By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA + Japan Numbers out!

libellule said:
WOW

PS3 over Xbox360 was unecpected
(Xbox360 shortage maybe ??)

Wii numbers are amazing. It is selling to casual/non gamer like hot cake

Don't marginalize the Wii's success like that. Even if the casual audience is the majority of its purchases, which I can't really define the "casual audience" it certainly still is selling more units to the core audience than the PS3 or 360 is, considering its outselling them 3 to 1.

Not to mention that everyone who bought the PS3 for a blu-ray player(we can assume that its a significant number) or for their kids, also falls into the "casual audience" and reduces the PS3's core purchasers even lower.

The Wii's numbers are amazing. Period. No need to follow it up with your marginalization, angry PS3 fanboy.

Damage control was never less relevant that it was on this post. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
gebx said:
360 in Short Supply!!! <--j/k

God, this is so gonna bite me in the ass...

Hey IM STILL ALIVE. :D Ps3>360 God the tention is killing me :D

OT: Wow i wasnt ready for such a random rise in america :) happy happy happy

Outsell this week:24735units
lucky Ms cut in EU otherwise it would have been about :43000units

@ZenfoldorVGI

=> I have erased my full post so I will just focus on some points :

Why do you compare PS3 to Wii ?

Both console are selling well now. Wii is cheaper now, Wii just received Brawl, It is obvious to expect the Wii over the PS3. And I dont see how u can make a rational PS3/Wii comparaison without mentionning the price parameter ...

Why do you believe the Wii is not selling like hot cake to casual/non gamer ? 

Ninty last E3 was all about Wiifit. It is obvious to me that the Wii is focusing on casual/non gamer considering her price and al the party games u can purchase on the console.
Core gamer want to play GTA4 or GT5prologue, hardcore gamer want to play Fallout3 or Farcry2. I doubt hardcore gamers, outside Ninty fans, will prefer to buy a Wii over a PS360...

EDIT : I never claimed the Wii was only selling to casual gamer AND 230k is far from being the average weekly sales of the Wii so making comparaisong based on this number seems useless to me. 

Time to Work !

Wow, I did not expect those numbers at all.
My Wii numbers were 75k off, but my PS3 numbers were spot on, I missed the 360 by approx 12k in the wrong direction, I was dead sure 360 had the upper hand this week!

I love how everyone is jumping up and down over the Wii selling the same number it did a few weeks back and completely ignoring the other two. And why do you guys want the Wii to stomp out the life in the competition? Competition is what drives the industry, and without it we'd have to tolerate a significantly lower level of quality in everything game related. Strange behaviour if you ask me, I want competition in the market, it gives me better games in the end and drives down prices.

Now the Wii has a AAA killer ap core gamer's game in Brawl, I really don't see how you can say that the Wii is only selling to casuals. I would say that in 07 casuals made up a larger majority of total Wii sales. In 07 only Hardcore nintendo gamers, early adopters, and casuals were buying the Wii. Gamers for the most part were not. TP was really the only good game for gamers on the Wii for its first 10 months(until MP3), and gamers could play that on a Cube. I believe SMG really changed this and SSBB(In a HUGE way) will continue to bring "real" gamers onto the Wii.

The best way to look at this is look at the sales of TP. TP is selling better now than it was 1 year ago... tell me how that is happening.

2 things are possible
1. Casuals are looking for deeping gaming experiances
2. Gamers are migrating to the Wii

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

yeah wii...nice job ps3....and i cant wait to see what the numbers for EU will look like for the price slash

mesoteto said:
yeah wii...nice job ps3....and i cant wait to see what the numbers for EU will look like for the price slash

Did you see the new South Park yesterday?  I thought you might enjoy it lol, anyway as to this news, well HAHA good news all around.  Wii on top, PS3 making headway and 360 n last where it belongs.

bigjon said:
Now the Wii has a AAA killer ap core gamer's game in Brawl, I really don't see how you can say that the Wii is only selling to casuals. I would say that in 07 casuals made up a larger majority of total Wii sales. In 07 only Hardcore nintendo gamers, early adopters, and casuals were buying the Wii. Gamers for the most part were not. TP was really the only good game for gamers on the Wii for its first 10 months(until MP3), and gamers could play that on a Cube. I believe SMG really changed this and SSBB(In a HUGE way) will continue to bring "real" gamers onto the Wii.

The best way to look at this is look at the sales of TP. TP is selling better now than it was 1 year ago... tell me how that is happening.

2 things are possible
1. Casuals are looking for deeping gaming experiances
2. Gamers are migrating to the Wii

hum, NO

2007 : first purchaser : mostly hardcore gamer (Ninty fan in fact) + casual

2008 : second purchaser : mainly casual

Brawl : it is not a hardcore game, it is a hardcore/casual game it is why it is selling to everybody and moving so much console.

TP sales : you are saying the game has amazing legs as many Wii games. Isn't it expected from casual who buy games later ?

Whatever, I never said Wii is only selling to casual. But I believe they are the main purchaser (as for the PS2 since 3 years).

Time to Work !

Why did the 360 in NA numbers change

tombi123 said:
Wojtas said:
@Tombi, that is plain cherrypicking (read Fishyjoes sig for that). Fact are facts, the Wii outsells the competition by more than 2:1 in Japan, USA and 1,5:1 in Europe.

And what better proof that people want Wii if not the fact that every time there is a shipment people stare at vgc numbers and say "wow wii". Not to mention that i still hear people and companies talking about Wii shortages in the US. So what's your point?

My point is that if Nintendo could meet demand with the Wii, it wouldn't have sold 230K in NA this week...

We don't know what the typical weekly demand is at the moment, all we know it is that the public demand hasn't been satiated. There is no reason to think that once supply catches up with demand that they won't be able to sell 200k a week in the US. Its not a situation where when demand is met nobody will ever want them again, if anything there is reason to believe that the demand is currently stifled by the low supply.

I'm not saying it is gaurunteed to sell that well, just that there is no way for you to know for certain that it wouldn't.

To Each Man, Responsibility