1998 64 29.91%

2000 3 1.40%

2001 12 5.61%

2007 34 15.89%

2013 13 6.07%

Other 21 9.81%

See results 30 14.02%

Total:214

NOTE: I'm using North American release dates, but feel free to use European or Japanese dates!

With so many high-profile PS4 games launching in 2016, some fans have introduced the idea that 2016 might be the best year for the PlayStation ecosystem.

That got me thinking: what IS the best year for the PlayStation ecosystem? And that question prompted two others: what is the best year for the Xbox ecosystem? The Nintendo ecosystem?

Therefore, I've created three threads, one for each of the big three.

Best Year Ever: Nintendo
Best Year Ever: Sony
Best Year Ever: Microsoft

So let's talk Nintendo here. Which is the best overall year?

Is it 1994? That year saw Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI, Mortal Kombat 2, Super Street Fighter II, and Donkey Kong Country
Is it 1998? That year saw 1080 Snowboarding, Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, F-Zero X, Turok 2, and Roque Squadron
Is it 2000? That year saw Perfect Dark, Mario Party 2, Majora's Mask, Mario Tennis, Excitebike 64, and Banjo-Tooie
Is it 2001? That year saw Conker's Bad Fur Day, Pikmin, Smash Bros. Melee, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Advance Wars
Is it 2007? That year saw Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zack & Wiki, Radiant Dawn, and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Is it 2013? That year saw Super Mario 3D World, Fire Emblem: Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Or is it another year, and why?

Around the Network

Same answer when I give playstation's answer. 1998. It is the best year for gaming, Nintendo and Sony. (Pokemon Red and Blue released this year). 

I'd say 2001. So many great games released that year, including one of my favorites, Paper Mario.

I say 2014 simply for Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8.

1998 easily. You know why.

1997 would be second for me, because that's when the N64 was released in Europe, along with a slew of excellent games. Those two years were the best in gaming in general, including every platform. Nintendo wise I'd go with 2013 being a good recent year, but all the years you mentioned had great things.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
1998 easily. You know why.

1997 would be second for me, because that's when the N64 was released in Europe, along with a slew of excellent games. Those two years were the best in gaming in general, including every platform. Nintendo wise I'd go with 2013 being a good recent year, but all the years you mentioned had great things.

Oh I know

I'd probably have to go 1998 too - it also has Tetris DX and Body Harvest. Although I have to say: 2000 is pretty great. I could make the argument that 5 of the top 10 N64 games launched in the year 2000.

Acevil said:

Same answer when I give playstation's answer. 1998. It is the best year for gaming, Nintendo and Sony. (Pokemon Red and Blue released this year). 

Totally agree. 1998 is the best overall year for gaming. When you throw in Sega Saturn it's just unstoppable.

I wish I had a better memory of 3rd party, as I suspect there were a few years there with the NES and that transitional period between the NES and SNES that had a great lineup.

Pilotwings 64, Mario 64, DKC 3, Kirby Super Star and Mario RPG were all Nintendo titles from 1996, so that's a pretty stellar lineup even before third party is looked at.

Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI and DKC is just such a hard threesome to top though, but lord knows 1998 looks crazy good as well. I'm really struggling here.

You are all wrong ;)

1987 is the corrrect answer. (if we play by american release dates)

How about these megaton releases:

Mega Man
Castlevania
The Legend of Zelda
Punch Out
Metroid
Kid Icarus

In europe I would go with 1991 which has even more megaton releases

Little Nemo
Chip n Dale
Turtles II
SMB3