By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Slim Image Revealed - 40% Smaller!

JRPGfan said:
If its still a Xbox One component wise (power) it cant cost more than a base PS4 model and expect to sell.

In fact, it needs to cost significantly less than the base PS4 model to sell.  the XBox One has been consistently $50 cheaper than the PS4 for 6 months or so and still sells less.  I personally feel that the XBox One needs to be a good $100 cheaper to gain proper traction.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

I don't know what people are really seeing with this redesign. I think the original Xbox One, as gargantuan as it is looks like a truly premium piece of equipment. I think this new redesign looks hella cheap. It kinda reminds me of the first generation Playstation 3 slim with more holes.

The white slim looks really nice, but my current tv stand wouldn’t allow for vertical placement of any console. I actually like my original brick. It fills the gap in the entertainment center well.

My new 4k TV already supports 4k streaming, as does the current Xbox One via Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime. So unless this new slim model has a built in 4K BR player (highly doubtful) I will likely hold off for the next revision.

4k BR Disks are $30 EACH and the cheapest player I have found is $299, adding fuel to the fire that I doubt the new model will have a 4K player. If it does though I am game.

What people have to realize about any new consumer device like 4K native bluray players is that there is a marke-up on the price of that tech at the retail side of things, so as a customer you're paying more on top of what the tech actually costs so these companies can make money off of that risky new piece of technology.

New GPU chips usually only account for about one third of the overall cost of a new Graphics Card, so Microsoft or anyone console maker likely can do it cheaper than say the dedicated Bluray Player makers because they can supplement profits elsewhere like from software and their multiplayer subscription services or other XBox/Playstation media services.
This is just a new end user device.

The world will just see this as a slim XBox One, so I doubt Microsoft would go that high price wise. It's still a device in competition with the PS4, sure it has 4K native disc playback, upscaling, HDR and a 2TB HDD, but it still has to sell.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is $299-$349, which is a much easier pill to swallow than $449, especially for a system that doesn't play games better than PS4, unless the XBox One S has a faster CPU and GPU, plus more eSRAM on die (which is possible if Microsoft have shrunk the process down from 28nm to 14nm).
Too me it makes little sense for a 1.3Tflop console to still only be 40% smaller than the launch XB1, it should be about that size even with 2X the horsepower of the launch XB1.

Regardless the design is very nice IMO, I hope Microsoft has a good reception with this.
I'm also hoping that they still have some surprises, it was an utter travesty that so much of their surprises for their E3 have been leaked.
Seeing new gameplay will be good, I suspect they have at least a couple of fresh new titles, like New IPs that haven't been leaked for this show or maybe some partner studios are working on new entries for older classic franchises.

Not long to wait now. :D

JustBeingReal said:

New GPU chips usually only account for about one third of the overall cost of a new Graphics Card

Sauce?

And the die shrink...not going to happen for the same reason as PS4. The only 14mm process currently being made by AMD is FinFet. If they were using this in the new slim model they'd have to fundementally redesign the whole system architecture from the ground up. It's likely we'll never see a die shrink at all with the 'base' PS4 and Xbox One models. FinFet will likely be used in the Neo and Scorpio.

Around the Network

phil says 299$

Well the base model has been confirmed to start at $299.

Yup, $299, knew it.

No way was MS going to charge more when they have TV spots touting the new $299 price point.

$299 is a nice price point, not to mention the addition of a removable HDD. But is the $299 console really a base model or something?

$299 for 500GB, $350 for 1TB, $399 for 2TB. 3 different SKU.