Until then, it's stubborness that is speaking.
Nope not my opinion, it's a fact because i have constantly experenced it myself. Instead of just saying the wiimote is more accurate than dual analog, why don't you back it up, show me a link where a respected independent website proves that the wiimote is more accurate. As for resident evil 4, the game was supposed to be slow moving to make the game more scary, it wasn't that the dual anolog controls couldn't be any better.

jimmay said:
pakidan101 said:
jimmay said:
Xyrax said:
jimmay said:

Nope not my opinion, it's a fact because i have constantly experenced it myself. Instead of just saying the wiimote is more accurate than dual analog, why don't you back it up, show me a link where a respected independent website proves that the wiimote is more accurate. As for resident evil 4, the game was supposed to be slow moving to make the game more scary, it wasn't that the dual anolog controls couldn't be any better.

See IGN.  If you have lag your TV is hooked up wrong or you're imagining it to compensate for sucking.

jimmay said:

How about you back up your claim? More people seem to side with the wiimote being more accurate in this thread so the burden of proof is on you.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229